Governing Body Going After eBay

by Gary1914 57 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I either heard this experience or I made it up. I forget, but if I heard it the experience was probably made up.

There was this hateful apostate that went to Ebay to buy some of the society's literature. He intended to use this to prove something bad about the organization.

One night, a burglar came into the house as stole many things - including the literature. That burglar eventually came into the truth and is now a faithful elder/pioneer/CO or something.

The conclusion of the illustration was tha the holy spirit uses whoever it needs to get the truth to those who are honesthearted. In this case the hs used a hateful apostate and a money hungry copyright busting organization like EBay. But ultimately the truth was triumphant.

• acadian
    acadian

Here's an excerpt from an article "Bibles are only Milk"
    By Richard Anthony

Some interesting thought's on anything that's copyrighted particularly bible's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"To be copyrightable, a derivative work must be different enough from the original to be regarded as a 'new work' or must contain a substantial amount of new material. Making minor changes or additions of little substance to a pre-existing work will not qualify the work as a new version for copyright purposes." --The Derivative Copyright Law (partial).

Did you read that? In order for a bible to be copyrighted, it must be "substantially different" from the original texts!

No wonder there are so many different doctrines going around today. No wonder there are so many contradictions in bibles! No wonder copyrighted bibles are so different from one another and say completely different things! They must be substantially different from one another in order to be copyrighted! Dear reader, the copyrighted bible you have in your possession is not the Holy Scripture, it is a translation which is substantially different from the scripture!

Copyright:
    "The legal protection given to authors and artists to prevent reproduction of their work without their consent. The owner of a copyright has the exclusive right to print, reprint, publish, copy and sell the material covered by the copyright." The New Standard Encyclopedia, volume 3, page 565.

First of all, who is the "owner" of God's Word? Well obviously, the one who created it; God. Certainly, not mere man. So how can any man copyright God's Word? The answer is he can't and he doesn't, because man can only copyright "their own words," and not the words of another. Therefore, copyrighted bibles contain the words of man and not the words of God.

Secondly, did you know if you quote from, or copy from, or preach from, one of these copyrighted bibles, without the written permission of the "author" of that work, did you know you can be fined, imprisoned, and penalized for doing so? In other words, whoever owns the copyright to a bible is preventing you from repeating what is contained in that bible! Does mere man have the authority to prevent someone from sharing God's Word with others? No, he doesn't. But since copyrighted bibles contain the words of men, only some man's personal interpretation of the words of God, they can prevent others from using "their" bibles.

And think about this, if you have to get the bible "author's" permission, then obviously this work is "created" by some man who believes he himself is the "author" of this bible. He is basically saying, "Before you can preach God's Word, you must go through me and ask my permission!" This is basically what copyrighted bibles demand!

Look at any copyrighted bible for proof of this. Here is the copyright notice to the New International Version
    (the NIV Bible - © Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984):

The NIV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic or audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing the verses do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted.

How serious of an offense can copyright infringement be? According to the Copyright Law itself, from Title 17, Chapter 12, of the U.S.Code, Section 1204, the criminal offenses and penalties of someone who violates a copyright shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both, for the first offense; and shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both, for any subsequent offense.

The United States Public Domain and Copyright Rules state:

"Works first published before January 1, 1923 with proper copyright notice entered the public domain no later than 75 years from the date copyright was first secured. Hence, all works whose copyrights were secured before 1923 are now in the public domain".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What that last quote seems to be saying is any copyright 75 yrs old or older are in the public domain and can be used any way you want, so going back 75 yrs from 2007 we come to 1932.

All copyrighted works before 1932 are in the public domain.

Now those works from 1932 to date have restrictions as to their use.

What it looks like the WTS is doing with Vero/eBay and co/do's is that the org. is having the co/do's contacting eBay and saying the seller's of WTS material are infringing their copyright's
    Ebay doesn't investigate the claim, they just shut down your auction for that item.

Then you the seller on ebay, have to get permission from the copyright holder, and you know what their answer will be.

Anyway, there able to shut down anyone, no questions asked.

Acadian

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

My wife just told me that she learned from the sister-in-law that the Society is worried that witnesses who browse eBay for books and other items are often exposed to anti-witness dogma and they are beginning to ask questions of their elders in the congregation.

So it is not just the copyrights that are bothering them about eBay, it is also because eBay is causing some witnesses to question what they have been taught.

Yeah, eBay!

• lilybird
    lilybird
    it is also because eBay is causing some witnesses to question what they have been taught

And so? why are they so afraid if they really have Jehovan's direction and they teaching their followers the truth about the bible..Obviously,, they don't have much faith in their teachings themselves..The internet must really be affectiing the great publishing company of the watchtower.

• RR
    RR
    Gary1914: ... he said that it was just that the Society was concerned about the amount and kind of literature that was being sold on eBay. He also said that apostates have taken over eBay and some of the most vicious lies about the Society are put in auctions on eBay in the guise of selling a bood. Also, they have found books and pamphlets stolen from Kingdom Halls being sold on eBay. The last thing he said was that the Society has to have people looking carefully at all auctions for Watchtower material to make sure their copyright is not being violated and to look for stolen books.

Ah, that might have been me. I've been selling off my Watchtower library, mostly Rutherford booklets from the 1920s and 30s, they are all stamped "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses ...". The kingdom hall itself no longer exist, and often the Congregation.

I knew of a Hall in Elizabeth, NJ where we had Elders and Servants meetings. This hall had a VERY LARGE library, dating back to Russell, the Watch Towers went back to he 1880s, they had pictures on the walls. One day I was at the Stanley during an elders meetings, and I was talking to this "brother" who happened to beling to that hall. I said "isn't that the hall with all the old books?" He said, "use to be, someone broke in and took everything."

RR

• Kaput
    Kaput
    I said "isn't that the hall with all the old books?" He said, "use to be, someone broke in and took everything."

Broke in my foot. It was probably an elder or servant with a key who knew how much they were worth on ebay.

• RR
    RR

Could be! Ebay? I doubt it, this was befoire ebay and the internet!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    ....the Society is worried that witnesses who browse eBay for books and other items are
    often exposed to anti-witness dogma and they are beginning to ask questions of their elders
    in the congregation.

So it is not just the copyrights that are bothering them about eBay, it is also because eBay is
    causing some witnesses to question what they have been taught.

IMO, they are not the least concerned about copyright laws. Two things are concerning
    the WTS. If they don't try to prevent the rank and file from buying older books on ebay,
    the JW's will (1) read older books that reveal that the WTS is a false prophet, founded on
    pyramids and Jesus' presence in 1874, and (2) searching for Watchtower or JW will lead to
    Ray Franz's or another former JW's books.

The smoke screen is copyright laws. They will spin this like they did for copying their
    audio or video tapes. Maybe the CO will talk about this at the next 2-day assembly.
    "The Evil Apostates are Reprinting Our Literature- what have they changed? Don't trust
    any literature that didn't come to you from the literature servant's hand."

• merfi
    merfi

The ability to obtain identifying information about eBay users
    My thought on this is that not only are the WTS trying to keep the old light out of the R&F's hands, but they might also be attempting to find out WHO is selling their stuff, like a fader, etc, and persue them...

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I too believe that the Society is using this as a smoke screen also. I mean they just don't want people to know about their foundational lyings from the beginning, Such as their scandals and cover ups. Actually if what the Society is saying about copyrights laws then they should be afraid, they have copyrighted the bible and even had the audacity to change scriptual texts to suit their interpetations.

It is ridiculous to see how low the Society will go to win their little victories. And then say Jehovah has vindicated them. Rubbish I say.

IMO it all boilsl down to MONEY they don't really and truly give a rats ass about the individual cong. or peoples lives and the lives that have been hurt or lost on account of their stupid man made rules. The atrocites of child abuse and suicides and destroying families means nothing to them but only stupid matters such as the ebay thing.

It is impossible to know what goes on in the minds of the Governing Body members or now its legal representatives. I won't be a suprise to me if the GB really has little to do with the organization structures its the lawyers now. I think the GB members are like puppets on a string or just prepare talks about do's and don'ts.

It is so sad that so many people have devoted their lives to the Organization only to have thier hopes dashed to pieces as in 1975 and other stupid changes. Like me being in for a wasted 38 years.

Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit