The "power" of positive thinking...do you believe in it?

by onacruse 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I most certainly do. Nearly every situation has a bright side and a negative side. When I take a hard, honest look at myself, I see that I have an innate tendency to gravitate toward the negative interpretation. So, when I make a concerted effort to look for and find the positive, things go better. I'm still the same person in the same situations, but instead of seeing the rose bush run over by the riding lawm mower, I'm noticing the gorgeous new buds that are springing up.

• Terry
    Terry

It sounds like you are passing by a lot of wonderful moments, even if you do think you're currently enjoying life to the max...

Sometimes winging our way through "lala land" can be far more effective than vascilating due to overthinking a situation. If it harm none, not every lottery ticket is a loser.

I'll take la la land over Fort Worth Texas any day!

• Terry
    Terry
    Btw, are you competing with Terry in the Avatar stakes, or did Simon just get his revenge again?

Hey! I'm the king of man boobs!!!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    Hey! I'm the king of man boobs!!!

Terry one thing I'm absolutely positive about is man boobs..........

Okay Craig wanted me to comment in this thread, LOL.

• onacruse
    onacruse

jgnat changing my avatar to a nekked Burt Reynolds has done marvels for my positive attitude about myself!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ooh, la la. My eyes, my eyes! Whatever was I thinking yesterday? LOL.

Ever notice the guys will sooner post an object of THEIR lustful thoughts, without ANY consideration for what the woman gets to look at?

• Terry
    Terry
    Nothing has given me a kick up the - ***- quite like Terry.

Awwww, shucks!

• kid-A
    kid-A

Emotions inform perception, from the mid-brain to the cortex. 75 years of neuroscience research at the biochemical, behavioural and neuroimaging levels have demonstrated this beyond doubt.

However, what is becoming increasingly clear in terms of "behavioural outcomes" is the all-important role of motivation. No actions are undertaken, and nothing is accomplished in the absence of motivated behaviour. Motivation is triggered by a particular melange of neurochemicals including dopamine and serotonin, and what we do know is that emotions strongly influence the levels of both of these neurochemicals. Depressed humans or other animals show markedly decreased levels of both, hence, the apathy and anhedonia associated with clinical depression. "Positive" emotions most definitely elevate these neurochemicals and thereby can exponentially increase motivational levels.

Where things become complicated is at the level of the individual and their unique psychological history. For some, pessimism actually becomes a positive reinforcer, the term "wallowing in self-pity" is quite apt. Humans can learn to enjoy self-pity and self-loathing and because such individuals would still be experiencing adequate levels of 'motivational' neurochemical impulses, such individuals could still lead relatively productive lives.

Its interesting that recent research is finding that "stressors" can cause the release of dopamine that is comparable to what one observes following cocaine. It is perhaps not surprising that type A individuals (high stress, pessimistic, etc) tend to have very successful careers.

• onacruse
    onacruse

kid-A, I've expressed my respect for your postings, and so let me repeat that here.

As in my other thread about "natural remedies," I've come to realize that much of what we do, or don't do, is a relatively "simple" and predictable combination of purely physical neuro-chemical responses.

Now, that of course runs against my grain!...as I like to think of myself as something more than our Sheltie, with his tummy-clock at feeding-time! LOL

However, more and more, it seems to me that "positive thinking" has as much (and perhaps more) demonstrable connection with such things as carbohydrate consumption (with the consequent insulin/serotonin production biochemistry) as anything else.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"Now, that of course runs against my grain!...as I like to think of myself as something more than our Sheltie, with his tummy-clock at feeding-time! LOL"

Thanks, and I agree with that sentiment. Human behaviour and perception may ultimately be reducible to neurochemical phenomena, but I certainly believe that the totality of human experience at the physical and psychological levels is far greater and richer than the sum of the parts, whatever those parts may be.

There is a whole sub-discipline of researchers examining nutrition-brain interactions, and its increasingly obvious that diet not only determines physical well being, but most definitely neuronal well being as well.

I try to focus on getting the essential amino acid pre-cursors into my system, which I rarely can get through my normal diet (which too often consists of a coffee and muffin for lunch!

I am experimenting with choline and tryptophan supplements, and definitely notice a change in my overall motivation and mental energy levels....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit