Did Judas Kiss Jesus to identify him or to BETRAY him? All comments welcome

by needproof 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• needproof
    needproof

There are a lot of things in Christian belief that have just came about through word of mouth. A few examples, The fruit in the garden was an apple, the snake was Satan etc.

In the Bible it does not say that Judas kissed Jesus to identify him. In fact, why would he? In a small village everybody would know who Jesus was. So Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss.

My question to believers is this: Why did Judas choose to kiss Jesus and not just point him out?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

"any believers welcom"

Well I'd love to comment but I can't as I am not a believer.

• needproof
    needproof

There you go, I changed it!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I think this is more than "common reading" (as in the other examples you gave): the narrative function of the kiss in both Matthew and Mark is to identify Jesus:

Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, "The one I will kiss is the man; arrest him." Matthew 26:48 // Mark 14:44.

This is much less clear in Luke, and of course in John where there is no Judas kiss. There the narrative function of Judas is to lead the soldiers to the place where Jesus can be found.

• needproof
    needproof

Narkisos,

Why do you think Jesus had to be identified in such a small town?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Jerusalem where the betrayal took place was not a small town but a large city where not everyone was known by everyone else, Jesus was not a native of that city and in addition the arrest occured in the night. Now why Judas chose to kiss Jesus to point him out it's hard to know, perhaps it was an act of sarcasm. As Jesus said "with a kiss do you hand over your teacher Judas?"

• needproof
    needproof

Well, the Garden of Gethsemane was located at the foot of the Mount of Olives. The Bible says that Jesus is brought from Gethsemani TO Jerusalem, through the Kidron Valley. Would not the Romans already know who Jesus was?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Maybe Jesus wasnt as famous as all that you know, maybe he only got really famous after he died and besides its not as if they could email a mugshot from the Roman FBI HQ to base camp back then!

(thanks for amending the thread title!)

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

He had already betrayed him, it was now dark and it was a sign to know which of the 12 people there in the garden was the Christ, he had his 30 pieces of silver and was giving them a sign of WHO it was

Matt 26:48 48 Now his betrayer had given them a sign, saying: “Whoever it is I kiss, this is he; take him into custody

abr

• Gordy
    Gordy
    Well, the Garden of Gethsemane was located at the foot of the Mount of Olives. The Bible says that Jesus is brought from Gethsemane TO Jerusalem, through the Kidron Valley. Would not the Romans already know who Jesus was?

No scripture says that it was the Romans came for Jesus it was the Jewish temple guard.

Matthew
    While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people

JohnSo Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.

LukeAnd Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus

While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him,

MarkJust as he was speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, appeared. With him was a crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests, the teachers of the law, and the elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit