Ridiculous trips to the 'back room'

by Esmeralda 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Hey Farkel, good to see ya man!

My sister once insisted that my father throw out a 30 year old chess set that my mom had bought him, because of the "bishops".

My mom was pissed when she found out, because it costed a lot of money *lol*

He still plays, incidentally and he's really good. Now he just plays with a cheaper set *lol*

ridiculous.
    *hug*
    essie

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I was turned down as a regular pioneer in 1969 because I read comic books and listened to Beatles music.

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I was turned down as a regular pioneer in 1969 because I read comic books and listened to Beatles music.

In about 1965, we had a "big event" in our town. A charming British dub by the name of Harold King had just been released from 20 years' imprisonment in Communist China for peddling dub bullshit and he was traveling around sharing his experiences. (There's a little blurb and picture of him in the Proclaimer's book btw.)

He was kept mostly in solitary confinement during those 20 (totally wasted) years and had no contact with the outside world and outside news. He stated during the event that he heard this strange and "bad" music from this new group called "The Beatles." He made it quite clear that music such as theirs was proof about how far the world had declined in the 20 years he had been put away.

Geeeeeesh! The Beatles were one of the VERY FEW upbeat and "feel good" music groups during those very turbulent years. Their music is downright benign and considered almost sappy today. Isn't it strange what ridiculous straws the dubs will grab to try to "prove" that their fantasies are real?

Even that goofy little dance called the "Twist" was condemned and considered immoral by the Society's publications.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• comment
    comment

Harold King was always a little strange after he came back from China. He really didn't like to be around people much anymore and talked a lot to himself. All of which is perfectly understandable in light of his long confinement.

comment

• tdogg
    tdogg

I got it for not wearing socks with my leather top-siders during the "miami vice" era. Then I got it another time just for wearing the top-siders themselves. I didn't always wear a suit jacket and that seemed to be a problem for some. The clothes-police elder was always on me even though his cheap ugly suits with huge fat tacky tie were probably more offensive to God than my bare ankles.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I don't know tdogg, there isn't much that is more offensive to God or man than "the miami vice look".

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I remember my grandmother (a lifetime dub)always used to read "Tales From the Crypt" comic books. She had the most wonderful collection. All from the 60's. I used to love to sit with her and read them. She kept them in such good condition. Somehow, my mom got it into her mind that this was a bad thing. Bringing demons into the house. She called a meeting with the brothers. They came to the house, read my poor grandmother the riot act. Told her she had to get rid of them.

When they left, my mom threw them in a pile and burned them. It was the first time I saw my grandmother cry.

A week ago, I was in a local comic book store, looking for something for my sons. I noticed the guy had "Tales" comics. We started talking, and I told him 'part' of the story. What he told me made me want to choke! A woman had just come into his store a few days prior. With a set of "Tales" comics. He paid her $300,000. She bought a new home.[>:(]

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I think I got you all beat. Mine was the stupidestest ever: An elder pulled me aside because I called my three little girls "youguys" out in service! He said the word "guys" comes from "gay" and shouldn't be used by "true Christians."

• tdogg
    tdogg

I know Six but come on now, close your eyes and remember....I can almost hear the theme song now...

• Stealth
    Stealth

I got it for showing the movie ET to some of the other children along with mine. They said that ET had too many parallels with the life of Jesus.

We used to call the back room, the beating room instead of the meeting room.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit