The vote is in: SCIENCE vs RELIGION......who won?

by Terry 171 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

A quick scan of these 6 pages confirms my resolve to not open threads posted by this ________. One sided bigotry and blindness to other's opinions, as pompous as any religious posters, or more. Thanks for the reminder.

• Terry
    Terry
    A quick scan of these 6 pages confirms my resolve to not open threads posted by this ________. One sided bigotry and blindness to other's opinions, as pompous as any religious posters, or more. Thanks for the reminder.

Can't imagine who you are referring to here.

Stop for a minute in your reactionary state of mind and ask yourself a question. What is a discussion forum FOR?

Discussion has to consist of ideas, opinions, disagreements, controversy, reasoning and---at best---change. The change comes when we are forced outside of our comfort zone.

You've been nudged outside of yours.

Bigotry is a rather large accusation.

Blindness to other's opinions would consist of which of the following:

1.Engaging in discussion with them

2.Dismissing others and calling them names.

If the shoe fits, as they say, wear it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    2.Dismissing others and calling them names.

Go back and look at the posts under 'Terry' for an explanation of this definition.

Goodbye.

• trevor
    trevor

I don’t get it. Terry opens up a no holds barred, frank discussion. He states his case firmly and with passion. More than this he backs his statements with logic and facts. We are invited to agree or disagree. He is accused of ‘blindness to other's opinions.’ Blindness to others opinions is a head in sand - I won’t talk to you approach. Terry answers and responds to people with his view of how the world works.

I think this is a superb thread and I mostly agree with Terry but do not endorse his dismissal of James Thomas’ philosophy. On other threads I have disagreed with Terry. He always took the trouble to answer and back his answers with thoughtful argument.

I was impressed by Terry’s approach to reality that stated that if something has no identifiable features then it does not exist in reality. A lot of people would be more aware and live happier lives if they used this as a starting point. It does not mean that this approach is infallible but it is a good starting point.

On another thread Terry stated that all emotion is generated in an attempt to protect the things we have consciously placed value on. Change the values and the emotion follows. I thought he had got it all the wrong way round until I fully examined the concept.

My ramblings are an attempt to say that robust debate is the number one way to learn and grow. The process involves disagreeing and stating why. As a result of such debates I have learned to think more objectively. I personally don’t want to have my ears tickled, I want to be challenged, ridiculed and pushed screaming into the glare of reality.

Open disagreement is not blindness but demonstrates a willingness to be challenged on our views and defend them. The loser ends up with improved vision.

• Terry
    Terry
    Go back and look at the posts under 'Terry' for an explanation of this definition.

I was hoping you had that list in front of you, but; I guess not.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL, I was upset a couple of times too before I got to perceive the genuine, although frustrated, mystical mind behind the apparently "cold" rationalistic rhetoric...

• Terry
    Terry

My ramblings are an attempt to say that robust debate is the number one way to learn and grow. The process involves disagreeing and stating why. As a result of such debates I have learned to think more objectively. I personally don’t want to have my ears tickled, I want to be challenged, ridiculed and pushed screaming into the glare of reality.

Open disagreement is not blindness but demonstrates a willingness to be challenged on our views and defend them. The loser ends up with improved vision.

Well, said!

I learn things here constantly. I'm especially thrilled when I find out I'm on the wrong track or need to rethink a position I've taken. The tickle of original feeling comes through when we see the pinprick of light penetrating the darkened areas of our knowledge thanks to someobody challenging us.

I always start out with the premise that I'm talking to fully formed adults with well-thought out opinions who can give as good as they get.

Having once fallen for what I was told just because it sounded great; I'm now a lot harder on arguments in approaching them skeptically. This isn't personal. It is practical.

For example. When the word "Spirituality" came up I challenged the definition and asked for clarification. I think got a response that was deeply insightful as to what that word meant to the person presenting it.

I use a different word to mean the same thing: temperment. But, I like the way it was used by the other party.

If I had to name the most essential ingredient to a worthwhile discussion I'd say it was the willingness to be wrong IF the other argument is more cogent and closely reasoned.

All too often concepts are floated without definitions and are detached from their referents.

But, I find such topics and contributions most enlightening.

• Terry
    Terry
    LOL, I was upset a couple of times too before I got to perceive the genuine, although frustrated, mystical mind behind the apparently "cold" rationalistic rhetoric...

Only Narkissos is allowed to call my mind "mystical"!

• fifi40
    fifi40

Sorry Terry

But I am laughing my socks off (probably a British expression, but I am sure even a bigot like you can understand it) (Oh and the bigot bit was a joke).

AKJeff, take a chill pill, no one is asking you to debate with Terry. Those that choose to, do so at their own risk and you have to keep an open mind and be prepared to do some research, be willing to learn and argue your point strongly if necessary. Some like the challenge.

You can never accuse Terry of not having done his research or of having strong reasoning for his argument. And if he appears offensive I think gently bringing this to his attention is more noble than insulting him as a person.

Still laughing..............

• Terry
    Terry
    ok your spirituality is about the purpose of your life its meaning to you (more or less material and spiritual) regarding you and others (what is the most important for you). We all have a spirit therefore a spirituality (so also a spiritual state) and were you are right is that we don't need religion for that (we have it) the only probleme that I can see with religions is to give God a meaning wich leads to war (any kind with anyone) but you also know that we are also going to war for oil for instance ...

Thanks, first of all, for an insight into how you invest your use of the term "spirituality" with meaning. I am pretty sure I understand you now.

I have to disagree with the "we all have a spirit" statement. I don't know what you mean by that. Do you mean a kind of transparent ghost which is really the true us? Do you mean electrical activity which fires our nerves? Do you mean it metaphorically? You see, I just can't get a handle on why you would assume we all have this thing you call "spirit".

But, aside from that, I would use the word TEMPERMENT.

You can take a Temperment test here:

http://www.ptypes.com/temperament_test.html

All that is (aside from the silly conclusions drawn) is a way of defining your personality into terms of how you respond emotionally to the values you have as an individual.

It is okay with me if you say "spirit" or "spirituality". I don't LIKE the word because it has a sloppy mainstream christianity smell about it. It is like chewing gum and can be blown into a big bubble or stretched way out to here...................(pop!)

I like Temperment.

So there!

What I FEEL about things is largely because of how I value things. That isn't my spirit; it is my intellect fed by my choices based on my observations and moderated by my personal taste.

You don't need all this information about me, but; it is free!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit