WTS Has Lost +35% of Elders in US Since 1994????

by Seeker4 74 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Some congregations have so few MS that the elders have to take their turn as mike handlers.

Wow, that is so beneath them. No wonder they don't have time to care for the flock.

Seriously, as one of the more recent "step-asides" (I learned not to say step-down, as
    there is not supposed to be a clergy class on a higher rung- yeah right) I can share this-

I wrote a letter and submitted it in August, stepping aside for serious doubts. The PO
    contacted the CO and Bethel. They told him not to do anything until they reviewed the
    letter and got back to him. From the time I submitted the letter, I turned over all
    responsibilities and quit the TMS, and I asked them to make an announcement because
    publishers were still asking me to do things that an elder would do, or asking for guidance
    in matters. I said I continually steered people to other elders, but it would be easier if they
    just announced that I was no longer an elder.

The PO said he had to wait for an answer. I explained that no matter what Bethel or the CO
    told him, I was "no longer an elder." If they wanted the BOE to look into matters further, they
    could do that after an announcement was made. NO WAY. The PO was afraid to even make
    that announcement- and he asked me not to inform any publishers about it. I did as he asked
    because these are the same guys I want to avoid getting into a Judicial Committee with about
    my doubts. Truly, I think they wanted to see if they could wait to make one single announcement
    that I was "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses"- and skip that "no longer an elder" one.

It took 7 weeks for them to have an announcement that I was no longer an elder. Maybe they
    thought I would do something else during the wait. OR maybe they are losing so many elders
    that the instructions are so tight to try to retain them unless they absolutely have to be removed.
    I did get the feeling that all I had to do was change my mind, and all would be forgotten.

• garybuss
    garybuss

According to the 2006 service report, the US of America had 12,390 congregations, Hawaii had 97, Alaska had 27.

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

There are 12,390 congregations in the USA, according to the 2007 yearbook.

Many of the congregations I know may have 5 or 6 elders, but there may only be 1 or 2 MS, and those MS are often up in years, 60+ years old, men who may very well never become elders.

A tell-tale sign of trouble in the org is not only when elders start dropping out, but also when there are few 'future elders', for lack of a better word. There are not as many 20-something MS as there used to be, as far as I can tell. What shocks me more is that the elders I know are oblivious to the fact that there are no future elders in the congregation. I think they are so caught up in their paperwork, talk preparation, and just getting by in life that they pay little attention to what's really happening in the congregation.

I know one thing for sure - anybody trying to live on six bucks an hour washing windows isn't going to have much time for being an elder...

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Woooo Hooooooooo

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Here's a wacky idea: ARE THE SHAKERS A PROTOTYPE OF THE WTB&TS?

MAYBE.

I CERTAINLY HOPE SO.

I lifted the following article from
    http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/Shakers.html
    there is more material there if anyone is interested.

I was struck by some of the similarities between the Shakers and the Dubs.
    (Let the reader use discernement.)

--- BEGIN ---

I. Group Profile

1. Name: Shakers (The United Society of Believers)

2. Founder: Ann Lee

3. Date of Birth: February 29, 1736

4. Birth Place: Manchester, England

5. Year Founded: 1772

6. History:
    The Shakers are one of the few success stories resulting from the proliferation of communitarian and millenarian groups in eighteenth and nineteeenth century Europe and America. They splintered from a Quaker community in Manchester, England (Gidley and Bowles 1990). James Wardley, its preacher, had absorbed the teachings of the millenial French Prophets and his community began to evolve around 1746 (Melton 1992). The members were known as the Shaking Quakers and were viewed as radical for their communion with the spirits of the dead and impassioned shaking that would occur at their services (Horgan, 1982; Robinson 1975). As radicals, all the members were harrassed, including a young married woman named Ann Lee. Fervent from a young age, Ann had a revelation during a long imprisonment that she was the Second Coming of Christ, the vital female component of God the Father-Mother (Bainbridge 1997; Gidley and Bowles 1990; Horgan 1982; Robinson 1975).

The vision had a great impact on the congregation and "Mother" Ann became the official leader of the group in 1772. With a distinctly new version of the Second Coming and other beliefs contradictory to mainstream Christian ideology, it was at this juncture that the Shaking Quakers became known as the Shakers (Gidley and Bowles 1990). These radical views increased the Shakers' persecution and a small group composed of her brother, niece, husband and five others followed Mother Ann's vision of a holy sanctuary in the New World to New York in May,1774 (Bainbridge 1997; Horgan 1982; Robinson 1975). They struggled for five years to survive, gaining few converts, on a communal farm in Watervliet, NY (Bainbridge 1997; Robinson 1975). During this period they faced great persecution for being both English and pacifistic in the middle of the Revolutionary War (Horgan 1982).

The turning point was a wave of religious revivalism called the New Light Stir that swept across New England between 1776 and 1783 (Gidley and Bowles 1990), bringing in new converts from other millenial groups and allowing the Shakers to safely proselytize. In 1779 Joseph Meacham and his followers joined the Shakers, becoming their first converts (Gidley and Bowles 1990). The Shaker mission in New England ended in 1784 -- the same year as Mother Ann's death (Gidley and Bowles 1990; Horgan 1982; Humez 1993) -- though they later missioned in Kentucky and Ohio during the Kentucky Revival of 1797-1805. Most of this expansion happened under Joseph Meacham's leadership, which began with Father John Whittaker's death in 1787. Meacham organized the communities and made New Lebanon, NY the Parent Ministry from which came both spiritual and commercial leadership (Horgan 1982; Melton 1992). These industries would become both the sustaining income for the Shakers and a form of recruiting and publicity as their simple, functional furniture designs, music and dancing, and self-published books became popular in secular culture (Andrews 1972; Morse 1987). By the mid-1800's they reached their peak membership and peak popularity, becoming a sort of tourist attraction that outsiders (known as The World's People) could observe in their communities on Saturday evenings (Morse 1987; Gifford 1989).

The Civil War ended the American fascination with the many millenarian, communitarian and utopian social experiments of the early nineteenth century and replaced it with an emphasis on class struggle in an increasingly industrial and urban society (Horgan 1982). Industrialization made Shaker crafts obsolete and depleted even further the attraction of a way of life already made less tasteful by the emphasis on celibacy and severe simplicity (Gidley and Bowles 1990; Horgan 1982; Robinson 1975). Between this decline in attraction and the society's inability to create a new generation of believers, the communities steadily declined and disbanded.

Little is known of the 20th Century Shakers besides their decline because they closed even their journals -- previously released in order to further spread first person witness of Shaker beliefs -- to the outside world in the first decades of this century (Stein 1992). In 1965 this deterioration was speeded by a group decision to admit no new members (Melton 1992). Today only the Canterbury, New Hampshire, and Sabbath Day Lake, Maine, communities remain and even then the members live on small plots of the properties while the rest is devoted to historic preservation and museums like those found at Pleasant Hill, KY , and South Union, KY (Gidley and Bowles 1990; Melton 1992). The Sabbath Day Lake group did recently admit three new members but they weren't recognized by the other remaining original members (Melton 1992).

Sacred or Revered Texts: Composed originally of mainly illiterate factory workers, the Shakers did not rely heavily on written doctrines and preferred first-person religious experiences. They did draw guidance from the Bible; the personal writings of Ann Lee (known as Mother's Wisdom ) and other spiritual leaders like Joseph Meacham; the series of Testimonies books; and other Shaker-produced journals and books testifying about the Shaker experience from a first-person point-of-view.

Cult or Sect: Negative sentiments are typically implied when the concepts "cult" and "sect" are employed in popular discourse. Since the Religious Movements Homepage seeks to promote religious tolerance and appreciation of the positive benefits of pluralism and religious diversity in human cultures, we encourage the use of alternative concepts that do not carry implicit negative stereotypes. For a more detailed discussion of both scholarly and popular usage of the concepts "cult" and "sect," please visit our Conceptualizing "Cult" and "Sect" page, where you will find additional links to related issues.

Size of Group: Today there are seven women living in small sections of the Canterbury, New Hampshire and Sabbath Day Lake, ME community. At their peak membership between 1830 and 1840, there were 6,000 Shakers in 19 communities (Melton 1992).

--- END ---

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Recently, two heavy elders in by former congregation died of heart attacks. Both were young men, in their 40's and 50's. Bethel elders have been moving away and one elder that was removed, then reinstated, has now become the P.O. He is on medication for depression and is running the congregation, also on the regional. The C.O. commented to me, "looks like we are scraping the bottom of the barrel".

Blueblades

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The C.O. commented to me, "looks like we are scraping the bottom of the barrel".

Brain Drain

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I have been inactive for a few years now but I do know that before I left, a number of congregations had merged in the Los Angeles area because of shrinking numbers of publishers and elders

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

A quick survey from this board. How many were elders during or prior to 1994 and no longer today?

My last elder year was 1994.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was an MS before I DAed in 1998.

I was on the "Fast Track" to being an elder, but I just couldn't make myself do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit