Remember the song Make The Truth Your Own?

by pierogi 34 Replies latest jw friends

• pierogi
    pierogi

What is the WTBTS exactly saying here because they don't let you make the truth your own? Besides nicknaming the religion "the truth", this is just another example of how the WTBTS brainwash JWs to think that the truth and the Watchtower are the same thing. I think this might be why JWs, before hearing anything negative about the Watchtower, already decide that it is false or they defend it. What I really hate is when I hear JWs say "they left God" when they're talking about apostates. Apostates don't necessarily leave god, but they leave the Watchtower. What JWs don't see is that many leave to be loyal to the truth, not the Watchtower.

What does everyone here think when you heard/hear the song Make The Truth Your Own play?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi pierogi, and welcome.

I remember that song very well, it used to be one of my favourites. I never really thought that much about it though, I just sang it.

What is the WTBTS exactly saying here because they don't let you make the truth your own?

You are so right, they don't. You have to leave to realise that.

• needproof
    needproof

The song produces great emotion in me when I hear it. It is one of those thats sums up my whole experience in the Witnesses. Much like the baptism song, I can still smell it, hear it, taste it now.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Pierogi: I agree with your above assesment. It always bothered me to the point of seeing flames the way the jw's use the the word the truth. It is total brainwashing and manipulation. But that's what people in this world do. We have to be cautious like serpants as we live our life. PT Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute. We want to stay out of that category.

• Balsam
    Balsam

OMG, I learned and memorized he words to the song "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" and hummed that stuid tune for years. I was totally ate up with the bulls--t for so long. Makes me want to puke remembering how affected I was by the conventions and assemblies when they rolled around. The songs making us feel so in tune with each other which was basically totally imaginary.

• loosie
    loosie
    What I really hate is when I hear JWs say "they left God" when they're talking about apostates. Apostates don't necessarily leave god, but they leave the Watchtower.

I wholeheartlly agree with the above comment.

My mother took it to the next level though. When youwould strongly disagree with her about something (not WT related) she would ask you to come back to Jehovah. Stupid woman doesn't allow her children to have an opinion. no wonder her children don't talk to her.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

That's one of the more powerful brainwashing songs. Actually looking at the lyrics is really eye-opening...and kind of disturbing. It's hard for me to sing it at the hall.

• juni
    juni

Yes. I remember that one. Weren't those words "Make the truth your own" in the chorus line? I don't have a songbook anymore to refer. It's been so long, the songs are getting jumbled in my mind.

And DITTO to what the others have said.

BALSAM, HI - I remember my daughter and 3 other little 4 yr. olds memorized those verses and sang them on stage at the CA. Of course we all ooooed and awwwwed at the little ones. Now it makes me sick!

Juni

• ninja
    ninja

Actually I started changing the "flavour" of the song "We're Jehovah's witnesses" at a night out...I started singing it with a swing beat (gotta stop drinking whisky)....imagine Frank Sinatra singing it speeded up....while clicking his fingers....."men make god's of wood and stone...(trumpets) dah dah...but the true God they've not known(yeah)....he is God almightyyyyyy.. as hes often shown...(double bass) bah dum bah dum bah dum................the company I was in didnt approve....sorry at the mo I have too much time on my hands......he he...and yes I'm sober ; )

• pierogi
    pierogi

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum. This is basically my story: Last year my parents disassociated because of many ideas JWs were supposed to believe with no exceptions plus the WTBTS hypocrasy. I actually learned about the Watchtower UN relationship from my parents. Also, my dad taught me how ridiculous the 607 destuction of Jerusalem date is. Before I stopped going to meetings for almost a year, I researched into the UN thing a lot. We all have read the latest press release from the UN, but I also got the UN to send me one they sent out the same year the Watchtower joined. On that one it also said the criteria. I showed it to my elders when they said that the Watchtower told them that they didn't know. Then I had an argument with them that if they didn't know about that first piece of criteria (supporting the UN charter), how come they knew about the other one where they have to send them sample articles of their literature. Guess what the elders said? They said, "Well, we send our literature to many different organizations. We probably sent literature to them, not knowing that we were fullfilling the requirements." I'm not joking and it's not even funny how far they go to defend the Watchtower. This is exactly what I was saying in my first post. Anyway I said that was ridiculous. The UN doesn't say you can send how much you want whenever you want, that there was a set number of articles for a set period of time. So this in itself turned me off, also considering that when I brought the whole UN thing up with an elder, he had never heard about it before. So that is a little bit about me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit