What's the next BIG thing?

by nicolaou 26 Replies latest social current

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have a strong feeling that there may be new light on whether or not the people in Sodom and Gomorrah will be resurrected.

Rub a Dub

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

So what's the next BIG thing? For good or ill?

The results of ignoring global climate change.

If we as a nation continue to not act expediently to slow it down by decreasing use of fossil fuel, we may very well NOT be remembered for that OR for anything.

Then again, maybe we'll be remembered for really pissing off the entire Middle East and starting WWIII, the way things are sounding now in the White House, precisely as the result of our dependence on fossil fuels and because our president is stoopid and people keep letting themselves get duped by all the threats that he perceives and then either proceeds to create or to exacerbate.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Religious accountability...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

In 5 years Google will advance to the point that you will be able to type in a persons name and know where they were and what they were doing at any given point in time. (Elsewhere, 5:23 PM CST, Feb. 5th, 2012)

There are a lot of cameras out there right now and on average a person is recorded several dozen times a day. The number of cameras will only increase. Now imagine having all of that video streaming live, archived and searchable with face recognition.

I wonder if it will become fashionable to wear a mask in protest. I wonder if it will become illegal to wear a mask.

• Scully
    Scully
    I wonder if it will become fashionable to wear a mask in protest. I wonder if it will become illegal to wear a mask.

The way around that is to have/create a religion where wearing a mask or face covering in public is an article of faith, and voilĂ ! you have a loophole.

For example, you could take the scripture at Romans 12:3 where it says "I tell everyone among YOU not to think more of himself than it is necessary to think" and interpret it to mean that physical attractiveness is a form of idolatry - therefore in order to not inadvertently idolize oneself or others of your faith, you all wear face coverings.

That being said, I think one of the next big things that will happen in this century is that religion will lose much of the privilege it enjoys in our society currently. Governments are losing such a huge source of revenue in granting tax-free status to religious groups, and the people are paying for it in higher taxes themselves. Churches have been a tax-free sacred cow for a long time and it seems to have run its course.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I agree with W.Once and Madame,

Global warming is happening right before our very eyes, my family is completely oblivious to it and dont want to hear it and the nuclear thing is only a matter of time. Sad as the more technology we have the more progress we make the further we fall behind.

It makes you wonder how much more progress can we take?

abr

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Depressingly, I think Wasanelder is right on the money;

A nuclear device will be detonated in a populated area, either by a nation or a terrorist group. Who? When? Where? Don't know, but it's coming.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Jesus' second comming. It's going to happen in my lifetime, I know it because the bible tells me. All the signs are there. I've got my rapture letters (http://www.raptureletters.com/ ) ready to go to my loved ones on the big day and now I'm just-a-waitin! And waiting. And waiting.

On an equal note, I believe that it won't be long before they genetically modify cows so they do not produce greenhouse gasses.

Kwin

• proplog2
    proplog2

I also believe that a nuclear bomb will be exploded in a major city. But, I don't think it will be terrorists. I think it will be Russians and it will be blamed on terrorists. The purpose? to set the US back economically and break up their hegemony and distract the USA from pushing NATO into Georgia, Ukraine etc.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The next BIG thing will be ink jet printers.

I spent some time with some Japanese engineers and they were explaining to me where this technology is, and where it's going.

Let me explain why. There is a new flat screen TV coming out at the end of this year called SED ( Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display). The process is similar to conventional CRT displays, in that a stream of electrons whizz through a vacuum and strike phosphorus to make it glow. However, each pixel on the display acts as a separate CRT, with its own electron gun. To create the panel they load up an ink jet printer with various "inks" of circuit board materials and then "print" the board, layer by layer.

The technology is so flexible, and because it works at microscopic levels, in the future you will see construction sites with hugh ink jet printers building houses and offices and bridges as well as a system where for ink they use cultured cells to grow, three dimensionally, human parts.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit