Crimewatch - LIVE at my flat! & Have you been a victim?

by Crumpet 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• parakeet
    parakeet

Crumpet, the best way to deter burglars is to install good dead-bolt locks on all your doors, make sure your windows lock securely, get the best alarm system you can afford (the best systems automatically call in to a central monitoring station if alarm is tripped), and finally, if possible, get a large dog. Advertise to the neighborhood that you're well protected. The burglars will pass you by and go for easier break-ins.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

CRUMPET....... I will come protect you.

I live in a fairly urban area, where cops pass by the house every 15 minutes or so. Most of my neighbors have been broken into, but we never have. I make a habit of walking to the mail box in shorts and a tank top just to remind potential bad guys that they aren't the biggest and the baddest on the block.

I've been confronted in public several times, but it was always something personal rather than property related.

Of course, if someone ever crosses the threshold into the house, they've had a bad day. But let's hope that never happens.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

My family were burgled while we were out when I was about 12. They tipped my mum's collection of plastic beads out onto the bed, but didn't fancy any of it, and made off with £6 in change.

When I was in my early twenties I left a briefcase on the car seat when I left the car for two minutes to meet someone at a train station in Runcorn. D'Oh!!!! The car window was smashed, and I found the briefcase emptied out under a bush on the edge of the carpark. There wasn't anything in it worth nicking!

That is my catalogue of crime victimhood over 35 years. I have found never having anything worth stealing a useful strategy.

On the other hand, I once dropped my purse (wallet, not handbag) containing all my cards and a chequebook, in a hotel bar, and it was handed in to reception intact.

Oh yes, I am white, and you can see where I live.....

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

CRUMPET....... I will come protect you.

I live in a fairly urban area, where cops pass by the house every 15 minutes or so. Most of my neighbors have been broken into, but we never have. I make a habit of walking to the mail box in shorts and a tank top just to remind potential bad guys that they aren't the biggest and the baddest on the block.

Ah shucks Richie - I knew I could rely on you! Do you think a full blown poster of you in my window might do the trick with a little note "I don't bite - I don't have to!"

Fe203girl - you and me both with the never having anything worth nicking - I managed to furnish my flat for about a £100 which is very very cheap. I got a brand new 4 poster bed in a sale for £28, a glass table and 4 chairs for £10, a wardrobe (which is morel like a tent) for £16, a tv stand, bookcase and lamp table for £32 from Ikea and a dressing table and drawers with 3 way mirror for £12.50 off ebay.

Parakeet - my flat is rented so no pets - though I'd love a pet!

Deeskis - hope you aren;t suggesting that good ole Scotland is crime-riddled!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

hey ..about an hour ago i hear a knock at a door and thinking it might be mine i go and open it...but it the neighbour across the hall and there is a guy at his door with a branch across his shoulder about the same size and weight as a baseball bat..he doesnt turn around so i quickly shut the door as he begins to smash the door he is standing at until the guy comes out and they start fighting in the close and then the police come..

good times

Only just read this Tij - that sounds awful! Be careful won;t you?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I got a brand new 4 poster bed in a sale for £28

cooooool

my neighbour came in to use my phone yesterday..and he was asking me if i had heard the kerfuffle (sp!) ....he was explaining that it was the guy downstairs that had tried to beat him up cos he had complained about him playing music so loud till the wee hours which was annoying him cos he had to get up at 5 to go to his work...when the upstairs neighbour had chased the downstairs guy away the downstairs guy went and phoned the police to tell them that the upstairs guy had beaten him up and smashed his windows..

they will probably be drinking together and be each others best pals and really love each other again by the end of the week

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

living in South Africa is pretty scary at the moment. Crime is really bad. My company has been broken into 6 times in the last two years. Thieves broke into our house while we were asleep, my son was very traumatised, had to take him for couselling. Both my sister in laws have been hi-jacked at gun point.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Mrs Smith - how long have you lived in SA? Is it a dramatic increase you have noticed in recent years? is it related in anyway to political instability would you say and lack of consistent government to enforce law?

(Sorry if thats too many questions - I am just interested to know as the geography of crime is something I am studying at the moment)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Crumpet, we had a breakin at our house one time when we were at an assembly. We had a house full of company and someone left the back door unlocked when they left to go to the Civic Center. Fortunately, they caught the guy.....and our dog gave him fleas.

Also, one time a group of 4 young men came into the garage at a house where I was one of the caregivers. They got the billfold of the person that I was relieving and I arrived just before the police got there. Consequently, I went to our local GI Surplus and purchased a stun gun. I keep it handy now. Just in case.

Frannie

• TopHat
    TopHat

We took a vacation on the Island of Jamacia. We had a nice cottage next to the sea..our walk on the beach soaked the sneakers on de feet. Dat evening we put de sneakers out on de parch to dry. De next morn de sneakers, dae was gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit