Do you Give to Charities or Donate Time?

by OUTLAW 33 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls
    kis..Thats cool.....Hubby gives to the multi Billion Dollar publishing company the WBT$?..Thats got to be a pain in the ass!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

I can think of a better phrase then "Pain in the Ass " but i better not go there

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Ya youre right man. I know it. I'm just not in any position now and don't trust. When I was on the streets one time I had finally found a good place and only had it less than 1 month. This guy who was a traveller I got to know and trust because he was an xjw needed a place to stay while he was in town. I let him stay in my little room and the little @#$%$%^ shit waited till I was asleep and stole all my rent money. I woke up at 5am and he was gone. Beleive it or not I tracked him downtown and found him eating in a restaurant. I followed him to the washroom to throttle him and the owner kicked us out. As soon as he was out the door he bolted with my money to a closeby car and I never saw him again. I got a thousand stories like that and am hungry for vengeance. His name was Danny Drost from New Brunswick and he served as a ministerial servant. He also goes by the name Michael crib. Come to think of it, when I hitch hiked to B.C. I got very sick and was lying in the streets some stranger took me and paid for me to stay at the Hotel California on Granville st. in vancouver. He saved my ass. There were acts of kindness in my travel. I used to frequent club 44 the mission in vancouver as well.

• Backed away
    Backed away

Great topic Outlaw,

The witnesses refusing to help in the community and using the door to door work as the excuse or poor equivilant as help really didn't sit with me at a young age especially when I would see and read about the Catholic Church feeding,clothing and reaching out to those needing the basic necessities. the only thing the literature would be good for is stoking a fire or keeping it going if they were cold.

We anonymously help needy families with food and clothes year round and my work has a program to give Christmas gifts to children less fortunate. I have helped at local Missions with food prep and serving it to the homeless.

This isn't a Charity but I truly love being at a restaurant, pick out a young family and quietly ask their server to give me their check and pay for their dinner and leave before they find out. a stranger did this for me once many years ago and it had such a impact on my life that I decided to continue doing this myself.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I regretfully confess that I dread donating my time to charity, although I have done it a few times for the Domestic Violence shelter stores. I prefer to donate money and junk I'm getting rid of that can be re-sold by the charities. I also try to support that store by shopping there fairly regularly.

I'm not sure what makes me so lazy about donating my time; I used to think I'd do things like that with my whole life, but now I can't imagine it.

I guess I'm just getting old and tired and have a lot of mental blocks about giving time away - the way my parents gave away my childhood to the Watchtower Society. I guess I need to work on that; I'd really like to donate my skills and time, but just rarely get around to it. There are a lot of great organization's I've donated to over the years, perhaps partly in reaction against my upbringing that taught us to be paranoid about giving to worldly causes - causes that really are making a difference in a lot of peoples' lives TODAY - not in some imaginary future paradise.

I agree that certain organizations, especially really big, bureaucratic ones, have their share of scandal and waste, but I try to avoid wholesale condemnation and realize there is some good, and that the checks and balances (like bad publicity and other exposure) help to minimize it. The Red Cross still does good and I wouldn't hesitate to donate blood if my veins would allow it. That's also a kind of donation I've made a few times. I'm also an organ donor in the event of accidental death.

• Trajan
    Trajan

I don't give much donations because financially I'm not very successful.

• nowisee
    nowisee

i never donated anything to anyone as a jw. but just this past year i have begun to tithe. not to a church but to various charities...a local food bank...americares....salvation army....the fallen heroes fund...some other local causes, sometimes to local people who have suffered losses or tragedies.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Donate and volunteer with food banks. Donate to needy families through work or church groups. I freecycle a lot, and have a family I met through them that I go out of my way for (military housing(worst) 3 kids, dad in iraq, mom at home with 3 little tiny ones-they are my favorite ones to give to) My JW mom only donates to dog causes, cause people don't deserve her help.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was working I always had 1 or 2 clients who really needed the counseling but could not afford to pay. I saw them for free as long as they were making progress.

A couple of things I have done since I no longer work is to give toys to children who are living in shelters for battered women (most often they have had to leave everything behind). This year I collected personal items (soaps, shampoos, skin cream, etc) and taken it to the shelter at the Y here in Ottawa for some of the people who are staying there now.

In the past I have also given my time in lecturing about abuse issues and cults.

• evetteto
    evetteto

Im a Christian, and hv always given of my time and money and I am POOR! However I am never without. I hv a homeless feeding ministry that I started 5 yrs ago whereas I cook and serve dinner once a week to aprox 60-75 persons (in the downtown area of Los Angeles)..delicious home-cooked meals and they are always oh so grateful!!!! My husb who studies with the jw's will sometime accompany me, He appears to enjoy it very much. I remember once I asked him to go with me cuz I didnt hv anyone to help me...he said NO!!! my feelings were hurt, I cried...so I went into my prayer closet and said Lord change his mind...walked back into the kitchen...and as God is Faithful...he had changed his mind!!!

For those that feel they caant afford it..My income is $680.00 month. I tithe, and provide all the food for these meals. I am always giving. Try giving out of your need and watch the return. Give and it shall be given unto you!!!

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Thanks for the soap Lady Lee. I was at the Y in Ottawa for 7 years. I could have used toilet paper too, they were always running out. lol. What a small world. You never know just who your helping eh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit