The arrogant skeptic thread....

by heathen 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

why is it skeptics are "arrogant" and christians are "sincere?" I calls em as I sees em. I've had enough preaching to last several lives, and don't want to hear any more of it. Discussion means everyone gets to chip in and say something. Freedom of speech means other people get to say things we may not want to hear, BUT we don't have to listen if we don't want to. But preaching is shoving dogmatism down other people's throats and expecting them to just simply agree without pointing out any flaws or expressing any doubts or citing any contrary evidence. I like this forum for the most part, I am probably a little more skeptical and pissed off than most but I try to behave.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Hortensia, I don't believe this thread was meant to imply that all skeptics are arrogant. The thread that the original post hints towards contains some very arrogant skeptics, and some that are very respectful. I don't think anyone here has a problem with respectable, productive debate.

FMZ

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Many things we take for granted today were unknown in the past. Several thousand years ago people may have scoffed at the idea that microscopic organisms exist. They couldn't be seen, therefore they didn't exist, right? Today we know better. I refuse to close my mind to possibilities simply because it can't be proven by today's science. I'm sure there are many things the human race will learn, and be able to prove scientifically in the future as our knowledge of science and technology increases. I certainly will not be "embarrassed" for keeping an open mind.

W *who knew that 640 kb of RAM would never be enough*

• heathen
    heathen

Holy smokes what replies we have here . All l can say is you can start an arrogant religionist thread if you want .Don't care at all. I did feel as if buttlight was getting some very degrading replies from our esteemed skeptics around here . Sometimes peoples problems are not so easily recognizable and dismissable. Telling people they only have psychological problems from people that may have read a book or 2 on the topic is like pissing on a house on fire . Not that psychological help is out of the question either but from somebody with a phd should draw what conclusions there are for the subject.

Humility is not only for somebody else ..................

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Is there really a person that rides around on a motorcycle with fire coming out of their body, able to ride up and down skyscraper buildings...?

Just asking

purps

That is so funny. I love your sense of humor. Loruhamah

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"who knew that 640 kb of RAM would never be enough" That is also very funny - my first computer was a 256 and I paid $2K for it and thought it a bargain. It also had windows before "windows" was ever heard of - don't remember what kind of operating system it was. guess I was being a hothead - sorry! I didn't see that the original post pointed to another discussion, went back and checked, in fact, but still couldn't see that it was pointing to another discussion. I guess I am missing something.

• misocup
    misocup

If you are interested in the paranormal, here's a site you may be interested in. www.iiihs.org

What do you think of Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted? Fav Episode?

• heathen
    heathen

misocup-- If you are asking me about ghost hunters , I watch every episode . It's interesting to see when they do show some evidence but the thing I do like is that they do take a skeptics approach but are believers in the paranormal when it comes to the evidence. They seem to do a pretty thorough job even tho some blunders mess things up and evidence is lost . They say that when a spirit manifests itself that it will zap the energy out of the equipment and create cold spots in the air. Don't know how much of it is believable but I do believe in the paranormal and my own experiences. Fav episode -- I think was the pittsburgh penitentiary where the alleged spirit manefests itself in front of the camera and runs away ,looked like a cloaked figure. or the one in the light house where they chase an entity up to the top where it looks over the banister and disappears . Freaky stuff

• misocup
    misocup

heathen

I like the episode at the lighthouse where they filmed something zipping up the stairs and saying "help me". It's not really proof for me because it's still a TV show after all, but someday when I have time I'd liek to join a ghost hunter club. The trouble is though that a lot of them will accept anything as evidence.

• misocup
    misocup

heathen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit