Did Prince Just Say Goodbye to the Jehovah's Witnesses?

by ithinkisee 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

What do you think?

http://allied.blogspot.com/2007/02/prince-says-goodbye-to-jehovahs.html

Any music fan who watched the Super Bowl last night could rightly walk into work this morning and say, "Did you see the bears and colts play football during Prince's Concert?"

(Reprinted from the link above)

It was that good. And, at other levels, it was interesting too.

For any artist familiar with the restrictive, cultish tactics of the jehovah's witnesses, watching the halftime show at this year's Super Bowl represented a lot more than catching a great live concert by Prince. The entire performance was riddled with symbolism that could only leave current and former JWs doing double take after double take, wondering what Prince was trying to 'say'.

I think Prince's merging of All Along the Watchtower with Foo Figher's The Best of You, followed up by Purple Rain, performed while doning his classic symbol, his signature guitar magnified as it rippled against the night sky, full and phallic, larger than life against a ghostly white backdrop, was Prince's way of saying goodbye to the Organization, was Prince's way of saying, "you're not messin with me anymore."

Maybe I'm projectiong. Maybe not.

It's not a simple thing -- the passionate belief and seeking of Truth, the sacrifice of self, the heart vs the mind, all targeted by well-honed thought control vs the single thread of hope for what being human means: Freedom of thought. You kind of have to have been there to grok it.

What I think? That Artist giving that performance at that event, performing those songs that way, wearing that symbol on that stage -- I think he just said goodbye to the Watchtower.

And if he didn't, and they don't disfellowship him for that display, well--it only further demonstrates the hypocrisy of the JWs that makes for madness in those who've ever been shamed at a Kingdom Hall.

(Video Transcription)
    Prince's Watchtower Medley

All along the watchtower
    princes kept a view
    while the women came and wept
    their foot servants too
    outside in the cold distance
    a wild cat did growl
    two riders were approaching
    and the wind began to howl

I ain't going on to someone new
    I needed somewhere to hang my head
    Without your noose
    You gave me something that I didn't have
    But had no use

I was too weak to give in
    Too strong to lose

My heart is under arrest again
    But I'll break loose
    My head is giving me life or death
    I Will Choose

I swear I'd never give in
    'cause I refuse.

is someone getting the best (the best the best the best) of you?

Is someone taking your faith?
    Its real, the pain you feel
    you must confess.

Is someone getting the best (the best the best the best) of you?
    [solo]
    ...the best the best the best of you?

I got another confession
    my friend,
    I ain't no fool.
    http://allied.blogspot.com/2007/02/prince-says-goodbye-to-jehovahs.html

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Dare we think it? That would b so good.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Amazing choice of lyrics.

All along the watchtower
    princes kept a view

I wonder if Prince knew this line before being baptised and considered it an omen that he should be associated with the Watchtower.

You gave me something that I didn't have
    But had no use

Is someone taking your faith?
    I got another confession
    my friend,
    I ain't no fool.

These could be lyrics of goodbye to the cult, but then again, if he still believes he could be saying that people in the world are deceived.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Time will tell, of course, but it would be good if he was saying goodbye.

I doubt they'd df him, they tend to look kindly on people who are able to contribute plenty of money, and excuse things that the less well off jws would get into trouble for.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/128742/1.ashx

Did you see this thread guys? Doesn't look like he's leaving anytime soon.

I would say it sounds like he had a different message in mind.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    PAUL IS DEAD.
    Phil Collins witnessed a murder.

You can read alot into something that isn't there, and you can convince
    people that it is true. Prince did nothing, of itself on television, that could
    get him disfellowshipped. He just lives on the fringes of the organization when
    it comes to his show. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't read so much into his
    choice of songs and words.

I get kind of tired of Witness views of things that aren't accurate. A single guy
    can't sit next to the single lady he is dating while attending KH meetings, unless
    they are officially engaged. You can't take a job that causes you to miss the
    meetings. Don't go to college. Stuff like this won't get you disfellowshipped by
    most congregations, and if you stick up for yourself, they would never be DF offences.

Similarly, holding a (phallic symbol) guitar, playing worldly themes with your shirt
    unbuttoned- that is not a DF act, like reading a book (by a former member) or
    questioning a changed doctrine of the GB, or having a meal with your (DF'ed)
    grandchild or grandparent. Those are clearly DF actions.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Last night they showed a clip of Prince's super bowl hafltime show. During the performance of purple rain, between some of the lyrics he mouthed some words as he looked to the sky. I'm no lip reader but it looked to me like he said "thank you Jehovah". I'm going to try and find a vid of it on YouTube.

• lawrence
    lawrence

I read the news today oh boy, about a lucky man who left the Borg....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I read the news today oh boy, about a lucky man who left the Borg....

They almost blew his mind out with doctrine
    But he noticed the new light had changed.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

the first set of lyrics are from bob dylan's "all along the watchtower" and the rest of the lyrics are from a foo fighters song.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit