book: What the Bible Really Teaches - help

by found-my-way 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway
    That's an interesting thought about [1Luke and 2Luke], Fred. I haven't heard it put that way before.

Thanks. I don't think I have either.

By the way, have you ever seen the Visual Bible DVD on the book of Acts? It is a really wonderful tool to get a good cohesive look at the early congregation. It is the NIV version read word for word, with excellent quality drama. I found it at my local library, but it is available from the International Bible Society.

That sounds interesting. I've just made a note of it and intend to view it if I can.

I have been going through What Does the Bible Really Teach and am disappointed by the approach that is being taken. I thought it was to be a free bible study, but the Witnesses don't bother to stop and look up any of the Bible verses referred to in the book, so it is actually a book study, and there is quite a big difference between the two things.

I am actually quite happy with its visual, yet topical presentation. Its preface, its questions at the front and back ends of each chapter, and its appendices are really well-done, imho [in my humble opinion]. I sat in on the whole Congregational Book Study of this material and found that time and effort was given to be sure that every cited scripture was read and commented on, so as to be helpful in the field. Naturally, I would expect even greater effort to be spent with individuals and non-JW groups, so as to address each genuine perspective presented.

In studying the Bible, I read whole chapters and then ponder questions based upon what I have read--what is the writer saying, how can I apply this to my life, what other passages of Scripture deal with the topic discussed?

I, too, like to read verses in their context, both within their chapter setting and by cross-reference. The intent and its application, both historically and in my life are essential to me, also. The Bible Teach book focuses on the verses required to get the essential core. Reading by Bible writer, by chronological sequence, or topical study, are other excellent ways of reading the Bible.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Fred,

You claim to be pleased with the book. Please respond to this thread and the commentary I supplied to each paragraph of chapter 18.

Sophistry Lessons—JW Baptismal Prerequisites

I believe you are looking at the book from the perspective of doctrinal tunnel vision. I believe I can prove that is what you are doing. I invite you to try and demonstrate otherwise.

—AuldSoul

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

All that I need to say to you is: the sheep knows the voice of its master.

— Fred.

• jgnat
    jgnat

And, Fred, you have an obligation to make sure that the literature is not a wolf in sheep's clothing. Your belief should stand up to scrutiny.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

That I have done. I have seen nothing but full disclosure, despite the intense scrutiny since 1989. They excel at what the Bible teaches as far as both what to believe and how to live. I use my Bible as my manual for life. The better I understand the issues, the more valuable it becomes to me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Scrutiny includes articulating what you find pleasant, agreeable, and correct.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit