Why the WT Society will never sponsor a charity

by moshe 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

It also bothers me how they dismiss professions that will not be needed in the "new order" like policemen and doctors. In a single sweeping sentence my JW husband dismisses my doctor-sister's lifetime of work as a healer.

"nice"

• Zico
    Zico

Oh, but remember, they support charities by paying their taxes.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Charities at least attempt to solve societal problems. Reduced or improving societal problems are bad for WT business. Nothing left to scare the hell out of people with. The WT loves social breakdown and disorder. Make for great field service presentations.

IMHO,

Nvr

• jgnat
    jgnat
    The WT loves social breakdown and disorder. Make for great field service presentations.

AND YET it is the great democracies and reforms of the twentieth century (separation of church and state, supreme court rulings, world court, the United Nations, freedom of religion) that allows them to exist at all. Not to mention the social safety network that allows a "pioneer sister" to defer employment in the interests of the "higher goal" of field service.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I would like to see the laws governing non-profits and charities re-vamped, and that is one of my future goals, when the right time hits.

• Mary
    Mary
    if the WT Society should ever sponsor a charity for the poor they would be saying in essence to JW's, that the end is not around the corner and maybe JW's are not the only ones who God might look favorably upon. JW's might begin to see charitable work as having more value than door-to- door work , too.

Yep. I got in shit years ago by the local bozos elders for "wasting" my time taking soup to a Soup Kitchen when I should have been out there trying to drum up business for the Borg. I guess the fact that I told them I felt better doing this than knocking on doors didn't sit too well with them. I've long thought they should do charity work. It would certainly help bolster their image, which has really taken a beating in the last few years (heh-heh-heh) and would do the community some good. Alas, they wouldn't be placing as many useless magazines and might actually get to see that "worldly" people are not all the spaw of Satan like they've been taught.

I am sure there are more reasons, too.

Bottom line is: they simply don't give a crap about anyone who's homeless, destitude or depressed, unless they're a potential convert. To their weird way of thinking, any attempt to try and improve something in "this System of Things" would be like trying to tell God that we don't really need the New System of Things, mankind can fix our own problems. Let's face it: they revel in misery, rejoice in the face of catastrophe, and take delight at every bad news report-------not exactly the qualities of a charitable organization.

• moshe
    moshe

Mary, your bottom line analysis was spot on and the JW's at the Kingdom hall do have a morbid interest in bad news. Disasters perk them up,too. One thing that depresses JW's is happy people who don't need their gloom and doom crap. Needy people turn them off and as many have found in doing the fade from the KH, the elders will leave you alone , if you ask them for monetary or physical help everytime they make a so-called sheparding visit.

I posted a comment to a newspaper story about a quick build KH, that it was just another "dog bites man" story. But a real story would be when the JW's were building a soup kitchen, or homeless/battered womens shelter, etc.- since the WT Society had not one public charity that I knew of. ( no JW's offered the name of one either)

I know JW's feel embarrassed by this as they have only a lame example of re-roofing some houses in storm areas and the undocumented claim that they helped wordly , people, too. Well, I guess the WT Society would help them, if they turned over their insurance check to them like all the other JW's did. It is a profitable enerprise for them , since they use volunteer labor .

I say to JW's concerning their billion dollar WT publishing corporation,-"what would Jesus do with a billion dollars?"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The most obviously necessary charities help the most needy people.

The most needy people don't sell magazines very well, nor do they
    make great converts- too needy.

WTS is about self-preservation.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I will tell you a secret: When I finally figured out that WTS was taking our people in our Cong for a ride...I STOPPED giving in the contribution box and started helping my fellow JWs with their heating bill and food bill, for those who were stuggling to stay above water.....I also started fading at that time. I could see the writing on the wall as far as the WTS helping the poor among us, they were NOT. I didn't want to be a part of that religion anymore. The WTS was stealing from the poor to build that place called Patterson.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I say to JW's concerning their billion dollar WT publishing corporation,-"what would Jesus do with a billion dollars?"

alt WWJD ?

The Watchtower still owns the opulent Stanley theater (Saddam's palace) in New York city?While their brothers in 3rd world countries exist in cradle to grave agony. Would Jesus preach in the Stanley theater?

Built in 1928 as a vaudeville and movie house, the Stanley Theater is a massive Gothic-style structure. The 4,300-seat amphitheater is second in size on the East Coast to Radio City Music Hall, which was built in 1932. Jacob Fabian of Paterson, noted for theater construction in New Jersey, commissioned Fred Wesley Wentworth of Wentworth and (Frederick J.) Vreeland to built the movie palace.

A glittering copper marquee spans the entrance, overhanging the solid brass doors. Over the marquee are three large arched windows. Building materials include marble from Italy, Vermont and Texas, limestone from Indiana, and granite from Maine to face the Corinthian columns.

The impressive interior has a three-story lobby adorned with columns, a broad center staircase with trompe l'oeil alabaster handrails and balusters, lamps, velvet drapes, andstained class windows of faux "Chartre Blue" in the foyer. Allegorical paintings by Hungarian muralist Willy Pagany adorn the ceiling and walls. The larger of two crystal chandeliers, suspended from the second floor, is from the .....

I am not making this up click here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit