book: What the Bible Really Teaches - help

by found-my-way 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

Why do you feel that studying about the Bible is rubbish? It's important that they learn what's on your mind, so that things can be answered to your personal satisfaction. After all, isn't that what Psalm 145:16 and 2 Peter 3:9 are all about?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oops Fred you're doing it again, you're confusing the Bible with watchtower publications - it's not the same thing. *wags finger*

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

WTS publishers and publications can and do help one learn their Bible better. In fact, though I have dozens of Bible translations in my personal library and Hebrew and Greek reference material as well, I personally am using the current Examining the Scriptures Daily and 2 NWTs right now as my starting place. They serve as an excellent place to underline and make marginal notes in. Many a reference is put there as to WTS citations. I use one NWT for the Bible Teach book references, and the other for the Revelation Climax references. They serve me well on a daily basis. Each of us must remain true to our own convictions. I hope you're served well by yours, too.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep I like my NIV just fine. The NWT is out in the garage where it belongs, but the poster above that you responded to wasn't talking about the Bible. Like I said you got confused. But to each his own...

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

Last I checked, the book of Luke is otherwise known as the Gospel of Luke, and very much in the Bible. And the Draw Close book studies the Bible's look into Jehovah's 4 cardinal qualities quite deeply.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Most JW's dont refer to the book of Luke as the Gospel of Luke. that sounds too churchy to them.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

Since mrsjones5 prefers the NIV and found-my-way likes the holidays (just doesn't want her folks-in-law to know), I feel that the "Gospel of Luke" is just as good as any, especially since the physician and inspired Bible writer Luke is generally known to have written at least 2 "books": "[The Good News] According to Luke", and its sequel "Acts of the Apostles". It would be perhaps more accurate to refer to them as 1 Luke and 2 Luke (or I Luke and II Luke), like we refer to 1 Peter and 2 Peter (or I Peter and II Peter).

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

That's an interesting thought about Luke 1 and 2, Fred. I haven't heard it put that way before.

By the way, have you ever seen the Visual Bible DVD on the book of Acts? It is a really wonderful tool to get a good cohesive look at the early congregation. It is the NIV version read word for word, with excellent quality drama. I found it at my local library, but it is available from the International Bible Society.

I have been going through What Does the Bible Really Teach and am disappointed by the approach that is being taken. I thought it was to be a free bible study, but the Witnesses don't bother to stop and look up any of the Bible verses referred to in the book, so it is actually a book study, and there is quite a big difference between the two things.

In studying the Bible, I read whole chapters and then ponder questions based upon what I have read--what is the writer saying, how can I apply this to my life, what other passages of Scripture deal with the topic discussed?

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

I dont recall posting in this thread that I like holidays......Fred, you seem to be easily confused with what posters are saying. The one poster called the book, ''what the bible really teaches'' rubbish, (because it is) not the book of the Luke, not the Bible.

Remember: MEN wrote the society's publications.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

You wrote, on Feb 14, 2007, on another thread:

....maybe one day my hubby and I will be able to celebrate freely the holidays with our kids, especially birthdays, as those days are special to both him and I...

I don't know of any writings, even the Bible, that weren't written by humans, though inspired by the Creator. What's written by anyone these days must be derived from what's already written — until Satan's world is removed, I understand. Then there will be "new scrolls". It seems that we have to make the best of the "old scrolls" until the "new ones" come along.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit