How did I conclude it was not the 'truth'?

by jgnat 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

The changes that the Apostle Paul made are still being made today. The choices are clearer as more evidence is understood.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Fred,

False is based on intent to deceive.

Not when it comes to Prophecy.

None of God's Prophets listed in the Scriptures delivered False Prophecies.

As stated in Dueteronomy, it's easy to tell if a Prophet is from God, or not.

If the prophecy does not come true, then they are False Prophets.

It is clear, then, that the JW Governing Body have been, and are now,False Prophets.

BA

• agapa37
    agapa37
    How can we be truly happy?

Irrelevant. Show me one public talk where Jesus addressed this question. Happiness shows up when we are not looking for it, very much like riches. (Proverbs 23:5)

First explain to me the connection concerning this and the scripture you used because I do not get it (Happiness shows up when we are not looking for it, very much like riches. (Proverbs 23:5)

(Happiness shows up when we are not looking for it) Yes, Jgnat that is true, however that is not the only time happiness shows up! Jesus did address happiness and how it is attained, the rest of the Bible does as well. The things we do or do not do, determines our happiness. For example, Jesus himself said:

Show me one public talk where Jesus addressed this question. Matthew 5:3-11: " When he saw the crowds he went up into the mountain; and after he sat down his disciples came to him; and he opened his mouth and began teaching them, saying:

Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

Happy are those who mourn, since they will be comforted.

Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth.

Happy are those hungering and thirsting for righteousness, since they will be filled.

Happy are the merciful, since they will be shown mercy.

Happy are the pure in heart, since they will see God.

Happy are the peaceable, since they will be called ‘sons of God.’

Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

Happy are YOU when people reproach YOU and persecute YOU and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against YOU for my sake. Rejoice and leap for joy, since YOUR reward is great in the heavens; for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to YOU .

Happiness is a pursuit and does not need to come unexpectedly.

Sincerly,

agape37

• jgnat
    jgnat

Point well taken, agapa. As a counterpoint, was Jesus' sermon intended to be an instruction manual for happiness? For instance, must we seek out persecution and opportunities to mourn to be happy? Or rather, is Jesus offering to wipe every tear from the listener's eye, for staying the course?

I also suggest that it is impossible to seek meekness. If we claim it, we've lost it.

From personal experience, I continue to maintain that happiness cannot be caught by striving for it. Happiness is a byproduct of a well-run life.

• TD
    TD

And which alternatives were superior?

Who was truer at the time, from Jesus' perspective?

There is nothing in the text that requires the "Slave" to be rewarded. The JW's own NWT says, "Happy is that slave, IF his master on arriving finds him doing so!" The statement is clearly conditional. The slave is rewarded if he is faithful and punished if he is not.

So even if we accept the prohetic meaning that the JW's assign to the parable of the wise servant as viable just for the sake of discussion, why do JW's all labor under the assumption that an appointment had to be made?

The questions of "Which alternatives were superior?" and "Who was truer at the time?" both solicit the answer that, "It must have been the JW organization by process of elimination." but this conclusion is the product of a logical fallacy -- a false dilemma.

Further, since the JW organization itself is the body which sets the criteria for answering these questions, the argument is circular as well --another logical fallacy. You never allow the framer of the question to set the criterion by which the question must be answered

For example, if we were to ask a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints the same questions, he or she would give us a different answer than the JW's. Why? Because he or she would use an entirely different theological yardstick to measure the subjective terms, "Superior" and "Truer"

• TopHat
    TopHat

Tall Penquin" "I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question." Tall Penguin"

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

For those who want to continue questioning/sharpening me as to my views, go to my new thread "Ask Fred E Hathaway a.k.a. Q. Bert" at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/131766/2343640/post.ashx#2343640. Now, back to jgnat's conclusions. Sorry for distracting you (all).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit