What is your favorite Mythical creature ?

by 5go 82 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

5go, Is that your own figurine? I love that. Whenever I'd play a wizard or sorcerer in d&d, I'd always hope to get a pseudo-dragon.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

It's hard for me to peg down one in particular. In Native American myths, I am reminded of the trickster coyote who shapes the land through his cunning. In African folk tales, I always enjoyed reading about Anansi, the spider who also was able to fool all the other animals. There was a story I remember, which had a monkey who tricked the hippopotamus.

I had a book of these stories. I can't find it now.

• 5go
    5go

I wonder if the kitsune legend had any influence on my childhood favorite disney movie

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Falcor from The Neverending Story

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Definitely Pan. I was so scared of this creature when I saw his photo as a child....

• 5go
    5go

5go, Is that your own figurine? I love that. Whenever I'd play a wizard or sorcerer in d&d, I'd always hope to get a pseudo-dragon.
    No I got it off google it's a McFarlane's dragon Spawn line . Though if I see one I am getting it.

• 5go
    5go
    Jesus the christ, the messiah, who comes to the earth w a light brighter than the sun. All israel instantly believes and is converted. Then, a bunch of other stuff happens, although exactly what and in what order is in dispute.

I think you need to go to my what is your favorite pagan god topic surprised no one thought of it.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Nessie the Loch Ness monster. Always wanted to throw cabbages to him like Holly fed the dinos on "Land of the Lost."

~Sue

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I always thought Mr. Clean was pretty cool.

Rub a Dub

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

The phoenix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology)

In ancient Egyptian mythology and in myths derived from it, the phoenix or phœnix is a mythical sacred firebird.

Said to live for 500 or 1461 years (depending on the source), the phoenix is a bird with beautiful gold and red plumage. At the end of its life-cycle the phoenix builds itself a nest of cinnamon twigs that it then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises. The new phoenix embalms the ashes of the old phoenix in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis ("the city of the sun" in Greek). The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being almost immortal and invincible — a symbol of fire and divinity. Tears from a phoenix can heal wounds.

Although descriptions (and life-span) vary, the phoenix (Bennu bird) became popular in early Christian art, literature and Christian symbolism, as a symbol of Christ, and further, represented the resurrection, immortality, and the life-after-death of Jesus Christ.

Originally, the phoenix was identified by the Egyptians as a stork or heron-like bird called a benu, known from the Book of the Dead and other Egyptian texts as one of the sacred symbols of worship at Heliopolis, closely associated with the rising sun and the Egyptiansun-godRa.

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit