Governing Body Going After eBay

by Gary1914 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

What a pathetic attempt to control information. It really shows their true colours. I love the image of them sweating at the very idea that the R&F might get ahold of "old light" and hold them up to scrutiny.

FBF

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

What an interesting collection of truly gullible people.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Oh they are afraid that books are being stolen from the hall. Now I get why in this area they are doing away with the libraries at the back of the halls.

• moshe
    moshe

ebay auctions for old WT literature often have teaser "quotes" in the auction that are embarrassing to the WT leadership. Of course many JW's see these quotes and want one of those books- they just have to prove to themselves that pyramidology wasn't taught, 1914 endtimes- not a teaching, no need for undertakers after 1926- never said it, Beth Sarim- never did it, etc. The GB is getting attacked from all directions now- yea!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

acadian:

Did you read that? In order for a bible to be copyrighted, it must be "substantially different" from the original texts! No wonder there are so many different doctrines going around today. No wonder there are so many contradictions in bibles! No wonder copyrighted bibles are so different from one another and say completely different things! They must be substantially different from one another in order to be copyrighted! Dear reader, the copyrighted bible you have in your possession is not the Holy Scripture, it is a translation which is substantially different from the scripture!

Translations are "substantially different" from the original text because they're in a different language. Almost any translated book you read will have a translator's copyright separate from the original author's copyright. New translations of ancient texts like The Iliad or Beowulf can be and are copyrighted even though the original text cannot be. The translations do not have to be inaccurate to be protected by copyright law.

Translations of course always require some interpretation. "Traduttore traditore" as they say in Italy.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Sorry that it took so long to see this one but they are being so petty. This reminds me of when they went after Quotes. It just backfired on them. As far as the libraries, some TMSO label their books. So before you sell on eBay, just remove any identifying marks.

put all the old light in a vault

And the vault would still be pitch black!

tsof

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Any further updates about this?

Bangalore

• fedup
    fedup

I don't believe it's about the old light being revealed to the R & F.

I think it's more about anyone making money on their literature. ONLY they can make that money, everyone else has to stay humble and poor by pioneering and washing windows.

If the R & F start realizing the cash they can make on what they have accumulated in their lifetime, their eyes may open up to how lucrative the Society is and that it really is all about the CASH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit