Watchtower getting very Defensive over blood issue publicity....

by kid-A 142 Replies latest social current

• sir82
    sir82

I wonder if Jim_TX has hit the nail on the head?

Why would the couple emphatically state they are JWs, then request anonymity? Why do the local elders seem to have no knowledge of them? If an active JW mother was expecting 6(!) children, it would be news all over the circuit!

Perhaps they are faders, or "closet apostates", or something along those lines. What better way to draw attention to the absurdity of the blood doctrine than to say:

1) "We're JWs, but don't give out our name"

2) "JWs don't allow their children to accept blood transfusions"

3) To the medical staff "Don't tell anyone this, but if there were a court order (wink wink) forcing our children to accept blood, we would acquiesce (wink wink)"

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Gill,

I have finished reading your intelligent and comprehensive reply; it has helped me bridge the gap between the real and the ideal. So much of what one clings to as dear, often makes no sense; however, would we dare rouse one from that little dream [nightmare]? I am caught in a tough spot due to all the above [the worries and concerns presented in the thread], and appreciate that your reasoning on the matter is straightforward and sensible. It was good of you to respond so quickly!

Many thanx,

CoCo

• sir82
    sir82

The Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood, founded in 1997 by dissenting elders, promotes reform of the "irrational aspects" of the blood policy. The group protects its members' identities, and asks those looking to join its e-mail list to avoid using their real names.

Its Web site lists Jehovah's Witnesses who have died for refusing blood transfusions.

This is huge!

JWs all over Canada are reading about this story...how many of them never had any clue that AJWRB even existed? How many of them just blindly accepted the WT line about the dangers of transfusions, and assumed that far more persons died accpeting blood than refusing it?

There's a mad scramble going on at Georgetown Bethel right about now!

• Gill
    Gill

Sir82 - That is a very good point that you make over the AJWRB! In Cananda I am sure a lot of JWs will be totally shocked to hear that there ever was an organization that opposed the blood transfusion ban. It may well open the eyes of a few, and even quite a few JWs. We don't appear to be reading or hearing anything at all about the sextuplets in the UK. It may well not be an issue because the babies will receive blood anyway if needed and we're not scouring our borders for runaway parents, as occured in the 1980's when an Italian couple did a runner with their child who had leukaemia.

But I think, JWs finding out about AJWRB would be quite an eye opener!!

CoCo - There just never seems to be an easy answer with this Blood Transfusion issue. It is so frustrating.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    The Associated Jehovah's Witnesses for Reform on Blood, founded in 1997 by dissenting elders

I wish they had provided the URL to that site!! It would be so easy for a JW reading that article online to just click.....

GGG

• james_woods
    james_woods

Jim_TX has a very valid hypothesis - the family might be faders or about to become such.

But, if they really are fading, the only way I can see them announcing that they are JW is if they want to use their situation to call attention to the JW blood policy. Apparantly, the hospital would not have done it against their wishes.

The thing that is completely disjoint to me is the fiction that the JW elders & Canadian organizion "do not know who these people are".

This is ludicrous! This organization spies on one another to see if they are smoking, going to X rated movies, or seeing members of the opposite sex in private. They would know if somebody was pregnant and didn't show up at the hall. The elders would then spy on the hospital to find out who they were, especially in the light of this publicity.

I say the WT spin doctors are at work here to do some early damage control just in case.

As for somebody suggesting anybody on this board wants them to lose any of these babies, you must be on drugs.

On the other hand, the elders care not if they lose all of these babies, just so they obey their murder-suicide pact rules on blood.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Hmmmm, floods of emails going out ya think? Nothing new in the article, but read the bottom!

Gov't ready to protect babies' health Victoria will step in if woes arise over blood transfusions

Lena Sin
    The Province
    Friday, January 12, 2007

The B.C. government says it's ready to step in to protect the health rights of premature sextuplets born in Vancouver.

While the parents of the six babies have remained anonymous in the midst of increasing public scrutiny, they have acknowledged they are Jehovah's Witnesses.

The sect, well-known for its belief that God forbids blood transfusions, could lead to a courtroom clash over medical and religious rights.

The babies, born at 25 weeks' gestation, are about the size of a hand and weigh only 700 to 800 grams.

It is common for premature babies to require blood transfusions due to the number of tests they undergo leading to blood loss.

An official with the Ministry of Children and Family Development, speaking generally, said the government is prepared to take temporary custody of any kids whose lives are at risk.

He would not comment on whether Victoria has contacted the parents.

All health-care workers have a legal duty to report to the ministry cases where parents have refused a doctor's recommended treatment that puts a child's life at risk. "We would then assess and ensure appropriate steps have been taken to ensure the child's safety. In other words, we'd confer with medical experts involved and in cases where they deem treatment is necessary to preserve a child's life, then it'd be necessary for us to seek a court order -- and that's what we'd do," said the official.

Such a court order was sought in 2005 for a Jehovah's Witness teen who was ordered by the B.C. Supreme Court to undergo blood transfusion as part of her cancer treatment. She later received bloodless treatment in New York after negotiating with the B.C. government.

The national spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada would not comment on what the church would do if the government intervened. Mark Ruge, church spokesman, says the choice of treatment remains a private matter between the parents and the medical team. "It is important for the media and others to avoid making stereotypical assumptions regarding Jehovah's Witnesses," said Ruge.

He emphasized doctors have treated premature babies without blood transfusions by "careful attention to minimal blood sampling, clinical acceptance of lower hemoglobin levels, use of erythropoietin and iron to stimulate natural production of red blood cells and other recognized medical procedures."

But clarifications over the years have only made things more confusing for many followers. In 2000, the official Watchtower church magazine stated that due to ambiguity in the Bible, followers may now take certain components of blood for medical treatment. While the ban on blood transfusion remains, the new directive opened the door for use of compounds such as hemoglobin obtained from fractioning red blood cells.

But a schism within the tightly disciplined sect has led some followers to go as far as campaigning for a halt to the blood ban.

[email protected]

- - -

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Tell us by e-mail at [email protected] or by fax to 604-605-2223. Please include your name and address.

© The Vancouver Province 2007

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/127249/1.ashx ongoing companion thread for activist suggested media contacts

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Buttlight,

I'd gladly kiss your butt for those posts! Imagine...JW's reading that there is a DIVISION within them ! Founded by their own (unknown) Elders ! I feel a Witch-hunt coming on, but, also a BIG ray of hope for JW's who've always thought they were alone in their nagging doubts. They'll know there are some friendlies among their ranks.

I wonder if Jim_TX has hit the nail on the head?

Why would the couple emphatically state they are JWs, then request anonymity? Why do the local elders seem to have no knowledge of them? If an active JW mother was expecting 6(!) children, it would be news all over the circuit!

Perhaps they are faders, or "closet apostates", or something along those lines. What better way to draw attention to the absurdity of the blood doctrine than to say:

3) To the medical staff "Don't tell anyone this, but if there were a court order (wink wink) forcing our children to accept blood, we would acquiesce (wink wink)"

In the wild herd animals instinctively know -- there's safety in numbers. I think it's very possible these JW parents have thought over what might happen if things went wrong with the pregnancy. With all this great publicity and millions of people, lawyers, judges and Child Protective Service types watching the predatory WTB&TS...it'll be real difficult for the predator to attack the prey...quietly and privately as they prefer.

To wit: Mark Ruge, church spokesman, says the choice of treatment remains a private matter between the parents and the medical team. "It is important for the media and others to avoid making stereotypical assumptions regarding Jehovah's Witnesses," said Ruge. (Why won't everybody just 'shut the f**k up? It's private ya' know!)

Yeah, private is good. 3 Elders in the Library... private. Don't ya just love it when the light gets shined on these cockroaches? They scatter all over the place. Rabbit

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Buttlight,

I'd gladly kiss your butt for those posts!

(Bending over)

I sent my email to them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit