Thing I LOVE and HATE about living in ENGLAND.

by nicolaou 50 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hmmm, lessee, which category should the following two go in???

• It's England
    • It's full of English people

Ah yes, Englands neighbours! The Welsh are no problem at all, mostly keep to themselves but those god-forsaken interfering, Scots!! Ever heard of the West Lothian question Ross?

The West Lothian question was raised by Tam Dalyell, MP for the Scottish constituency of West Lothian during the debate over Scottish devolution in the 70's. It was in two parts:

"How can it be right that MP's elected to Westminster from Scottish constituencies have no ability to affect the issues of their constituents which have been devolved to the Scottish Parliament"

and

"If power over Scottish affairs is devolved to a Scottish Parliament, how can it be right that MPs representing Scottish constituencies in the Parliament of the United Kingdom will have the power to vote on issues affecting England (including those that don't affect Scotland), but English MPs will not have the power to vote on Scottish issues?"

No-one answered the question satisfactorily at that time or since and the anomoly raised by Tam Dalyell is now a reality. Scots! Bah! Go play in yer own playground!!

• Dansk
    Dansk

I love England for its:

History

Natural History

Tolerance

Overall friendliness

Its seasons - all of them

Breath-taking scenery, as in the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, etc.

Manchester United Football Club

Villages

Markets, especially Bury where you can purchase the best meat pies around!

I hate:

Yob culture, such as binge drinkers

Sexual promiscuity (but this isn't just an English problem)

The rape of the countryside

Politicians with no spine

Disrespect

Overall, I'd say it's a great place to live.

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:I quite agree, it's incongruous. That having been said, full devolution never took place and so some issues are debated in Westminster that affect the Scottish people including the base rate of taxation (which seems ludicrous to us, since we're grossly outnumbered). It's hardly as if the Scots represented there are an overwhelming majority!

Tell ya what, give us full devolution and we'll relieve you of representative MPs... and North Sea oil... which is what it's long been about! Always about the oil!

Maybe we can keep our fair cut of the taxation on cigarettes and alcohol, too, as everyone knows we drink harder than the soft Southern nellies. We'll keep on exporting salmon and kippers to y'all, though, because we're generous to a fault.

There's something to add to the hate list: The English economy is supported by Scottish oil

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ian:

Sexual promiscuity (but this isn't just an English problem)

The rape of the countryside

Politicians with no spine

Are these three linked, somehow?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Willie: Brothers and sisters are natural born enemies! Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damned Scots! They ruined Scotland...

Skinner: You Scots sure are a contentious people.

Willie: You just made an enemy for life!

• Dansk
    Dansk

I also think the National Health Service is a prize to keep!

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:
    Aye lad, aye

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

like: Stella beer! I'm drinking one now!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Stella's belgian you doik! http://www.camra.org.uk/

Here's hoping our favourite Scottish beardy doesn't do a return visit to this thread because I have to admit my love for a good Scotch. Now if anyone wants to buy me a pressie for my 6th JWD birthday coming up soon . . . .

• Dansk
    Dansk

Nic,

I'd rather have a Vimto!

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit