Hunting!

by zack 55 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

All your input is greatly appreciated. I personally do not find hunting for food objectionable at all. I am a meat eater and

enjoy a burger or pork ribs like anyone else. I enjoy all seafood (well, almost all seafood). I had two threads going because I thought

the first had not posted. I think this is a subject many people are passionate about, one way or the other. If I have any objection it is

when a beautiful and magnificent beast is felled as a trophy. However, I would not impose my own personal feelings on others and try

to legislate against their freedom in this matter. The WTS has been very anti-hunting as of late, which is why I asked. Thanks for all

your replys.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I like fresh fish, so I go fishing. I like venison, bear, and wild turkey too, so I hunt. The law allows me to do so, and I obey the laws that govern hunting, fishing, and the posession of firearms. I really don't care if people disagree with it or not. If I yielded every time someone disagreed with me I would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

What bothers me is the wanton, inhumane harvesting of cute little fruits and vegetables. Tomatoes cut down in their prime, just to be squashed and made into ketchup! Oranges made into juice! Cabbage shredded alive just to be made into cole slaw! I hear my turnips screaming for their freedom!

W

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just stumbled across this thread and felt compelled to resurrect it and add a JW twist.

Every good dubbie knows that if you're hunting for the "thrill of the kill" that's wrong. So, just to mess with dubbie minds, I like to say that I used to like fishing but that I had to give it up. Good dubs will ask why and I reply that, try as I might, I just can't help feeling a THRILL whenever I get a fish on the hook. And even though I eat what I catch, if I'm honest with myself, it's that THRILL that keeps me coming back for more. So, my bible-trained conscience says I have to stop.

I think serious dubbie anglers hate my guts. I'm just messin' with 'em though. Tee hee.

BTW, I love to fish but don't have the time anymore. Never had the stomach for hunting, but am sure I'd get the stomach for it once my own stomach started growling too loud in a survival situation.

Nice posts by skyking and Seeker 4.

Seeker 4 said:

Most people in first world countries are completely disassociated from where their meat, vegetables and fruits come from.

I couldn't agree more. This may seem a little off-topic, but I think our urbanized pre-packaged life also has made us disassociated with the whole human death process as well. In the days when grandpa was laid out on the kitchen table for a wake and then buried by hand up on the hill (hopefully away from drinking water sources) death was much more real to people. Now it's a sanitized, abstract concept.

And on that happy note, have a great Memorial Day weekend (for the Yanks) and a great regular weekend for everyone else!

Open Mind

• Navigator
    Navigator

I really don't enjoy hunting having satisfied my yen for that on the Ho Chi Minh Trail hunting game that could shoot back. I've seen what can happen, however, when the balance of nature gets out of control. I know that someone has to "harvest" those excess deer or they would likely all starve to death. I would rather it be someone other than me. My first job out of college was as a Highway Engineer in Big Bend National Park. Due to a rabies scare, the Park Rangers shot all of the coyotes in the park. What they forgot was that the coyotes were the control on the rabbits. You wouldn't believe how those rabbits multiplied. I couldn't drive 5 miles in the park without killing 4 or 5 with my car. The rabbits ate every blade of grass in the park. The vultures had a field day. Since the traffic in Big Bend was pretty light, the vultures would get so gorged with rabbit that they couldn't get out of the way when a car came along. A vulture makes a horrible mess on the front grill of a car when hit at 40 or 50 miles per hour. I am also aware that the most dangerous thing in the world is a "city boy" in the woods with a gun.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hey Navigator,

I was cracking up reading about how things went from bad to worse. It's pretty funny/sad how humans try to "fix" things isn't it?

Open Mind

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Never been hunting, but I sure love shooting my guns. Afterall, "Happiness is a warm gun"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit