Need a little education- What does it mean to be a publisher?

by inlove2 11 Replies latest jw friends

• inlove2
    inlove2

I've been going to meeting with my JW husband, and have heard the term at the KH. and now I have heard it here. I don't want to ask my husband because it just gives him a reason to preach (witness) to me.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi inlove2, and welcome

The jws use the term "publisher" to identify anyone, apart from pioneers, who are full time preachers, that goes in the field service. Even those yet to be baptised, who are not yet fully - fledged jws but go out preaching are referred to as "unbaptised publishers".

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

When you are raised as a JW, as a child you can become a ''publisher''. I became a publisher at 12, but many children can be much younger and become a publisher.

All it means is that you officially report the time you put in the door to door work. (everyone who is a publisher, baptized or unbaptized, must turn in a monthly report.)

They write down the amount of hours they put in, and the number of publications/magazines they place with people, and if any - the number of bible studies they have with other interested persons.

There is a report slip that all publishers fill out, and put into a box at the KingdomHall at the end of every month.

You must be a publisher before getting baptized.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Silly isn't it inlove2??? All these terminology for just people who are no different than anyone else and again the sad thing is the Bible doesnt advocate it or tell anyone to do it instead it says in

Gal 6:3,4 3 If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important. 4 Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.

All these horn and trumpet blowing never sat well with me even when I was a pioneer or elder, the term minister means to go through the dust not dust in the air because we are full of hot air. Such a lack of humility, Jesus when they came to make him king he fled into the mountains, quite a different attitude today.

abr

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    What does it mean to be a publisher?

The JW meaning of the word "publisher" refers to a person who submits to the Watchtower's self-appointed authority, promotes Watchtower propaganda, silently obeys Watchtower dictates, reports propagandist activity to the Watchtower, and has no life beyond the Watchtower.

W

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

The JW meaning of the word "publisher" refers to a person who submits to the Watchtower's self-appointed authority, promotes Watchtower propaganda, silently obeys Watchtower dictates, reports propagandist activity to the Watchtower, and has no life beyond the Watchtower.

W

Soooooo true!

• greendawn
    greendawn

In their lingo a publisher is someone that preaches on behalf of the WTS, naturally the things they want to be preached ie their propaganda. It's a strange name used where evangeliser would be the correct word. Publisher smacks too much of commercial activity and perhaps that's what it is. A company that publishes books and magazines for profit.

• inlove2
    inlove2

Thanks everyone. I got it.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

inlove2 -- I just read your profile. I hope your spouse doesn't try to force this religion on you. Must be hard for you now that he returned to the JWs. Be careful, sometimes they are very clever at making their beliefs sound good. Also--does your spouse know you visit this site? The JWs think this is an evil apostate website.

• blondie
    blondie

Just a note: One has to be pre-approved by 2 elders to be qualified/listed as an "unbaptized" publisher. There are several questions in the Organized book (given only to people approaching baptism--contains baptism questions covered by elders just prior to baptism not to be confused with these preliminary questions) that are asked, dealing with smoking, sexual activities, having resigned from any church you belong to, etc.. Then an announcment is made at the Service meeting that you are now an "unbaptized publisher." The hitch is that if you screw up and do something that a baptized JW could be disfellowshipped for, they will announce that you are no longer an unbaptized publisher which puts the mark on you that you are dangerous association.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit