How ambitious were you as a JW?

by OnTheWayOut 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Dang, I knew it, i should have just waited a little more ... Cuz I would make a great dictator, have all those minions worship me and .... *okay, time to wake up now from that daydream*

• CD
    CD

I was not overly ambitious in this ORG.. I aux pioneered a few times & made it 2 be a MS. However, I never had the desire 2 be an Elder.....& lost the MS status, before reaching the level of giving public talks. :) I studied well for meetings, but never kept all with reading all the books/mags/etc. When I needed to read it, I did. If it was not required, I did not read it.

CD.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Viv and I are of the same sex, so no ambo in the jw religion. I did pioneer, served where the need was greater for years. But since I refused to marry a dude that was a JW (or any man for that matter), I was stuck where I was. Which was a good thing, cause then I decided my next mountain to climb was secondary schooling (tisk, tisk all the JWs said, while shaking their bobble heads) and then I slowly faded, I used the many excuses, night school, long work hours and now I am where I want to be ... HERE. The most perfect place in the world. Absent the fact that I am working in a white male dominated field that is still filled with 1950's thinking. The upside, the industry is changing unlike a male dominated religion!

• mia_b
    mia_b

I was one of those who was labelled as "no good" so found it hard to even make friends...

I did 3 months of auxillary pioneering when i was trying really hard but got no support and that was that.

• RAF
    RAF

as ambitious as a Goldfish ...

I got over at a bit over 7 years old after a preaching tour (LOL) ... A leader (don't know if he was an elder or what) mistread the old man I went on service with (he was drunk)

But now that I think about it - it was obvious before he have been sent - they should have known better and tell him to stay at home instead of sending him anyway, a plus with a litlle girl

This bro have always been very nice to me and my familly (and others - his familly was not JW - her daughter is also named Corinne - and his name is Robert ... it's weird I do remember all this

It really HIT ME ... just realising how Jerks they have been to him ... I thought Ok count me out ! ... I've left at 12 (not because I coudn't believe in the doctrine (never really checked at that time) I just couldn't stand most of the rulers ... And wondered why most of the Jerks are rewarded and the nice once are treated like shit).

• dh
    dh

I got to No. 4 talks and microphones, then I got 'counselled' and demoted, lol, then shortly after that I left because of the demons. I was 18ish.

Forgot to add, I also aux pioneered twice and falsified the hours both times like all good pioneers do.

• zack
    zack

I was raised in the "Truth" and pioneered, MS, Elder, Circuit responsibilities, etc.... I actually did it because I beleived I was doing

God's will. The only thing I had ever known was this religion. Being appointed an elder was not like getting a promotion at work. It felt

for me like a validation of my service to God and love for him. To me it meant I could now be in the position to minister to the flock of

God. I saw so many people, what I call the "little people" --- those who believe, those who think that they can never do enough to

please God, the one's who would scrimp and save to go to an assembly, the single mom with three kids who could barely make it

on her income, the sister who had spurned a marriage proposal from a good man because he wasn't a JW--- I thought I could help,

I thought i could make a difference, I thought that if they could love Christ like I did then they could find joy in their right choices....

Perhaps if I had never been appointed an elder I would still believe, although it was pioneer school that opened my eyes to the

Org.'s indoctrination. Before pioneer school I thought I was serving God and Christ. I found out I was expected to serve the Org., the

GB, without question or hesitation. I had many reservations prior to that but BELIEVED I was doing God's will. After finding out I

was really doing man's will, it all started to crumble. After the scales fell off I did see that there is not only ambition, but politics

that would make Karl Rove seem like a novice. Pride, ambition, politics, envy, jealousy,----all this I saw from the top down. It

wasn't isolated, it was not a case of "imperfection". It was systemic. It was, I saw, inevitable.

So, I was not ambitious. I was gullible and naive. I often prayed to God to let his will be known in my life----- and HERE I AM!

• Ken O
    Ken O

I started out just wanting to be of some use, to help. Got baptized at 17 and went on to mic handler, magazine and later literature assistant...later a MS and Aux Pio'd alot. Married a PIO but she left the list because we had to LIVE...you know, make money to pay the rent, etc. THOUGHT I wanted to be an Elder. I was deleted because I moved to another state for my retail mgr job and they decided not to recommend me to the new cong...which they didn't tell me until three months after I moved...and over the phone! Moved back to KS and became irregular/inactive...later became a cop..left for the WTS and then went back to being a cop when I realized they were totally wrong and I'd spent two whole years out of it just because I was trying to please men. SO.....yeah..I think that covers it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks all for your responses, WELCOME Ken O.

I am happy that you broke free. From my readings on JWD,
    it seems that many were hard-core WT doctrine supporters
    that opened their eyes, not sinners that got DF'ed and drifted
    away (although we have some of those, too). Another big
    group is the young ones who grew up in the cult, but did not
    make the cult their own. Great stories.

• R.F.
    R.F.

I was very ambitious.

I made became an MS about a year after baptism and started pioneering around the same time. Everyone expected me to make Elder withing a few years. I was a company man through and through. I had goals of serving at bethel, MTS, and eventually going to Gilead. I even wanted to be a traveling overseer one day. That all changed over time as I saw the hypocritical nature of the org, which led to me really researching doctrinal points that I had serious doubts about. And now i'm here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit