John Denver v Jay Leno

by pobthespazz 44 Replies latest social entertainment

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This just in...

It was Billy Idol at Lilith Fair in 1975.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The John Denver concert story made it all the way over here as well. That Snopes article is brilliant! If I hear it again , I can de bunk it with authority

• abbagail
    abbagail

This is a RIOT!

I never heard the Jay Leno nor the Johnny Carson stories, nor the Blue Oyster, Don Ho, or the Ertha Kitt stories.

LOLOL.

BUT!!!!

I DID Hear the JOHN DENVER story because I lived in his hometown, Aspen, Colorado, from 1975-1980, and he used to give concerts on the side of the mountain. And because I had been "exposed" to the JWs in Aspen beginning first in 1977, but did not start studying w/them until 1979, I heard it from these Aspen JWs that John Denver had asked a bunch of JWs to leave his outdoor concert simply because he despised the JWs, and I assumed they, those Aspen JWs, were talking about themselves who had gotten kicked out of his concert (but at 30 years later, my memory could be a little faulty, but that's what I always thought through these many years).

John Denver lived up in Starwood in Aspen in those days which was a ritzy "private community" so the JWs could not just go up and knock on his door, so I don't know why or how he came to hate the JWs -- or if it's even really true.

Either way, that's where I heard the "John Denver asks JWs to leave his concert" story, straight from the Aspen JWs.

Anybody with some hutzpah and who likes to "play reporter" should call the Aspen Congregation of JWs and ask 'em and put this "urban legend" to rest (if it is an urban legend afterall ?). LOL. Here's a phone # I got off Switchboard.com...

Aspen Jehovah's Witnesses
    55 PYRAMID Rd
    Aspen, CO 81611
    Phone: (970) 920-4723

---------------------------------

BTW, get a load of the STREET NAME! Did C.T. Russell leave his PYRAMID TOMB and fly over to PYRAMID RD at Aspen Kingdom Hall? LOL, crack me up. And the street number (55 = Double Death in occult numerology) so that's a "double whammy" for the Aspen KH. ;-)

I always wondered HOW they could ever have afforded to buy property out there to build a KH... unless somebody donated it? They built that Hall in 4-days in May 1988 -- a pic and a few paragraphs was on the front of Section-B in the Aspen Times Newspaper.

----------------------------

I also checked the Aspen Times website today to see if the JW Kingdom Hall was listed in their Church Listings and if the address was the same, and IT IS. But what is funny about that is back in the late 70s when I was there, I worked at the newspaper and back then the JWs would NOT list their KH/cong in the Church Listings because they did not want to be included with all the "false religions of Christendom." So I wonder why they have "mellowed" on that stance? Anyhoo, I thought it was funny...

/abbagail

• abbagail
    abbagail

Grabbed these real quick off the net... just out of curiousity...

House at 285 Pyramid Road sold for $2 MILLION 039 Thousand and 375 Dollars on Oct 31, 2003.

Another piece of property [no house] at the "end of Pyramid Road" is currently for sale for $5.5 MIL! http://www.uniquewaterfrontsetting.com/details.html

Even in 1988 when the JWs built that Aspen K.Hall the prices were sky high out there since they were already ski high in the late 70s when I was there.

I'd hate to be the one paying the K.H. mortgage...

/ag

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I heard both the John Denver and Don Ho rumors in the late '70s. As I was a naive child at the time, I believed the urban legend and felt revulsion any time I saw Denver on television.

• anewme
    anewme

I heard the rumors but liked his music anyway...Rocky Mountain High ....Grandma's Feather Bed...Thank God I'm A Country Boy......yes, good tunes.

• avishai
    avishai

I'm crashing my airplane...

in a sleepy blue ocean...

• free2beme
    free2beme

It was Johnny Carson in the legend I heard. I think Denver was dead already, by the time Leno took over.

• TheBookbaggs
    TheBookbaggs

This Whole Subject May be summed up quite nicely by listening to the latest song recorded by The Bookbaggs.

The song is called "FRONT ROW SEAT"

cick on link

www.thebookaggs.com

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Actually the true story was some JW's came to my front door, and I asked them to get out of here!

Look how the true story progressed and got distorted!

Outaservice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit