'THE DAWKINS DELUSION' New book responds to Dawkins 'The God Delusion'

by nicolaou 79 Replies latest social current

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

In the wake of Richard Dawkins bestseller 'The God Delusion' (which I and many others here have read) there has been a good deal of rebuttal from the 'faith' community. Now a new book is out published by Alister McGrath, professor of theology at Oxford University. It is entitled 'The Dawkins Delusion'.

Has anyone read it or ordered it yet?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I haven't read it but I have now put it on the TOP of my list. I have always said the same thing about Dawkins as the title of this article states and that is he thinks HE is some type of God. Thanks for sharing this. Lilly

• done4good
    done4good

No, but it seems an interesting take on the subject. Although an atheist in the true sense myself, I agree that Dawkins is about as dogmatic about religion in "The God Delusion", as the worst religionists. Although there was some very sound reasoning in his book, the underlying dogmatism did indeed take away from his argument.

j

• Clam
    Clam

Sounds interesting. I see Amazon have it as only being released on 1st February. Quoting from the Mail on Sunday article :

Aware of the moral obligation of a critic of religion to deal with this phenomenon at its best and most persuasive, many atheists have been disturbed by Dawkins's crude stereotypes and seemingly pathological hostility towards religion. In fact, The God Delusion might turn out to be a monumental own goal - persuading people that atheism is just as intolerant as the worst that religion can offer.

This is how I've always seen Dawkins. I don't have a problem with his ideas, just his delivery. He's pretty arrogant and up himself. I'm sure that must get in the way of the message.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Dawkins to me, comes across as an angry man out to prove God is a delusion with the hope that all religious people will thank him profusely for opening their eyes. What a moron!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Dawkins to me, comes across as an angry man out to prove God is a delusion with the hope that all religious people will thank him profusely for opening their eyes. What a moron!

I'm guessing you've read his book and, rather than addressing what he wrote with an informed rebuttal, you chose the more difficult option of forming a well rounded personal attack. Kudos to you! Well done TopHat.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Yes, I have read Dawkins book

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So where in the book did you get the impression that Dawkins "hope[s] that all religious people will thank him profusely for opening their eyes"?

An ad hominem attack is no less condemnable for it having been informed. Attack the arguments, not the man.

• skyking
    skyking

As a few posters remember I had a heated discussion about this book. I said about the same thing as the above article does that Dawkins has made himself God. I believe in evolution and I am ashamed of Richard Dawkins line of thinking in this book. He does the same thing as he is slamming the religionist of doing. I will never look up to the man again. I feel just as the above article like Michael Ruse commented here is the quot.

Michael Ruse, who describes himself as a 'hardline Darwinian' philosopher, confessed that The God Delusion made him 'embarrassed to be an atheist'.

I am glad to see other people that saw the book the same as I.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

of course dawkins is a god of sorts. and it's not because he is the only god, lilly. it's because everyone is, including you, whether you consider yourself one or not. dawkins just has the ability to see things as they are a little more clearly than others.

people say that dawkins is rude. well, i see remarks like that as this:

someone is finally standing up, and calling it as he sees it, and all the religious people are wailing and moaning about it. and i can see why. afterall, centuries upon centuries of polite treatment would lead a religious person to think that their faith actually deserves polite, uncritical, treatment. this of course is not the case, and frankly it's high time that atheists grew some balls and started giving believers a taste of their own medicine! in the states, polls have shown that over and above rapists and neonazis, that atheists are the most unamerican people. yet, christians make up 75% of the regular population, AND 75% of the prison population. and people still have the audacity to treat atheists like they are sub human, and gnash their teeth when atheists turn around and speak critically of christianity. well, believe me when i say that such so-called "rude" rhetoric towards faith is not going anywhere anytime soon. next stop: islam.

and of course, i find it humorous that people get their panties all in a knot about a human acting like he was some sort of god, but have no problem accepting that there is some guy named santa claus running the north pole invisible god running the show up in heaven. so, in other words, some humans side with an invisible friend that is not apparent to everyone over a fellow human being. THAT is dangerous and needs to be addressed. some ideas and beliefs are simply NOT EQUAL, and need to be treated as such.

thank dawkins for people like richard!

tetra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit