It must be "Global Warming"

by Warlock 93 Replies latest social current

• mavie
    mavie

Snow in Malibu yesterday.

This morning I had to scrape the ice off my windshield and back window.

On the way to work I saw many a frozen front lawn and most cars were covered with ice like mine.

All on the outskirts of Los Angeles.

It must be "Global Warming".

Warlock

The term 'global warming' is something of a misnomer. A more accurate description would be 'global climate change'. The warming trend we are currently *observing* will also cause ususually cold weather systems at times. Take a physical geography class to learn about ocean currents...why do you think northern europe has such mild weather? Ever heard of the Great Conveyor Belt in the Atlantic?

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-11.htm

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1932761,00.html

Leolaia pointed out how quickly humans can have an effect on the climate. Just the simple act of planes being grounded!

We need to stop f*cking around with our planet and take this seriously.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::We need to stop f*cking around with our planet and take this seriously.

Amen

• JimWood
    JimWood

I am surprised that nobody here has picked up on the FACT that the average global temp has an inverse relationship with the number of pirates in existence. Since the early 1800’s their numbers have decreased and the temp has gone up.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Global warming trend? quite possible. But it is the WHY that is the issue. The earth has been through many temp cycles, maybe we are in one now. I don't jump to the conclusion that it has been brought on by human activity. That would make me a victim of political manipulation by a very cynical movement.

Ever see that old movie where the white hunters are about to be burned at the stake by the savages. One of them has an almanac that shows there is to be a solar eclipse that day. They use this to convince the natives that they have God-like power. Similar to the lefty movement today trying to exploit possible warming for their political ends. It will probably just go away. These cycles in nature take decades+ to develop.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    Did you know that on September 11-13, 2001, there was a unprecedented temperature change across the U.S. not seen in the previous 30 years (at least) and not seen since? Did anything unusual happen on those three days that could account for the temperature fluctuation? HINT: This is just one of many indicators that human activity is a contributing factor to overall climatic trends.

Come on Leo, don't leave us hanging like this. Warmer or cooler?

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Observes the graph below. That 0.03% slice we know as carbon dioxide is what is being touted as the cause of everything from hurricanes to bad breath.

Remember, that 0.03% slice has risen from ~280 ppm to ~380ppm in our present day. These levels are pathetically small compared to atmospheric levels in Earth's past (as much as 5000 ppm).

There are real and serious threats to our environment from human impact. Population growth, deforestation, species extinction, water contamination and more. Where will the resources come from to combat these real issues facing our planet if they are spent chasing an ill founded assumption?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Poor thing, warlock had to scrape his windows!! I've been doing that for a month. Last week, I couldn't even get my front door opened!!

Do you need me to send you a "How to scrape windows and shovel snow for Dummies"????

DIDN'T YOU MISS ME??!!

LOVE YA-SHELL

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Did you know that on September 11-13, 2001, there was a unprecedented temperature change across the U.S. not seen in the previous 30 years (at least) and not seen since? Did anything unusual happen on those three days that could account for the temperature fluctuation? HINT: This is just one of many indicators that human activity is a contributing factor to overall climatic trends.

Leo - I think this every time I fly across the Atlantic- The USA is an advanced society but its Jet Fuel consumption being burnt in the stratosphere is huge - the skys were eerily clear after Sept 11th

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Why do ya think I'm marrying an American chick (aside from the obvious reasons )? If the termperatures plummet we're getting the heck out of Dodge!

Yes but Scottish Islands to Dallas - that is a huge change- you know already how hot and humid that gets

• thecarpenter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit