The arrogant skeptic thread....

by heathen 50 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't believe that man evolved from apes and I don't believe that the JW GB have been appointed by God as his channel of enlightment for the whole of mankind and to be in charge of the earthly interests of his kingdom.

• heathen
    heathen

I agree , most of those shows just look so acted out and staged events , the most haunted show is really nothing but testimony and reenactment , there is that other show with the pyschic guy who communicates with spirits , I don't get into that . The Ghost Hunters does come off as being more on the level even tho they have that one idiot that screws more stuff up than actually do anything worth the shows investment , need I say , BRIAN . Like the shaggy doo of the bunch there . You are right it is a TV show and TV is all about keeping an audience and run by greedy executives. I remember the hotel in colorado episode , the stanely , I think that had some things going on that looked for real but some did not look so real on the halloween episode , such as the voice they were communicating with in the basement . There are so many ways to fake something like that these days with electronics . I can't deny watching the door open and close in the closet while jason was sleeping in the room or the tabel that jumped and moved for apparently no reason . I don't ascribe to their theories of different kinds of spirits , some being human disembodied and others demonic or just residual where the same scene happens over again. Jesus in the bible states that the demonic spirits are one more evil than the other , so I go with that .

• kid-A
    kid-A

I'm not surprised you find us "skeptics" arrogant, Heathen. Indeed, I would be shocked if you did not find us arrogant!!!

Why? We threaten the cherished beliefs of those who so desperately NEED to believe that there is some "netherworld" inhabited by ghosts, goblins, poltergeists, ESP, psychic readings, tarot cards, fortune cookies, pieces of dust flashing across a camcorder lens, etc etc etc.....OF COURSE you have an intrinsic need to project your hostility outwards to us, the "doubters", the "nay-sayers" and anyone else who would be so bold as to throw stones of logic and reason at the glass house of human fantasy!

For most "believers" in such phenomena, these psychological constructs serve as a necessary psychological anesthesia and gives them a sense of purpose beyond their ephemeral biological existence. If you want to believe in ghosts, you will in all likelihood "believe" that the images flashing across the neuronal networks of your visual cortex somehow represent a "supernatural" phenomena beyond a simple biochemical transaction within your synapses.

Reasoning with believers in such "phantasmagoria" is exactly like attempting to use logic to reason with a JW. You can present mountains of perfectly rational, physical explanations for the imagined phenomena and it will ALL fall on deaf ears....WHY? Because you have a potent, EMOTIONAL NEED to believe in the paranormal as it is a quintessential component of your "world view". Simple as that.

I'm flattered you find me arrogant! It means I'm doing something right: using my powers of rational thought, deductive reasoning and a reliance on empirical evidence before being fooled by knaves and rubes......been there, done that.....and to paraphrase Pete Townsend: We wont get fooled again......

• heathen
    heathen

Since this thread is about to go the way of most threads (into the archives), I must declare the winner of "the most arrogant post".

kid-A will be awarded the flat earth trophy

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

oh damn. looks like i missed the award then.

tetra

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

No TS, you got the 'lifetime achievement' award.

steve

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    will be awarded the flat earth trophy

"" - that's not the shape of a flat earth! that's the shape of an upside down fist, stupid!

sounds like it's probably gonna be a dish or a frisbee, but if it's gold, i'm sure he will take it. so generous of you heathen!

tetra

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    No TS, you got the 'lifetime achievement' award.

awww! thanks! so, does that mean that i'm a consultant now? tetra

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Constant, but, I'm afraid the work is pro bon-um only.

steve

• heathen
    heathen

I never said it was the shape of a flat earth. That is the shape I'm giving , or do you doubt that as well , cause buddy I've another one if you want to see it.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit