The 613 Laws of JW's

by avidbiblereader 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Good points. Sometimes I think the elders know how fu$%$%^ insane there rules are, and are testing the waters to see just how much power they really have. Imagine what a trip it must be for a knowbody to give counsel on every single aspect of your life. In real life, such a fool would be laughed at and probably get there nose broken for overstepping their boundaries. They have the power to destroy lives and they know it. As much power as the r&f give them, which is everything. To them, with this power they behave like a bunch of schoolyard bullies who just got a new car with all the bells and whistles and want to know how everything works. They test all of the buttons insisting that you wear seatbelts and obey all rules while they wrecklessly drive anywhere they please and then exit the vehicle in a ball of flames leaving you trapped in your seatbelt. Rules indeed have taken on a life of their own. If Jesus walked into a kingdom hall today he would vomit in disgust. He would say what are you doing to my sheep. I never instructed any of this. Then he would tell the elders to humble themselves by taking the lowest of the congregation and give them power over the elders or else.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Still thinking of food...

Obviously they can't eat blood sausage.

Any cookies or small cakes shapped like christmas trees, valentines etc. was frowned upon.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

no dating outside the org

no marriage outside the org

no patriotism/ no flag flying

my personal experience: no listening to Micheal Jackson's Thriller album.

I couldn't wear parachute pants.

I couldn't spike up my hair like Sting. I couldn't grow my hair long like Kurt Cobain.

no worldly friends

no school sports

no after school clubs

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Bicycle pants are too tight and and revealing and therefore banned.

Women should only wear 1 piece swim suits (preferably just the bottom ).

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

At one point there was a lot of hoopla in my old congregation about wearing HEARTS on jewelry or anything.

As some have already pointed out, some of these are actual WT dictates, some of these are widely accepted but unwritten, and some of these just spring from over-zealous (or just plain stupid) regional SUGGESTIONS. If you were in a strict regional hall, your life was even more ridiculous.

Also, remember that the Fleur de Li is frowned upon (for historical symbolic reasons).

Oh yes and of course forget four-leafed clovers...

And incense!!! No, I'm not kidding. There was actually a small (ministry school) talk on this, and they said that EVEN tho' incense was known for use in religious rites, it was up to your own conscience as to use it yourself as an air freshener (but be careful not to stumble anybody!!!!) Gods forbid you actually relaxed while enjoying the incense... demonz (tm) might fly into your body.

Agh.
    Baba.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The following are documented [details provided upon request]:

1) Hot dog brands approved by the WT:

"Schneiders"

"Larsons"

"Maple Leaf"

2) No blood transfusions for pets.

3) Mice caught by your cat must be bled; otherwise, your pet should be restrained.

Points #2 and #3 related by Joan Cetnar, former Bethelite.

CoCo

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

CoCo, I find number 3 interesting. The family's farm cats kill mice and birds all the time.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Standing for the flag salute is ok, but standing for the National Anthem is not. Which brings me to this -- Just back in early December, there was a volleyball match between MSU and Air Force. I took my jw wife to see it(I play with a couple of the guys from there). As the teams were doing their intros, they then went right into the "Please stand for the National Anthem." I immediately hopped up and stood and my wife got up too. Right before I stood up, another guy I play with and his girlfriend were sitting right next to us and I was thinking, "Great. My wife is gonna stay seated while everyone else is standing." But to my extreme surprise, she stood as well. I was totally shocked. Of course, if there were any other witnesses in the crowd that she knew, she probably would have stayed seated. It's funny how some jw's will bend the rules when they know no one is watching.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit