Crimewatch - LIVE at my flat! & Have you been a victim?

by Crumpet 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• restrangled
    restrangled

Juni, I am so sorry about your daughter! Were the rapists ever caught?

We live in an older established neighborhood. For the 18 years we have lived here we have never had anything stolen or our home broken in to.

We have the bad habit of not locking our door at night......Sons coming and going at all hours. Although with 2 Dobies I don't think anyone would want to chance it. One is police trained for personal protection.

r.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

hey ..about an hour ago i hear a knock at a door and thinking it might be mine i go and open it...but it the neighbour across the hall and there is a guy at his door with a branch across his shoulder about the same size and weight as a baseball bat..he doesnt turn around so i quickly shut the door as he begins to smash the door he is standing at until the guy comes out and they start fighting in the close and then the police come..

good times

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Least I have nothing worth nicking.

Just in case any Americans were wondering, "nicking" is Brit-glish for stealing

At a restaurant that I worked at in the 1990's, I had my car broken into, and also during an armed robbery one of the robbers (briefly) held a gun to the back of my head Surprisingly I was pretty unfazed by it. I guess I figured that being shot in the head may not be such a bad way to go, and lord knows my life was pretty sucky at the time anyways.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Whats the crime like where you live? I'd be really interested to know how many times you have been victim of a crime

I've had a vacation home here for 10 years, and lived here full-time for almost four.

Never locked the doors, leave the tops down on the convertible cars all night. This is one of the few areas where UPS and EMS will leave a package on the doorstep and it doesn't grow legs.

There was one burglary/robbery in my neighborhood two years ago after Hurricane Ivan. One neighbor had boarded up completely so the robbers removed the wood from a rear window and smashed the glass to get in. They stole his gun safe and loaded it in their pick-up. Remember the smashed glass? Did the same thing on the house next door and the owner waited in the dark and shot and killed one and held the other for Police. The robber is now serving a life sentence for murder (since his partner was killed). Obviously storms blow in a lot of trash.

I've been robbed twice while working in other cities. Both time I overpowered the attacker (s). On one of those accasions I held a pair at gun point until Police arrived where upon they promptly kicked the crap out of me and threw me into jail. Next time I just kill the bad guys and split.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

This happened before my husband's amputation. Anyway, he was going to check on his brother who was living in a boarding type apartment. It was a really low income type place. Well, I'm sitting in the car waiting for my husband and he runs out and says there's a dead man in there! I'm like "What! I want to see!". He says "No! You don't want to see!". So, I didn't go in. The man had been stabbed several times and his neck was slashed! My husband was called to be a witness of what he found. His name was put on some kind of witness list. We use to get calls from this guys family (the supposed killer) saying that their relative didn't do it. My husband didn't know who did it all he knew is what he found.

That was a pretty scarey time in my life!

• Xena
    Xena

I've had 2 cars stolen, one here in Austin and one when we lived in Ft. Lauderdale. Other than that I've been pretty lucky. Have you considered taking some self defense classes Crumpet? Someone asked about mace I believe, what about that? I carry some around with me and keep another can in the house. I'm not worried about my stuff, but if anyone tries to mess with myself or my daughter they are gonna find themselves in a world of pain!

• deeskis
    deeskis

Hi Crumpet

Years ago in Scotland we had a break-in. My parents heard noises downstairs (two storey house) My dad (elder ), grabbed the shotgun from under his bed, (lol unloaded). He ran downstairs to confront the thief who made out through the window with mum's handbag, dad chased him down the street in his Y-fronts, with the shotgun, hehe, but lost him. Meanwhile my I was woken up by the banshee's wailing, my mum yelling ring the police, as she dialed 999, I rang over the top of her and disconnected the call.... the "poliss" eventually got there! Long story short, no burgler found, one broken window, we all felt violated.

I live now in a small town in NSW, Australia, and I'm in a rural setting. I feel safe to leave the doors unlocked at all times, even when I go out. Crime is around, but not rampant. A couple of years back we were in Sydney and I foolishly left the mobile phone in the car still plugged in the the charger. We returned to find the car window smashed and the phone gone.......rang the police and reported the event, all done over the phone. End of story.

Tij......(you owe me an email!).........I remember staying at a friends from work, on the second floor, 12am my parents arrived and started smashing down the door to rescue their daughter. She was mortified cause she said everyone in the close would be talking about her

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I haven't thought about self defense classes Xena - its not a bad idea - it might be fun to do for the exercise in itself. However I don;'t feel too worried - I think I could probably handle myself and besides I look so scary that I think I'd scare most would be attackers off! ;-)

A theme seems to definitely be that rural areas are safer, urban areas less safe. Also low income areas at greater risk of crime. Its something I am just starting to study at the moment for my BA. I guess I will have to come up with some theories as to why soon ...

• anewme
    anewme

When I got out on my own at 18 I rented a very small studio in a low income neighborhood. While away on vacation an arson set fire to it. The Fire Marshall said someone piled up wood against it and set it afire. I lost everything I owned and all the pictures of my deceased mother.

Another time I owned a cute car that many boys wanted. Three times someone tried to steal it from the driveway. I got rid of it and vowed never to own a vehicle that others wanted so much. Yes, I bought a Ford Taurus after that! LOL!

Another time I rented another small cottage, lovely really, except that the next door neighbor began to threaten me with violence and arson again and I quickly moved from that cute place.

Seriously Crumpet, after the dfing I just HAD TO GET AWAY FROM EVERYBODY! So me and my bf moved to the mountains and found a cabin near a creek. No one comes down our bumpy dirt road. We have a big iron gate and fence with five "No Trespassing!" signs warning everyone to stay away. That suits me fine. I have to drive a long distance to work and to town now Crumpy, but it is WORTH IT!
    I was just thinking yesterday how secure I feel here! Peace and security! (I know, no one is totally secure) But when all hell brakes loose in the cities, I know I will be better off up here.

Please take care dear Crumpet!

Anewme

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I will take care anewme! I am so sorry that you had to suffer that at 18 and having lost your mother too. That truly is horrendous. I am so glad you have found a semblance of peace and security now. You must post some pics some day - I'd love to see your neck of the woods.

Anyway the good news is that the break in next door but one was actually the tenants breaking in as they had lost their keys and couldnt wait for a locksmith because the cats inside had to be fed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit