In Memorandum

by RichieRich 79 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

It was the 14th of April last year that I had to sit my mother down and tell her I was an apostate.

I was closer to her than anyone else.

My father and mother are still married, but he let her raise me as a Witness, and that meant it was me and mom.

Me and mom in field service for 100 hours in July because she had to make her time as a regular pioneer.

Me and mom fighting over what to bring for lunch to the District Convention.

Me and mom up late at night, when she would berate me, and then unload all her problems on to me.

Me and mom and our 4 hour family studies, where we discuss 2 paragraphs of a random book, and then she would browbeat me until early in the morning.

Somehow, through all that, I pretended to be a Witness for years, just to appease her.

Looking back, I don't know if I loved her, or if I was just afraid of her.

Either way, I tried to stay on her good side, and keep her happy.

I had to lie to keep her happy.

With her, there was no balance. It was what she wanted or nothing.

Perhaps that's why she's such a good witness- their ideals are as bias and binary and black and white as hers.

So I'm sitting here thinking and I think I've figured something out that I wasn't ready for.

What if my mother didn't love me, and I didn't love her?

I lied to keep her happy, so she would give me a limited amount of freedom, and stay off my back.

She only wanted a son who stayed in the Truth, because nothing else had ever worked out in her life.

When I became happy, and finally left the organization, she flipped out.

She lost the only thing worth anything to her- her Witness son.

She still had a son though, and in my opinion, a damn good one. But she didn't want that.

And when she lost that, she was pissed. She asked me to leave her home, and my last words were that I would see her at her mother's funeral.

I moved out the next day.

She's made no effort to contact me, nor have I tried to contact her.

And the only thing I miss is the bond we had when we were both Witnesses. But that bond was on such false pretenses its not even funny.

So I guess that means I don't get to have a mother.

And the only reasons I don't like that is purely selfish.

What will I tell MY wife?

What will I tell MY children?

What will I tell MYSELF?

I don't even know how to say it, but I guess just like I'm dead to my mother, she's dead to me.

What good is she to me when I only miss the superficial things we had, but non of the actual things that we were supposed to have?

How can we ever rebuild a relationship we NEVER had?

How?

We can't.

And at this point, I don't want to.

And I'm so pissed off that I allow myself to contort my memories to the "good times"- when neither of us were happy, and our relationship was built on something that didn't mean anything to me.

And I'm just done. I can't keep looking back and move forward. So I'm dropping dead weight.

So here's to my mother.

The woman, who, when I was learning to drive, punched me in the mouth for not stopping completely at a stop sign, and then was forgiven by me.

The woman who threw a reference Bible at my head when I was 5 years old and preparing for my first talk, which I didn't want to give.

The woman who spent MY entire $12,000 trust fund before I hit high school, and then refused to give me one cent towards even applying to colleges.

The woman who, on a whim, took all my pet lizards and sold them to the pet store and then pocketed the money. Because I didn't clean my room.

The woman who volunteered to help the older sisters at the District Convention, and had me running to get them ice at 5 in the morning.

The woman who told me that my father, who she's still married to, is a servant of Satan.

The woman who made me iron her clothes for the meeting.

The woman who made me do every chore in the house, including cooking dinnner, when I was in school and working 35 hours a week.

The woman who is more than likely smiling right now, as tears stream down my face.

I'm done. And I refuse to treat someone like a Saint who never gave me anything more than what common ethics says I deserved.

I'm not going to continue feeling pain for an injury I didn't cause.

I'm sorry. But you can't shun me anymore, because I'm shunning you.

I'm going to step on cracks, without consideration for your back.

I'm going to maintain a relationship with my father, and consider it an unfortunate circumstance that you are his wife.

I'm going to come to the memorial, and sit right behind you in the suit you made me buy.

And in that silence, I will speak my peace.

And from that chair, I'll take my stand.

At my wedding, I'll replace your presence with a single flower. Something of the roadside variety, more than likely.

And instead of telling people how much I miss you, I'll tell them the truth.

I'll turn the date of my death in your eyes into the date of my birth in my own.

Sadly, you've become a tumor that weighs me down. But on this day, I'm performing an emotional biopsy.

So I guess I'll still see at Granny's funeral.

If / When you come across this, please know that it is pure and raw and true. No amount of coercion could make someone feel so strongly.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Wow....just wow. I feel like that with my mom...like evrything we had when I was a witness was fake anyways, and I am much happier without her (as a person) in my life. I long for a mom...not MY mom. And no one can be "your mom" except your mom...so it is a big loss. We are orphans....but getting over it and removing the tumor is a good idea....just easier said than done.

I am going to step on the cracks too.....(That statement....Oh....too much!!)

I actually got a door matt that was left over from the holiday season at Big Lots for 1.99. It says JOY on it...which is mymomsname. I never buy x-mas things that say "JOY"on them....they make me cringe....But wiping my feet on JOY makes me feel good.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

One more thing....(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS RICHIE)))))))))))))))))))))))

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

WOW Richie!!!!

I hope you are now able to ease your pain. I'm going thru the extact thing with my mom at my age. I even had to leave, and go to another state. I was suicidal, maybe close to homocidal. (not really). I haven't been able to bring myself to post about the things she did.

But your post told me what I must do. For that I humbly thank you.

shelley

• Odrade
    Odrade

I'm sorry Richie. What a shame.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I'm sorry for you Rich, but at least you are facing the reality of the situation.

Warlock

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ohhh sweety (((((((((((((((((((((((rr)))))))))))))))))))))))

I don't like to say, "I totally understand" Because I'm not you, and therefore I can't. Yet, your words, reminded me so, so much of what I ended up doing.

Huge hugs dude.

• restrangled
    restrangled

(((((((Richie))))))

You have brought to the surface and faced realities that are not very pleasant. You are making great progress.

I can't as a mother, imagine putting my son's through some of the things you described and survived.

Take care dear......you are still healing.

r.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Richie............as we go through life, we let go of some things that no longer suit us.......or, we discover they NEVER suited us. It has been said that the family we were born into is not necessarily the family of our true heart, and I agree with that because of my own experiences.........one thing you CAN thank your mother for is bringing you into the world, because you have life and the chance to grow and experience life. Also, you've learned many valuable things from her, whether you realize it or not. To me, it sounds as if you've gone through the typical human stages of accepting the death of your relationship with your mom, and you are ready to let go and bury it once and forever. My ex husband went through something quite similar with his own birth mom.......she was never there for him as a child, she was out drinking at bars and partying with other men. Years later, he got in touch with her, to try to work on a relationship with her, only to find that she was a stagnant soul........stuck in the past, and still playing the old games. Just before he got married, he invited her to our wedding, and put strong boundaries in place with her. He told her that she was his mother who had given him life, but, his Step Mother was the mother who had raised him. For his own mental and emotional health, he curtailed his relationship with her, only calling her once in a great while. I received an email from him about 2 months ago, letting me know that she had died and was buried. He had flown up from Florida to attend her funeral. My eyes filled with tears as I read the bald sentence from him...........so much pain, so many opportunities lost........but, the choices she had made in his early years had made him make his choices. In my opinion, you are doing the healthy thing, you are ready to let it all go and move into a new life, unburdened by negative energies from the past. Kudos to you!!!

Hugs,

Terri

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Excellent job Richie! I have no doubt that you will lead a very successful life. Your story is ovewhelming. Good job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit