Why Can You See Through the Watchtower While Others Cannot?

by The wanderer 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I think there are 2 main types of JW's who voluntarily become 'Awake!' and "see through the Watchtower."

1. Spiritually minded people who cared (and maybe still do) about the differences between what the Bible really says and the WTB&TS's interpretation. In this group I would include people who have gone on to other belief systems.

2. Socially & somewhat spiritually minded/interested folks (like me) who were more or less raised around the Truth ™ and believed it was the good people and the Love ™ they had that id'd them as "God's Chosen ones."

I think both of the above groups have to have something BIG happen in their JW lives to make them wake from their trance of JWism.

It had to get very personal.

For me, my "lack of faith" made me "spiritually dangerous" and began the slow destruction of my marriage. When my Mom died over the blood issue -- I was finally, fully Awake! But, I was the only JW out of a hundred in my family that did leave so far.

This is a great question, Wanderer. If we can figure out the answers, we can help a lot of other JW's 'out'.

Rabbit

• Paisley
    Paisley

It's getting dimmer for me, but I do know that there's a tremendous amount of fear. Fear to question, fear to investigate, fear to trust your intuition, fear of losing family if you dare.

I know that so many little things bothered me for a long time, so I developed a good healthy bad attitude. It got so overwhelming that I couldn't trust myself to be at the meetings, because I couldn't hide the contempt after awhile. Then I stopped going.

Going back though, it just made me sick to hear certain extremely flawed elders remind the congregation that the elders were the "glorious ones" as noted in the Bible...and that we had to honor them. It also disturbed me to read in the literature that the various members of the Governing Body were antitypes and were mentioned in the scriptures. The Revelation Climax book was pretty nauseating too. Pretty pictures though.

Why the failed prophecies don't turn more Witnesses' stomachs is beyond me. And the changes in the generation teaching and the blood doctrine; and the U.N. hypocrisy. Amazing.

• Paisley
    Paisley

I think you also have to hate to see people mistreated; then you start to question. If mistreatment of others doesn't really bother you, and having your every thought, word and deed monitored, then you might not mind staying, even with all the pharisaical rules.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Paisley: Yes, exactly! My mom truly believes that disfellowshipping and shunning is a loving practice. I've been trying to say it for years. She loves to have every thought and word of her's monitered. My dad did it to her while they were married, and now they're divorced and she converted to the borg and she simply replaced one tyrant with another. Very sad, but true.

By the way, I wish you a very big welcome to the board.

Anitar

• abbagail
    abbagail

I don't really know, but I sure enjoyed reading everyone's comments...

The Wanderer asked:
    Does the Watchtower Society have such a hold on Jehovahs Witnesses that regardless of what evidence is presented starkly contrasting the Watchtowers teaching, individuals cannot grasp they are being duped?

Answer: Yes. Whatever the techniccal term (brainwashing or denial, etc), the WT definitely has a "mind control" hold of some sort... at least they did on me as I would never consider any "bad talk" about the WT.. until the SHOCK treatment described next...

----------------

Peppermint wrote:
    I believe that in many cases those of us who manage to escape are the ones who have another of these challenging episodes that forces their hand and makes them re-evaluate. In other words shocked in and shocked out.

Excellent. PPMT. SHOCKED IN - SHOCKED OUT. Great description!

Even though I was already out PHYSICALLY for a long time, MENTALLY I was still "IN" until I was shocked OUT of that by learning about the pedophiles, and that was all she wrote...

-------------------------

AKJeff wrote:
    I think I knew 'sub-consciencly' [sp] that I needed to 'evaluate' ... away from the constant 'indoctrination' for my mind to clear enough that I/we began to see ... the submergence in the program so deeply, that makes it impossible to even look... I call it mind control - but perhaps it is closer to brain-washing in reality. Once we step away from it, gain perspective...

So true, and this occurred somewhat with me but by default... I was away from the WT-grind for only six weeks, doing an extended fast at a facility out of town. When I got back to the grind, we were in the Revelation Climax book, and for the first time in 8-9 years, my guts would ache every time we read the word ORGANIZATION in that book, which seemed to appear every other word. This should have been my wake-up call but I didn't know how to listen to my instincts yet, even though I think the fasting at least got me a little closer and had something to do with being able to recognize that something was amiss...

---------------

jgnat wrote:
    For instance, members of the society warmly congratulates a newcomer on their first talk. But the rewards are small, and far between. The person ends up giving more and more for diminishing reward.

AMEN sister on that! How true! Like the proverbial hamster running circles in the endless wheel, becoming more and more exhausted but can't figure out how to get off the wheel!

----------

Excellent summary, Lady Lee, and Very True in every detail.

I went from 11 years of "We love you/abuse you/fearful" WT-World, to 14 years of "I love you/abuse you/fearful" LTR relationship. Praise God I am free of BOTH for several years now and have no desire for anything resembling either ever again. "Growing up is hard to do" but it sure feels great on the other side!

-------------

Moshe:
    "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." -- Galileo
    Most JW's after believing that this is the "Truth" stop looking anymore.

Guilty as charged! That's exactly the way I looked at it.

------------

OICU8it2:
    For the same reason most cannot see the liberal media for what it is.

GOOD ONE, Oh-I-see-you-ate-it-too! (lol on the name)

-------------

Terry:
    There is an adage in the game of chess: A THREAT IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ITS EXECUTION.

That's a keeper, and for more reason than the WT. It's the same propaganda tool Bush & Co. have used since 9/11, ie, the mere repeated THREATS of terrorist attacks allows them to get away with murder and dismantling the Constitution in the name of "safety measures" without any REAL execution of those threats having taken place.

--------

The True One:
    The king keeps comtrol of his slaves and the power that he has obtained, by the vertue of information given. ... So the key aspect of the culling is the information and how and when it is put forth.

Another excellent analysis that fits not only the WT but also the controlled media and the American public in general.

---------

bennyk:
    ...mind-control precludes independent thought because the victim BECOMES the censor of his own thoughts.

That is IT in a nutshell! I censored every and anything that came up against the WT. Immediate mental shutdown, but then again, they trained us well to do so.

-------------

Anitar:
    My point is, the Watchtower is exactly like the cool kids with the cootie shots. They never seem to explain where they get their medicine, but they assure you that you would die without it.

That is a HOOT about the cootie shots. Great comparison! ;-D

----------

Rabbit:
    TRANCE of JWism.

Excellent word choice! TRANCE!

It had to get very personal.

Amen. Isn't that the truth! And it can't get any more personal than learning about pedophiles if you're an abuse survivor already.

Great comments by EVERYONE! Any lurkers who read this thread surely will have some rattling going on in their Trance-like state (and that is said with all due respect from one former-Trance-slave to another...)

/ag

• silversurfer1
    silversurfer1

Awesome thread with some great insights. I was raised a JW from 2 or 3 years of age, but only my immediate family. As I grew up I realised that the rest of my extended family on my fathers side thought we were crazy and I only saw them when we would visit them breifly. My moms side of the family live on the west coast so I never saw them, but my mom says they where non to please to hear of my parents coversion. My father was very strict with there beliefs. So I lived a pretty sheltered life. No after school activities, no college, ect.

I was married for 24 years with two sons when my life altering event took place. I guess it was a combination of things. I finally excepted the fact that the JW's supposed love was totally hypocritical and never worked in pratical ways for people who really needed this love. I was railroaded out of the BOE for standing up for a family that included a drunk DF'd father, a mother with an anger management problem and 4 abused children (2 of which were df'd) from ages 16 to 26. Believe me, being in this congregation contributed greatly to their problems. I was being witnessed to at work by a very conservative Christian who, I must say, really knew his bible. My own investigation of JW beliefs follow with a book call "Reasoning from the Scriptures with JW's". I would sneak this book into our apartment. I was caught by my wife with this material and she also found the internet sites I was visiting. The final straw was using this new found info with my sons in our family bible discussions. My wife left with our two sons. She thought I would come to my senses and follow. I never did.

My environment was suddenly change. Sure I was lonely and felt lost quit often. But I also had peace to think, meditate, seek professional help and to heal from a near nervouse breakdown. There was no going back to the JW's for me, regardless off the loss of family, friends and everything I have ever known. It's been hard, but unless I broke from this group how would any of my family?

You see the mind control and total giving of ones mind and life that a JW does once you are out. I can't believe I was duped so long. But the deeper your in the more blind you are. My wife and mom are totally blind and I fear my son's are becoming more so. I pray that they too have a life altering event. Sooner than later.

They think something is wrong with me and by extension all of us here. My mom is said that I go to church or celebrate some holiday's now. My explanations only hurt her and shut her mind down more. I asked her the following:

Explain the 1914 belief using only your bible.

Explain "Generations" of Matt.24

Explain what blood products you can and cannot take and the scriptural reasons why.

Explain how the FDS and GB thing works.

NO EXPLANATION. It did not shake her faith in the JW's, it just frustrated her with me.

Deeply entrenched things are hard to overcome.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Well the magazine did say " AWAKE " so I woke up !

I'm thinking of publishing a magazine titled " WAKE UP " ( Timely information about world events ) and send it out to any jw I know.

Of course I would have to ask for a small contribution to cover my costs, but then I could get the purchasers to buy a couple more and they might be able to sell them to a couple of

their friends and those friends could sell them to someone they know, and then I could start my own publishing empire and become a wealthy and powerful man, they used to laugh at me

for having a small penis, but I would become a king in my very own kingdom with my very own dedicated slaves........

.......Oh SORRY........... I lost it there for second...........

Keep smiling kids.........The true one

• lookingover
    lookingover

I left the Kingdom Hall in 2005. I am returning. They don't have any kind of hold on me. I was not duped, as you claim to be. You were not duped either, its just the way you are looking at it and also the way you are presenting it. Why don't you try being truthful to yourself. 1 Chron 29:17 says that God is the examiner of the heart. What does he see in yours?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit