Watchtower getting very Defensive over blood issue publicity....

by kid-A 142 Replies latest social current

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Steve,

I have a strong suspicion that no one OUTSIDE the Watchtower Society takes their comments seriously. The whole medical community is laughing at the erythropoietin comments, as doctors know it does not work quickly & is not well suited for premies. The whole medical community knows that the chances are 50/50 for these babies, WITH a blood transfusion.

However, you are right that the Society will turn this around and try to cover its wolfish ways to the flock. The flock will buy the "transfusions are bad", lock, stock, and barrell.

Skeeter

• steve2
    steve2
    I have a strong suspicion that no one OUTSIDE the Watchtower Society takes their comments seriously.

Hey skeeter, I agree - I'm a health profesional with a strong medical background and the Watchtower's official comments about "safe" alternatives are laughable, especially in the context of premature births...but, as you also say, not to the JWs who mindlessly buy the whole "blood's bad" line.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

High rank!

More bad PR on blood Danny is first to nail em at forum with rebuttal below.Register and join in too.

Family's religion has nothing to do with birth story
    Salem Statesman Journal, OR - 1 hour ago
    To quote from the article, which referred to a comment from the hospital's president, "She said the parents, who are Jehovah's Witnesses, are 'feeling ...

Family's religion has nothing to do with birth story
    Statesman Journal, OR - 1 hour ago
    To quote from the article, which referred to a comment from the hospital's president, "She said the parents, who are Jehovah's Witnesses, are 'feeling ...
    Witness's refusal of transfusion costs his life, splits his family
    Montreal Gazette, Canada - 1 hour ago
    A young Jehovah's Witness's decision to refuse a blood transfusion - which eventually led to his death - has split his family along religious lines. ...
    Montreal Gazette (subscription), Canada - 2 hours ago
    A young Jehovah's Witness's decision to refuse a blood transfusion - which eventually led to his death - has split his family along religious lines. ...
  • Gayle
    Gayle

One of the males died yesterday as reported by CTV.CA

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

bttt

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

The first thing that came to my mind was that they were faders. I had a baby in my "fading" state and no one knew about it except those whom I wanted to know. It was easy. We moved to another area. I was at risk of delivering early (which I did) and knew I would accept blood for my baby if needed.

If these people are faders, wanting to bring attention to this doctrine, it wouldn't surprise me IF someone like LE knew about it in advance and this was planned ahead of time, knowing that being pregos with sixtuplets would assuredly bring on the current situation.

This is what they could have done:

1. Received In vitro and got pregnant

2. Moved away to another area where no one knew them when they found out they were going to have six babies and they would likely be born prematurely and need blood

3. Discussed with the hospital that they were JWs but would accept blood for their babies if a court order was obtained. But made sure that their names were not disclosed and that their privacy was maintained. Heck, they might have even already given the hospital the JW information regarding no blood on AJWRB

Of all the speculation that is going on, this was the first thing I thought about and it is still the one that makes most sense. Especially with the media guy throwing out the bait of "we would like to help financially." That tells us right off the bat they are DESPERATE to find out who it is.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I forgot to ask: In Canada are records public? If they are, wouldn't the elders just have to go to the courthouse to find out the identities of the parents?

• steve2
    steve2

But if this couple were faders, the last thing they'd let the hospital do would be publicise their religion. From the hospital media release it very clearly states the couple requested that their religion be publicised. Nevertheless, something doesn;t quite add up here...

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Sextuplets are born into a religious debate
    Los Angeles Times, CA - 51 minutes ago
    5 and 6 in Vancouver, British Columbia, to parents who are Jehovah's Witnesses. Delivered at 25 weeks, more than halfway through the typical 40-week ... [email protected] reporter

The premature babies may need blood transfusions to survive. But their parents' faith prohibits such treatments. By Maggie Farley, Times Staff Writer
    January 17, 2007
    OTTAWA — Canada's first sextuplets, born more than a week ago, are facing an additional complication to the usual premature baby's struggle for survival: Their parents' religion forbids blood transfusions, a typical part of a preemie's treatment.
    The babies' condition remains a mystery, and the hospital refuses to confirm reports that one infant has died.

The six babies were born Jan. 5 and 6 in Vancouver, British Columbia, to parents who are Jehovah's Witnesses. Delivered at 25 weeks, more than halfway through the typical 40-week pregnancy, the four boys and two girls averaged 1.6 pounds and can rest in the palm of an average man's hand. The survival rate for such births is about 80%.

The parents have asked to remain anonymous, and the hospital has not provided information since shortly after the births, when a spokesman reported that the babies were in fair condition.

On Tuesday, hospital officials would not comment on a media report citing sources in the hospital that one of the boys had died.

"The family asks that their privacy be respected," said a spokeswoman for B.C. Women's Hospital in Vancouver. "They haven't provided instructions for releasing a statement."

The news of Canada's first sextuplets and the role of the parents' religion in their children's chances for survival have riveted a nation that prides itself on tolerance.

The infants face months in intensive care as their nascent organs, muscles and immunities develop enough for them to live on their own. Blood transfusions are a typical part of a preemie's treatment, experts say, because of their low blood volume and vulnerability to anemia. They also must have their blood drawn repeatedly for tests.

Although Jehovah's Witnesses can receive almost any medical intervention, including fertility treatments, organ transplants and vaccinations, the religion's interpretation of the Bible prohibits blood transfusions. A passage in the Bible cited as the basis for the prohibition is from Leviticus: "And you must not eat any blood in any places where you dwell, whether that of fowl or that of beast. Any soul who eats any blood, that soul must be cut off from his people."

The prohibition probably was meant to prevent the contamination of water supplies, wrote religious scholar Michael Duggan of St. Mary's University College in Calgary, Alberta. But the religion, which uses 1st century Christianity as its model, has interpreted it literally to forbid the "consumption" or spilling of blood.
    Mark Ruge, spokesman for the Jehovah's Witnesses in Canada, said, "It mentions in the Bible to abstain from blood, and so we follow that. We want the best for the children, but without blood." Asked about the consequences of accepting a transfusion, Ruge said that those who did not follow the Bible's teachings would no longer be Jehovah's Witnesses "by their own accord."

Canada's child protection laws ensure that babies get the medical treatment necessary to keep them alive, even if it takes a court order.

A 1995 decision by Canada's Supreme Court in a similar case of a premature baby born to a Jehovah's Witnesses couple concluded that the infant's medical interests trumped the parents' religious rights.

Neither Vancouver's Child Welfare Department nor the hospital have applied for a court order, a provincial court official said.

Even if they don't have a choice, the parents face a conundrum. If they accept blood transfusions to save the babies' lives, it could cut them off from their religious community at a time when they needed its support.
    When Lawrence Hughes, 56, was a Jehovah's Witness, he faced a similar problem. In 2002, his 16-year-old daughter, Bethany, needed blood transfusions as part of her treatment for leukemia. His wife, daughter and the Jehovah's Witnesses community in Calgary opposed the transfusions. After much struggle, he signed the consent forms, and was cut off from his family and congregation.
    Jehovah's Witnesses typically live and pray together and discourage association with people outside the congregation.

"I was completely isolated," Hughes said.
    After Bethany had 38 transfusions, her mother took her into hiding, and the girl eventually died. Hughes is suing the Jehovah's Witnesses, claiming the lawyers who fought the forced treatments did not act in his daughter's best interests.

"I knew that once I signed the consent form, that was it. I knew I'd lose my family, my friends and my faith," he said. "I did it to try to save my daughter, but I lost her too."

Hughes, who works at an architectural firm in Calgary, has joined with other former Jehovah's Witnesses and dissenters in the church to seek a change in policy regarding blood transfusions. In recent years, the religion has allowed patients to receive what it calls "fractions," or components of blood, but not whole blood.

The prohibition presents a problem for doctors as well, said Juliet Guichon, a medical bioethicist at the University of Calgary.

"The consequences of refusing blood in certain situations are fatal," Guichon said in a telephone interview. "There must be something to make people choose that. If it's coercion or fear, the physician must be aware of that."

[email protected] * TOP RANKED NEWS WORLDWIDE FOR JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES *

CTV.ca
    Los Angeles Times, CA - 57 minutes ago
    5 and 6 in Vancouver, British Columbia, to parents who are Jehovah's Witnesses. Delivered at 25 weeks, more than halfway through the typical 40-week ...
    One of Canadian sextuplets dies: reportScientific American
    One of the sextuplets born in Vancouver has died, sources sayVancouver Sun (subscription)
    One Of Canada's Sextuplets May Have DiedAll Headline News
    CityNews
    all 59 news articles »
  • DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    What's up on the news wires right now
    Montreal Gazette, Canada - Jan 14, 2007
    "The Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions for religious reasons," Jonathan Lavoie writes on the petition's website. ...
    Despair for husband of Jehovah's Witness after she dies during ...
    Daily Mail, UK - Dec 28, 2006
    As Jehovah's Witnesses they see blood as sacred and according to their beliefs it was God's will that it should not be shared. ...
    The women who put failth before her own life
    Daily Mail, UK - Dec 28, 2006
    As Jehovah's Witnesses they see blood as sacred and according to their beliefs it was God's will that it should not be shared. ...
    When faith and medicine collide
    Scientific American - Dec 27, 2006
    While the Jehovah's Witnesses are often mentioned, Linnard-Palmer says she has found increasing complications involving fundamental Christians. ...
    The clash of faith and medicine spurs debate
    The Brunei Times, Brunei Darussalam - Dec 27, 2006
    While the Jehovah's Witnesses are often mentioned, Linnard-Palmer says she has found increasing complications involving fundamental Christians. ...
    Boston Globe, MA - Dec 25, 2006
    Stuff.co.nz, New Zealand - Dec 25, 2006
    Manawatu Standard, New Zealand - Dec 25, 2006
    The Nelson Mail, New Zealand - Dec 25, 2006
    Marlborough Express, New Zealand - Dec 25, 2006
    The Dominion Post, New Zealand - Dec 25, 2006
    Northland Independent Community, New Zealand - Dec 25, 2006

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit