SCAN OF WT ARTICLE ON WIVES.....

by Mary 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

THANK YOU MARY!!! {----- yes, shouting. LOL

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Wouldn't that be an increase of just 2 women per every 100 people who ABANDONED their family

Actually, I meant to say an increase of 2 women per every 300 people who abandoned their family...as opposed to the 1 woman out of 300 people...help.

Justitia

• morwen
    morwen

Thanks Mary for posting this. I'm not shocked but it is disgusting to read all this BS! I know of a JW wife whom has been married 9 yrs. to an abusive husband.They thing I do know he's done is... He has choked her,leaving bruises on her neck,hit her on many occasions, and thrown her 3ft. off their front deck(she limped for a month after that). They went to the elders(again,this time about him throwing her) and she came back saying everything they say here in this article. She told me that she just needs to be more careful in how she talks to her husband,and that she needs to show proper respect to him as he is her "head",she just needed to try harder to be good and pray about it.The elders told her NOT to go to the police and report anything when it happens. And keep in mind that her husband's first wife mysteriously committed suicide. One of my sister's is also in an abusive relationship and my parents keep telling her to stay with the looser because that's what jehovah wants, and that she deserves the punishment of being hit if she mouths off to much.That's just sick! Morwen

• Mary
    Mary
    She told me that she just needs to be more careful in how she talks to her husband,and that she needs to show proper respect to him as he is her "head",she just needed to try harder to be good and pray about it.The elders told her NOT to go to the police and report anything when it happens. And keep in mind that her husband's first wife mysteriously committed suicide. One of my sister's is also in an abusive relationship and my parents keep telling her to stay with the looser because that's what jehovah wants, and that she deserves the punishment of being hit if she mouths off to much.
    Gee, why does this all sound so familiar? Oh yes, I forgot. They also encourage victims of child abuse "not to go to the police and report anything when it happens", because we must appear "spotless" in front of the world. And if someone commits suicide or mysteriously dies by taking this sick advice, well, that's the price to pay for the priviledge of being part of the only religion Jesus approves of.
  • Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

300:3 IS the same as 100:1. They changed to first number to make it look like a big increase. It is less compelling to say...in the early '60s, before Women's Liberation, the ratio of men who abandoned his family to women who abandoned her family was 300:1. At the end of the '60s, this number had increased to 300:3! ...not very exciting that way.

The number do not really support much of an increase, so they are afraid to compare apples to apples. Most JWs will look at those numbers and think HUNDREDS of women started abandoning their family.

If my comparisons are incorrect, someone, please let me know!

Justitia

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Paragraph 2. "In some countries, about half of the people who marry eventually divorce."

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/divorce.htm

Fifty Percent of American Marriages Are Ending in Divorce-Fiction!

bullet

Summary of Rumor: Marriage has deteriorated so much that half the marriages in the United States are failing. There is a 50 percent chance that your marriage will not make it.

bullet

The Truth:

Here are some examples from just a few Web sites on the Internet:

bullet"Fifty percent of marriages will end in divorce."
    — An infidelity support group
    bullet"Fifty percent of all marriages now end in divorce."
    — Promotion for a book on divorce
    bullet"Fifty percent of all marriages in America end in divorce."
    — From the treasurer's office of a Midwestern state
    bullet"Over 50 percent of marriages end in divorce."
    — From a men's counseling center in California
    Divorce is too common in America and that should not be taken lightly, but those who are committed to a lifetime of marriage don't need the discouragement accompanying the notion that half the marriages are going to self-destruct anyway.

I was once told by a young bride-to-be that she and her fiancé had decided not to say "Till death do us part" in their wedding vows because the odds of it really happening were only 50-50.

Let me say it straightforwardly: Fifty percent of American marriages are not ending in divorce. It's fiction. A myth. A tragically discouraging urban legend.

If there's no credible evidence that half of American marriages will end up in divorce court, where did that belief originate?

Demographers say there was increased focus on divorce rates during the 1970s when the number of divorces rose, partly as a result of no-fault divorce. Divorces peaked in 1979 and articles started appearing that claimed 50 percent of American marriages were ending in divorce.

A spokesperson for the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics told me that the rumor appears to have originated from a misreading of the facts. It was true, he said, if you looked at all the marriages and divorces within a single year, you'd find that there were twice as many marriages as divorces. In 1981, for example, there were 2.4 million marriages and 1.2 million divorces. At first glance, that would seem like a 50-percent divorce rate.

Virtually none of those divorces were among the people who had married during that year, however, and the statistic failed to take into account the 54 million marriages that already existed, the majority of which would not see divorce.

Another source for the 50-percent figure could be those who were trying to predict the future of divorce. Based on known divorce records, they projected that 50 percent of newly married young people would divorce. University of Chicago sociologist and researcher Linda Waite told USA Today that the 50-percent divorce stats were based more on assumptions than facts.

So what is the divorce picture in America? Surprisingly, it's not easy to get precise figures because some states don't report divorces to the National Center for Health Statistics, including one of the largest: California.

Some researchers have relied on surveys rather than government statistics. In his book Inside America in 1984, pollster Louis Harris said that only about 11 or 12 percent of people who had ever been married had ever been divorced. Researcher George Barna's most recent survey of Americans in 2001 estimates that 34 percent of those who have ever been married have ever been divorced.

One of the latest reports about divorce was released this year by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). It is based on a 1995 federal study of nearly 11,000 women ages 15-44. It predicted that one-third of new marriages among younger people will end in divorce within 10 years and 43 percent within 15 years. That is not a death sentence, however; it's a forecast. Martha Farnsworth Riche, former head of the Census Bureau, told USA Today, "This is what is going to happen unless we want to change it."

Most important, the statistics and predictions about Americans in general don't tell the whole story about the future. There are other factors that affect a person's chances for a long marriage. The NCHS study of women, for example, shows that age makes a difference. Women marrying before age 20 face a higher risk for divorce. Marriages that have already lasted for a number of years are less likely to end in divorce. If your parents did not divorce, your chances are better than if you came from a broken home. Couples who live together before marriage are more likely to divorce.

The bottom line is that marriage is still what it's always been: a commitment between two people who choose to remain faithful to each other. And they don't need to feel doomed because of scary statistics — least of all ones that are urban myths.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

This article really made me never ever want to go back to the KH. On the other hand if I thought that barfing was fun, it would be great to hear the comments when this is studied there. How many JW women studying this do you think will be completely insulted; how many will swallow it whole and not bat an eye? Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

Par. 5 - A single woman , therefore, needs to ask herself, 'Am I willing to enter into an arrangement in which I will come under the law of this man?'

No, every man does not have his own set of laws that anyone can be expected to obey.

Par. 6 - Yet, making a wise choice may be the hardest thing a woman ever does, since her desire for the closeness and love possible in marriage can be very strong.

Oh, gosh, I am just a foolish little woman, if only I had a man to make all the decisions for me...

Par. 7 - A woman should consider seriously what could be involved in being under the law of a man who proposes to her.

Again, women are under no laws that men are not under.

(dry heave, dry heave, dry heave)

• becca1
    becca1

Paragraph 12 takes the cake for me. To add to Peter's words, saying he meant abusive husbands as well, is just ridiculous!. How many of our sisters are going to be hurt by the warped logic in this paragraph? How many elders will use this paragraph to persuade a sister to stay with her abusive husband? This just makes me sooooo mad!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do the Nutters in Brooklyn really believe this manure is Food From Gawd?

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

Everytime I read this stuff, I get sick.

It makes me happy that, even though I was raised in this garbage, my own moral code came from me, not some outdated controlling view. Women are more important than men from a statistical viewpoint. They can HAVE CHILDREN. That contribution alone is more than a herd of men can make. Men have a very small part in the whole process.

Hurray for women :D !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit