How many of us were janitors?

by Fleshybirdfodder 22 Replies latest jw friends

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

No luckily i didn't end up in a mundane job like as such (no disrepect to people who are employed as janitors). I nearly did because when i was 18 i wanted to go to Uni and one of the Elders in the KH tried to put me off by threatening me with the 'Big A' and i nearly listened to him but i was strong enough to make up my own mind in the end. Thankfully today i enjoy a rewarding & satisfying career because of my Uni education as a 'Design Engineer' in the Oil & Gas Industry. Yes because i made my own choice and did not let one of their highly regarded, trusted & honoured members of the Org in such a lofty position of office as an ELDER discourage me.

PHEW!!!!

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

ex-janitor here...

It paid my way through college.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Mom and Dad have a housecleaning biz, since 1984 I think. Dad sat me down one day and told me the he expected me to take over the business. Boy was he pissed when I told him no. My brother and sister didn't want anything to do with it either.

• puck
    puck

i worked for my uncle in woodburn for a while cleaning grocery stores at night (it was about an hour and a half drive), then would get home in time to go to my housecleaning business -- on the days that weren't set aside for my pioneering -- and on the weekends i worked for a witness who owned a fire/water/smoke damage restoration business. they all blur together now... my mom is *still* cleaning houses, as are most of the women in my old congregation, and a good many of the fellows were window washers.

but boy, i can clean like nobody's business!

• skyking
    skyking

Still am, part of my businness is Janitorial. I have made huge money doing this, even though it is only a small fraction of my business.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

subcontracted for a barely active ministerial servant

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

God, this is too funny!

Right out of high school I worked with a group of bros. cleaning supermarket floors and pioneering. Memorized hundreds of verses word for word by putting them on 3x5 cards and quizzing each other as we drove between stores!

First fulltime job, once I'd had one child and a second on the way and had to stop pioneering, was literally as a school janitor!

For 17 years as a MS, elder and pioneer, we had our own office cleaning business. God, what a waste of my life! When the kids were grown and gone, my wife and I, still JWs, decided we'd had enough of that and went to work in the mental health field. I also decided I was going to pursue my passion for writing. Within two years I was a full-time correspondent with the best paper in my state, within four years I was making a living full time as a freelance writer. Today, I'm editor of one of the state's biggest weeklies, editor of a brand new glossy magazine (4th edition coming out!) and a contributing editor with another big mag in the state. Not bad for a janitor who switched careers in my 40s!

My son in law, a JW, cleaned supermarket floors for years, and my daughter, still a JW, has done office cleaning as well. Ugh. Witnesses sure are into the cleaning business. That having been said, for the 17 years I had my own cleaning business, I seldom had to work more than 20 hours a week max in order to make a pretty good living. But the incredible level of boredom and lack of interest in that work I will never forget. Damn good thing I could do it all in 15-20 hours!

S4

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

lower than cleaning - being a nurse's aide, which I did for about 8 years. Then I did cleaning as a step up - I could charge what I wanted, work my own hours, and be my own boss. Hard work, but so what? Eventually I took a class at a trade school, got out of housecleaning and office cleaning, started working at a business that paid more. Eventually became a vocational teacher, and now own my own vocational school which was a good thing until the walmart effect took over - large chain career schools are putting proprietary schools like mine out of business. Also have written some textbooks, had them published, find I am a good writer and have more books in the works. It was a huge waste of time, not the cleaning jobs necessarily, but the whole lousy JW thing. Wonder where I would have wound up if I had gone to school? I was offered a really good scholarship but was trying to be a good JW and didn't accept it. I wouldn't be here, of course, but here is pretty nice now. I like my husband (who thinks JWs are sadly mistaken christians - he is more tolerant than I.) I like my work, I like writing, I like my friends, so in the end it worked out well. But, along the way a serious boring hard waste of time.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

My ex-husband did the janitorial thing for quite a while, working for his JW brother. Now he does industrial painting, working for his JW brother. My sons, who all excel at the top nationally academically--included in the top onepercentile!--will not be going on to any kind of schooling. They already have a 'trade' (working for their JW uncle).

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

I dropped out of school at 13 in 1973 to clean houses on a dub crew lead by a freaky guy named Tom Wolfe in Torrance CA. Armageddon was a comin' so school was a waste and we needed money cause mom nearly died from refusing blood during surgery.

funny the wierd things I can remember...hubby was counting the times tonight my short term memory lapse kicked in..."thanks for the tea but I was going to have hot chocolate like I said" etc etc...long term is just as bad...

In the 1980's I worked with a dub team in Riverside CA cleaning houses after they were built, I really moved up. I got to clean the outside windows in the winter, learned how to use a razor blade on glass...honestly though, I never did anything for long. This dub women tried to cheat me out of hundreds of dollars.

Life sucked but I wasn't sure why...I ended up a gypsy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit