Governing Body Going After eBay

by Gary1914 57 Replies latest jw friends

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

How can you own the copyright to something if...

1) It was given to you by holy inspiration

2) Your guys are not permitted to put their names on it

/Talk to God, sue, PROFIT!

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I suspected that GB may be bidding on WT items after watching an old WT angelphone being sold on ebay. The thread is here somewhere. One guy bid on all kinds of WT stuff and his name was "awake". It just seemed to me the rank and file would not be spending thousands on old light....I don't think it is an ownership issue, I think it is an old light issue and the fact that the WT has changed its history. They need to collect and put all the old light in a vault.

• Amazing
    Amazing

If I sell a used Watchtower book or magazine on Ebay ... I am not violating any copyright. I own the material because I bought the material and can freely sell it. If anyone writes a book, and libels the Society, or violates rules governing fair use in copyright, then the Society has every right to sue the violator. Whether they win the suit is another matter. It all depends.

Jim Whitney

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

There are collectors who will spend a ton of money on ebay. I saw the novel Seola (precursor for Angels and Women) go for over $3,000! And the little booklet "Golden Age ABC" went for almost $1,000.

There's one JW ebay vendor who sells commemorative CDs that contains some items I believe are still under copyright.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I sell books on eBay (or I used to) and every time I sold a WT item, someone would email me challenging my right to do so. It was always someone with a different hispanic name, nearly the same text and always saying that I am violating copyright, shouldn't sell it since they were free, etc. etc. Every time I gave them a very polite talking to about the fact that this is america and it is legal to sell used books that one has obtained honestly. OY.What idiots.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Control, control, control. Ahem...this is pubic (I know it say's pubic not public) service announcement, we must dispense with the old light, therefore, old light cannot be sold or traded, it can only be returned to us for old light storage or old light destruction. But...we'll gladly take your contributions in the form of Real Estate, Jewelry, Stocks or whatever else you've got.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, they might still have some claim on stuff after 1950 (though I'm not sure about that), but everything, and I mean everything, pre-50, they didn't renew their copyrights, and others have paid the appropriate legal fees for copyright searches to verify that. Thus, all the pdfs available, for example, at www.freeminds.org (inlcuding some recent additions of the older versions of the "Kingdom Ministry).

As a twist of irony, the Catholics are having their revenge on Rutherford, making sure that all his vitriolic diatribes are safely available for all to see: http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/jwhistory.html

Also, as a speculation: Would the WTS have issued their comprehensive post-50 CD (with progressive omissions of "old truth" like the Babylon book), unless they'd felt invulnerable to the consequences? (Read: The end is so close that no one will ever be able to take this and use it against us).

The word that comes to mind is comuppence.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

They are a bunch of arrogant, self-righteous, greedy, sanctimonious, obnoxious turds.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Wow... these GB people (and JWs in general) are SUPER paranoid. Just when I think I've heard it all, it never fails to surprise me. Something new and strange always comes up, just when I think I couldn't possibly hear anything else weird about the Watchtower.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Perhaps the thing that irks the WTS the most is that while they have been giving it away for free they are jealous that they don't get a cut when someone else buys it on e-bay for $$$$

It is interesting they claim the books are stolen. How would they ever prove that? Did they file a burgary with the police? Did they provide a list of things stolen? Is the seller even in the same area as the KH where the books were allegedly stolen?

On the other side, does the WTS/JWs provide some sort of receipt when leaving their litterature with a person to show it was obtained legally?

The whole idea is silly beyond belief. But then again, look who's running the show

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit