Were YOU a JW Who Was Always Afraid, Depressed or Ill?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

While I was an elder (in 2 congregations), over the years, I saw MOST Witnesses that suffered from s o m e t h i n g.

Either a Witness had CHRONIC depression, mysterious ailments that were never clearly diagnosed by a doctor, or were in fear. Afraid to offend another brother's conscience.,Afraid to upset the elders. Afraid to grieve the holy spirit. Afraid to bring reproach on Jehovah's name or worse yet, his Organization.

No wonder--- JWs are always worried about EVERYTHING!

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's all due to the intense psychological pressure of the cult and the fact that it demnads much and gives little in return. Subconciously one part of the person feels unfairly treated and is angry with the other part that goes along with the exploitation. It can see through all the bogus promises and deceitful reasonings.

It happened to me while I was an active dub and it all vanished when I became inactive. Balance was restored.

• TheMan
    TheMan

That is very true. This org expects so much from people, that it's to the point where there's no excuse not to "progress," to keep up with the organization, othrwise you're viewed as being weak, or willingly grieving the holy spirit. So, to simply cope, and to avoid being harassed by the brothers, many claim to be depressed, sick, or rely on the "illness" of another family member as an excuse. It's a survival mechanism. My parents did it just to cope.

I've also seen it, though, when some actually develop depression, or a lower self esteem, due to always thinking that what they were doing was never enough. That was one thing my wife expressed. (This was especially true during assemblies and conventions - and can be very discouraging.) Sure the org tries to come across as understanding, by saying that everyone has their "limitations." For real? Thinking that I have "limitations" is supposed to make me feel better? If that doesn't make me think less of myself, I don't know what will...

• minimus
    minimus

You must "DO MORE"!!!!!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    It's all due to the intense psychological pressure of the cult and the fact that it demnads much and gives little in return.

Well said and I like even better what John said in

1 John 4:18 .There is no fear in love, but perfect love throws fear outside, because fear exercises a restraint. Indeed, he that is under fear has not been made perfect in love.

The witnesses talk a lot about love but apparently it is only in word and not in action as I too have seen as the above question puts it so well, many suffer from a variety of problems.

abr

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey MINI,

YES! YES! Please refer to Minimus' thread "How Often Do You Come to JWD a Day, ...?" Some kook goes on and on about his neuroses and has a pitiful outlook on the hand he's been dealt. I recall poster "X", who had to get 2 or 3 medical opinions to satisfy the BOE. The thread had to do with being wrongly accused by elders. Proceed at your own risk into DD-land [2700 hits since 9 January].

A nonny mus

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Absolutely - I suffered from migraines, depression, I was sick to my stomach from guilt because I could NEVER live up to what was expected, even when I was a regular pioneer with studies and preparing for meetings, doing all the readings, everything. I never felt like I was good enough.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I felt quite secure in the org. As I knew nothing else, but I have known many peers to have illness fears and depression. All that negative stuff happened to me after they pulled the rug out from under me and my structure collapsed. It lasted for many years. The only real healing from all that I've ever really had, has been on this board. Fortunately despite, the pressure and there coaxining at my lowest points, I never gave in. Now they will never get me, and I will do all I can to turn the tables. They never could have dreamed ,the internet would be there worst nightmare.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Before 75, I was afraid of Armeggedon and all the changes it would bring. After I left the organization in 83, I reprogramed my brain with sylva mind control and positive affirmations to cover over 31 years of watchtower bullshxp. So I would say during my watertower days I was always worried about something.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Always afraid (but appeared calm and confident), often depressed (wanted professional help but knew it was frowned upon), frequently ill (migraines, sleep apnea, anxiety attacks, extreme fatigue). Pretty much from age 11 on...

I'm much better now

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit