Do you Give to Charities or Donate Time?

by OUTLAW 33 Replies latest jw friends

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Yes I give of both to charities and time but I am more inclined to ask churches or other groups and find a person or family and give annonimously and make sure they get the moneys or items directly and not go through an org. This is a great thread and we should all consider how to do what we can.

abr

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Isn't the watchtower society a charity, how many of us donated money.Unfortunatly

KT

• RAF
    RAF
    Backed away : The witnesses refusing to help in the community and using the door to door work as the excuse or poor equivilant

That's a real bug as christians!

I went to UNESCO congress lately, and a guy said something which was really well said : "Somebody who's starving can't hear and when you are starving if you don't have any help you can only count on God". I guess the JW governing body have this in mind (Do not help if their are not following us - somehow).

For my part I've from time to time donate to people who are asking in the streets it depends on my feeling (but still never knew is they were faking or not - but I was thinking whatever, how can I know anyway. What if they really need it?) but now I'm more into giving to food banks (because in France things are guetting very hard for those who do not have a minimum of wage and do not dare asking for help in the streets) and since a year were I'm living on a regular basis there are people who are collecting food right in the shops for the needy (it's even better - so you buy food and give it to them right there) I like this way, and it feel good to know you give food.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

tyrone

Thanks for the soap Lady Lee. I was at the Y in Ottawa for 7 years. I could have used toilet paper too, they were always running out. lol. What a small world. You never know just who your helping eh!

I think they have fixed the tp problem. I was there for 9 months while they looked for an apartment that was accessible for me. Mind you I had one of the two rooms with a private washroom so always made sure I had a supply. I had a very nice worker who always made sure I had what I needed. It is indeed a very small world

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Lady Lee I was one of the lucky ones too. On the 12th floor I had my own bathroom as well. I can't beleive I didn't run into you. I always used to take it from the main washrooms. You might know some of the same people I do. My floor was always a disaster mostly alcoholics and disturbed people. Did you get to know Dorothea Mawhinney and Sandra Chapates on the 8th floor. This is wild! I bet I know who was in your room before you. Never was too crazy about the staff except for charlie.

• juni
    juni

Yes I always have. Years ago I would send in money to the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy organization and also donations to help Public TV. Donations of clothes and household items and food items. I would do this for the brothers and sisters as well as the "world".

Volunteered my time for 5 years at a wildlife rehab center as an animal caregiver after I got out of the JW religion. Met many wonderful people and gained appreciation for our state's wildlife. Continued w/donating clothes, etcetera to the needy and supporting boys' and girls' organizations. Also am a supporter of the University of Wisconsin Veterinary College.

Think this is a great topic OUTLAW as it gives others ideas where they might help out. Makes you feel good inside to be a part of your community.

Juni

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Lady Lee I was one of the lucky ones too. On the 12th floor I had my own bathroom as well. I can't beleive I didn't run into you. I always used to take it from the main washrooms.

I was on the 7th floor - emergency housing. I was there from Oct 2004-Aug 2005.

You might know some of the same people I do. My floor was always a disaster mostly alcoholics and disturbed people.

Occasionally I heard about those upper floors. I was one of the few people on the 7th floor wha was attacked by an addict. She attacked me the night before she was supposed to get the room I wound up in. She was booted out for the attack so I got the room.

Did you get to know Dorothea Mawhinney and Sandra Chapates on the 8th floor

The name Dorothea is familiar and I have a mental image of who she is - big lady I think. Sandra doesn't ring a bell though. There were so many people through there. It's hard to remember all the names

This is wild! I bet I know who was in your room before you.

I'd be very surprised if you knew. The lady was out most of the time and kept to herself

Never was too crazy about the staff except for charlie.

Charlie was a real nice guy. All about the work and the only Front Desk staff who came out from behind the desk to give me a hug when I left. I got along well with most of the staff. Just a couple that I wasn't too keen about. The Housing staff were great to me. They all knew I worked in a shelter in Winnipeg and we all skipped over the boundaries between fellow workers and worker/client. Nothing confidential or inappropriate - just open with me and accepting that I understood the difficulties of the kind of work they did. BTW It seems I hold two records on the 7th floor - the only attack and the longest stay. Now wouldn't that be something if we were there at the same time

• ferret
    ferret

I belong to a charity club (Rotary International) and both the wife and I give monthly. Not only to this club but also to local charities... Cystic Firbosis... Diabetes Association..etc.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I was probably just leaving as you were entering. You are right about Dorothea she was a big lady with long black hair. She has university degree in music and theology. Sandra Chapates was my girlfreind for 4 years while I was there. I noticed you worked at a mission in Manitoba. I stayed at the Sally Anne there in 1990 right across from the lighthouse mission. There was also a trailer nearby with Christians that used to help people. I also stayed at the mission in Edmonton right across from the womens shelter. That place was scary.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I have worked for The Salvation Army for over 13 years. First running a Domestic Violence Shelter for 9 years, now I am responsible for Disaster Relief Assistace for New York State. I can truthfully tell you that any money that is designated for a particular program 100% goes to that program with no administrative costs. It is the reason why I have worked for them so long. Their mission is to help at whatever level a person needs assistance without discrimination. For those that help with kettles etc. on behalf of The Salvation Army I thank you for your help.

Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit