Were YOU a JW Who Was Always Afraid, Depressed or Ill?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

Thanks, minimus!

But let me tell you something: This board has been a blessing. I can really vent here, and it helps me a lot. And I've known very kind people here, willing to help!

I'll survive :) Knowing the real truth now, I no longer feel "accused". I just need to be patient.

Thanks everybody!!!

• minimus
    minimus

I'm really glad to hear that this board helps you. It makes me feel good knowing that we as a group, can help out.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

YUP.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I see more than one poster mentioned that they experienced migraines induced by JW-ism. I know a JW who has constant migraines and has tried everything (she knows of) to cure them. Hmmm. I'm wondering if the WT pressure is causing them. It may be a good opportunity to show her that the pressure isn't healthy!

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I developed depression and then anxiety and insomnia as a teenager. It still affects me as I was that way for so long, that is has almost become a natural state of being for me.

For migraine headaches, I recommend trying acupuncture. Also, therapeutic massage may help some individuals, massage to the shoulders, neck-front and back. That can be intense, for some too much so. I have intense HA due to whiplash, and massage helps for a few days but the acupuncture works better.

The anxiety has become part of my personality .

Maybe the "healing process" after getting disconnected from the Matrix will help me eliminate it.

I can so relate to that. What helped me alot, about the same time I first came to the board, was daily meditation. I did it for half an hour or so a day, and did it daily. For about two years that I kept up with that, I felt so much better, calmer. I was much less affected by external stressors. Since I've been in Seattle a few years now, gone through a year of school, moved in with my partner, I don't have a place that I feel comfortable relaxing to do meditation in. And so I've let the habit lax. I regret that a great deal, not because of guilt, but because I can feel and observe how and I feel.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I was on traquilisers when I was 11 years old thanks to my JW grandmother. Frequent bouts of depression for years afterwards. I've also found meditation and yoga to be the best cure, when you can find inner peace, that's when you can begin to heal. Not to mention this board is helping.

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

yes i am depressed.i am worried that i can't meet up to the expectation of the jws(psychologically) although physically i am able to do it

• blondie
    blondie

Not all depression is a result of being a jw...it can be a real physical illness and leaving the WTS will not cure it. The problem is that people do not get the support they need in the WTS, but get labeled and roadblocks are thrown up to prevent getting real help from a licensed, trained physician.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I agree Blondie. However being a JW definitely exacerbates depression and anxiety issues. The constant guilt, fear and negativity creates a thinking pattern that influences all areas of your life. The longer one's thinking is off the more likelihood of developing effective coping mechanisms.

• blondie
    blondie

True, CC, but then it is very likely that a person leaving the WTS will also encounter other situations that can exacerbate depression and anxiety issues. I work with people with mental illnesses and not a one is a jw but they have such situations to deal with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit