What are your favorite top 5 science fiction movies of all time?

by new boy 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

In no particular order:

• The Day The Earth Stood Still
    • Forbidden Planet
    • Star Trek: First Contact
    • Enemy Mine
    • Fantastic Planet (bizarre animated French film from the 60s)
  • tijkmo
    tijkmo

terminator 2

blade runner

twelve monkeys

total recall

2001 a space odyssey

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

1) Star Wars (original)

2) 2001: A Space Odyssey

3) Alien (Because I also love horror films, and in the first one, before you knew about the aliens, it was kindof a combination of sci-fi and horror.)

4) Dune (I actually didn't much like the book-to-movie transition, neither version (1984 or 2000) did Frank Herbert's story justice, but I still have to include it...and for Trek fans, the 84 version has Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck.)

5) Blade Runner

Honorable Mentions:

All the Star Trek movies, the original Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Matrix (mostly for the special effects), Logan's Run

Cult Classics:

Too campy and/or funny to be serious contenders, but still good in their own cult classic way...

Time Bandits (Monty Python fans, rejoice)

The Adventures of Buckeroo Banzai

Ice Pirates

Worst of Sci-fi:

1) Battlefield Earth: I hate John Travolta, this movie showcases why.

2) I, Robot: I like Will Smith, but this movie totally mangled Isaac Asimov's concepts, his three laws of robotics are practically the bible of robots post-'Frankenstein Complex", you just don't mess with that. Furthermore, the Dr Susan Calvin character becomes too humanized as Smith's character's love interest, what made her interesting in all of Asimov's stories that she was featured in was that she was more robot than the robots.

3) Running Man: Almost totally removed all the elements of social commentary from Stephen King's only full length sci-fi story (under his pen name of Richard Bachman) and made it a Schwarzenegger action movie with a completely different ending.

4) Starship Troopers: Mangled Heinlein's book. At least Denise Richards is pretty to look at.

Story I would most like to see made into a sci-fi movie:

Riverworld, by Phillip Jose Farmer.

Who is your favorite real life character in all of history? They can all be in this story, and one of my own personal favorites, Mark Twain, is. The premise of the story is that everybody who ever lived wakes up in a giant world with one long river valley, surrounded by impassable mountains to seperate different zones. There is no technology present until it can be invented, except for the "grail" that everyone owns which produces food. If you are killed, you wake up the next morning in a different zone.

Note: I almost put this as my #5 for worst movies, because it actually has been done already, as a very bad made-for-tv cable special. It needs to be done again, but good

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    2. Metropolis
    3. Brazil
    4. Eraserhead
    5. The Day the Earth Stood Still

• Collegegurl
    Collegegurl

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back(close tie with A New hope)

Serenity(That movie was awesome)

Star Trek First Contact

The Matrix(first R rated movie I saw)

Galaxy Quest( no matter how many times I see this movie I die of laughter)

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

Logans Run

Alien

Total Recall

Planet of the Apes(origianal)

• Terry
    Terry

Generally, you'll get a snapshot of the time period a person grew up in when such a question is asked or answered.

Older people will cite older films and younger people will list newer films.

These are the films that had the greatest emotional impact on me when I saw them in the theatre for the first time.

The Thing from Another World (1951)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

War of the Worlds (1953)

This Island Earth (1955)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

The Fly (1958)

It-the Terror from Beyond Space (1958)

The Time Machine (1960)

Queen of Blood (1966)

Clockwork Orange (1971)

Omega Man (1971)

Star Wars (1977)

Alien (1979)

Road Warrior (1981)

Blade Runner (1982)

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

1. Soylent Green

2. Mad Max: Beyond Thunder Dome

3. Escape from New York

4. Total Recall

5. Blade Runner

I saw Children of Men recently which was really good, but it really didn't seem like sci-fi.(even though it was)

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

OPEN YOUR MIND QUADE.... OPEN YOUR MIND!!!!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Does Hellraiser come under the Horror Genre under Sci Fi.

I can't say a top 5 but I'm glad Tij added terminator 2 - awesome movie.

All of the Alien films (yes even no 4) but the second one with little Newt was my favourite.

I recently watched a really good gary Sinise and Madelein Stowe movie based on a Philip K Dick which I really enjoyed.

All of the Star Trek movies - which reminds me are they going to make anymore does anyone know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit