Did Judas Kiss Jesus to identify him or to BETRAY him? All comments welcome

by needproof 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Scully,

That was a pet topic of Jorge Luis Borges (the betrayer being necessarily a co-redeemer, if not the true redeemer). Too bad he couldn't see the recently found Gospel of Judas (the interpretation of which is still debated btw).

Sad Emo,

The Roman Catholic Church does teach predestination, especially in the Augustinian tradition... although not symmetrical double predestination à la Calvin (the monk Gottschalk was condemned centuries before Calvin for a very similar thesis).

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12378a.htm (predestination, good)

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12376b.htm (predestinarianism, bad)

• bobld
    bobld

I look at it this way; Jesus could read the minds and thought of people.He chose the 12 apostles to be his close intimate friends.For years he associated with them,love them,eat with them,well hell he did everything with them.Can you imagine Jesus humbly and lovingly washing the feet of Judas.Now picture the GB/FDS humbly and lovingly washing the feet of the POPE.What I am saying, why did he select Judas in the first place? Why didn't he disfellowship him and shun him, to set an example for all true fallowers.Than no need for the kiss of death.

bob

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Judas kissed Jesus to prove to the Roman soldiers how close he was with him. So they would know that he was not lying.

CG

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

To me, even though Judas was the betrayer, he was a hero, because he fulfiled the prophecy. If he hadn't done what he did, the Romans would have not slayed Jesus. Judas was a hero. He was prophsied to fulfill the prophecy.l It was all planned out. I am sure that Judas is in heaven with Christ..

CG

• needproof
    needproof

I'm not too sure Country Girl,

as has already been pointed out there were no Romans in the Garden?

• needproof
    needproof

Good point Bob,

why the kiss, that's the question

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Same reason the crocodile had to cry.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
    By each let this be heard,
    Some do it with a bitter look,
    Some with a flattering word,
    The coward does it with a kiss,
    The brave man with a sword

Oscar Wilde, The Ballad of Reading Gaol.http://www.xs4all.nl/~androom/major/reading.htm

• mouthy
    mouthy

So happy to see that you care needsproof...!!!! Keep on asking !!! One day you might find the answers. I believe he did the kiss to indentify...also to show he was a "friend" of Jesus,,,, Like so many on earth give the kiss of death to "Their friends"?? Gotta feel remorse for poor old Judas though...He fulfilled the prophecy that it would happedn.... We just have to make sure we do not become those written in the book, >the blind,the lost,the unbelieving......

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

the conclusion that i have come to after exhaustive research is that they must have been kissing cousins.

jesus =

judas =

tetra:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit