The arrogant skeptic thread....

by heathen 50 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Constant, but, I'm afraid the work is pro bon-um only.

oh my! you're the 'Boss'? what a coincidence!!

heathen darling,

cause buddy I've another one if you want to see it.......

interesting shape. thanks for sharing.

tetra

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

So, ummm . . . *looks left---looks right*

Whatever happened to the real Skeptic? Anyone remember him?

ESTEE

• PEC
    PEC

"Arrogant Skeptic" I resemble that remark, thank you. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I will believe in the paranormal, when I observe it personally. If I start hearing or seeing things, I will have myself committed.

Arrogant Skeptic Philip

• Kudra
    Kudra

...I don't get the flat earth analogy...

Those that believe/believed in a flat earth were the ones that were closed to scientific inquiry and chose to stay with old beliefs and superstition about falling off the edge. And I'm sure the flat-earthers had some sort of religious reason for believing the way they did... (rolling-eyes-smiley)

I think the skeptics should definitely get the ...Galileo Award!

-K

• heathen
    heathen

The flat earth analogy is in comparison to people with a closed mind , granted superstition is prevelent with humanity and most of it is completely unfounded and just a way to try to understand the fortunes and misfortunes of our existence by primitive peoples .

but what happened to all those skeptics that have all so many things they don't believe and are oh so willing to share their disbelief and not only that but remind everybody else they know so much more than they do. Give them a thread and they don't show , go figure..................... maybe all that intelligence doesn't exist either bwahahahahahaha

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    but what happened to all those skeptics that have all so many things they don't believe and are oh so willing to share their disbelief and not only that but remind everybody else they know so much more than they do. Give them a thread and they don't show , go figure.....................

Who EXACTLY was this thread really intended for?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

heathen:

Aw, boo-hoo! Did the nasty skeptics upset you by not believing every idiotic piece of nonsense that spews from your every orifice? Well tough titty. This is a discussion board. People discuss things. If you want some sort of insulation from questioning minds, perhaps you should start a thread entitled "Gullible naïfs only" wherein you can prattle on all day about whatever invisible friends and enemies you imagine are lurking behind your couch without anybody pointing out that your silly superstitions have no basis in reality.

The idea of a thread for skeptics only is, if you don't mind me saying so, supremely idiotic. What did you expect, that we would all come here and just list things that we don't believe in? Why on earth would anybody want to do that? I can summarise my skepticism very easily. I don't believe in anything that doesn't actually exist. That is, I only believe in real things, things that would still be there even if I stopped believing in them. This is just a convenient framework that sits in the back of my mind not really requiring any conscious effort on my part (i.e. I don't have to try not to believe in unicorns, their nonexistence makes it easy). It works well, and most of the time, even the most credulous simpleton uses a similar framework. It's only when someone claims knowledge of something extraordinary, the proven existence of which would change the world in unimaginable ways that I tend to step in and start asking questions. If I sometimes ask them in an abrasive or patronising way, that merely reflects my deep and abiding frustration with those who have chosen to believe rather than think.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"perhaps you should start a thread entitled "Gullible naïfs only" wherein you can prattle on all day about whatever invisible friends and enemies you imagine are lurking behind your couch without anybody pointing out that your silly superstitions have no basis in reality."

Alas, such threads seem to pop up about every 20 minutes on this DB. It appears many ex-JWs are perfectly capable of abandoning the silly belief structure imposed by the "governing boobie" in Brooklyn, but have tremendous problems giving up the idea that their "smurfs" are demonized......

• PEC
    PEC

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has ever passed the preliminary tests.

Click here to see the application.

Read the Frequently Asked Questions.

Randi's Personal FAQ.

The Log of Applicants

Take a peek inside the files of the world's most outspoken investigator of the paranormal, the psychic and the just plain weird. Click here.

Help support the JREF through donations, grants, gifts and memberships. Click here to learn more.

</form>

Home | Commentary | Lectures | $1 Million Paranormal Challenge | Swift | Library | Donations | Contact | Internet Audio Show
    Join Now | Books & Videos for Sale | About the JREF | Randi's Calendar | Scholarships and Awards | Learning Resources | Press Center

© 2006 James Randi Educational Foundation
    Typos? Format Problems? Please contact the Webmaster

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

<------------------------Runs and Hides!

Well, in the years I have been on this board, I started many ghost threads. There are always people who disagree, but give a respectful opinions. Then you get the ones who litterally make you feel crap! There have been times I wanted to cry, from what some people wrote.

There is nothing wrong with discussing things. There is nothing wrong with sceptics so long as they arent falsly accusing other posters of things that just arent true. I say argue any matter all you want to.....just do it without the rude and hurtful comments.

One thread I started a while back, I got pm's after pm's on stories posters refuse to put up, for fear they would get ripped a new butthole from certain sceptics on this board. I just think its horrible that people would love to share their experiences with those of us who believe........because of this reason!!

Maybe I should start another ghost thread! ...................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit