80's Metal

by troucul 52 Replies latest social entertainment

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Def Leppard

I can not even count how many times I heard "Pour some sugar on me" when I was in High School.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hair metal had a few good moments, but it became such an embarrassing parody of itself by the early 90's. I think "Cherry Pie" was the nadir of hyped-up, depressingly unartistic cheese whiz that the genre reached. I couldn't take one minute of MTV back in the late 80's/early 90's.

Thank God Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder put an end to that mess.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Thank God Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder put an end to that mess.

I agree. I liked some of the new wave bands. In the past few years Andy has hepped me to a lot of British New Wave bands and music I never heard at the time.[They mostly never were known in the USA at the time] I stuck with oldies music and REM, B-52's, U2 and the occasional 80's pop by John Cougar(Mellancamp), Bryan Adams, etc. Oh yes and I forgot Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers and Traveling Wilburys. Then there was the Cure and such. I did like some of the Cult music, but didn't hear it until the 90's. I liked Inxs. None of the above were hair metal/head banger bands.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

Don't forget PANTERA!!!, before "dimebag" darrell it was "diamond" darrell.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I was surprised that Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Metallica and the Scorpions didn't make the first cut...

• Jourles
    Jourles
    Now that I think of it, Dave Mustaine from Megadeth, wasn't his mom a witness?

Yep, and Dave was raised as a witness(never baptized) until he was a young teen or tween. I believe they lived in La Mesa, CA. It's wonderful knowing that the WTS probably helped fuel Dave's musical talents by letting him get his anger out. I would love to sit down with Dave sometime and interview him about his jw upbringing.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I wasn't going to comment on this thread. I really wasn't. I swear, I swear, I swear I wasn't.

But...when I read this:

After reading this i can gladly say..thank God Nirvana came along!!

I find that I must say:

As a former musician (semi-pro) who was in a few bands during the late 80's/early90's, all I can say is that I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read that.

OK, so now that I'm posting, I might as well ruffle a few feathers (friendly like).

Nirvana...Uhg. What can I say? They had a similar effect like the Beatles did on music. With regard to heavier music, starting with Nirvana, it became (once again - as with the Beatles) acceptable to notbe able to play an instrument or sing and yet still become famous. Wait, wait, wait...bear with me here. For a very long time after them, and even to this day, any jackass could/can walk into a pawn shop, buy an old Fender guitar, and think they are a musician worthy of a record deal. To clarify, I am here bemoaning the reality of what happens in the music biz, not what should happen. If you are a good musician, you should get ahead. Sadly, it doesn't happen that way many times. The excellent band, Pearl Jam, not withstanding, it was certainly quite sad that Alternative Metal in general put the nail in the coffin of regular Heavy Metal/Speed Metal. I feel I deserve the right to make those statements based on the fact that I worked and practiced for a very, very long time to get quite good at playing and it offends me what some bands get away with (past or present).

While it is certainly true that old Jimmy H and other (borderline) Heavy Metal acts were creative, many were not actually all that talented. Just....different. And I say borderline, because many bands have been mentioned that can't rightly be called "Metal". I think somebody mentioned Zepplin. Huh? Sorry, that's not metal - but I digress. Steppenwolf was mentioned. I can't even tell you how many times I have had to play "Born to Be Wild" while on some smokey stage in a bar. I cringe every time I hear that song now. Sorry, but from a strictly musical standpoint that song bites. Seriously, no offense, but it really does. But, they (and others) did open some doors of creativity. You get excellent, excellent bands like Iron Maiden coming along after them. Certain Heavy Metal bands like Iron Maiden are a bit like Mozart on crack. (talent level-wise)

Many metal bands from the 80's had a few catchy songs, but you can't rightly lump the Quiet Riots, Motley Crues, Poisons, and Ratts of the world in with bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Queensryche, and Metallica. (rant on) With the qualifier on Metallica of strictly albums 2, 3 and 4 (Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All) being good - and no they have not returned to their roots with St. Anger as was mentioned - they still suck haaaaaard like they have done ever since the black album/hair cutting fiasco. If you don't agree, go back and listen to Ride the Lightning, or even better, Master of Puppets. That was actual musicianship. Not white trash, NASCAR loving, infantile, crap. NASCAR reference is from Fuel (a song I despise). "Gimme' fuel, Gimme' fire, Gimme' that which I desire". Oh...my...frigging...God...vomit. What stupid, stupid, crap. (rant off )

What was my point agsin?...er...I don't remember now.

Damn them dubs for making me quit playing music!

BTW, if any of you get a chance to see Queensryche performing their current Operation Mindcrime tour, it is a cool experience. Be forwarned that it is not a "concert" but rather a rock opera type experience - both of their Mindcrime albums are concept albums. They play both albums all the way through from start to finish with one break between the two albums. I don't recommend it unless you at least own Mindcrime 1 though. It will seem ...."weird".

Good night everybody!

LittleDrummerBoy (of the actual drummer class)

• juni
    juni

I like Aerosmith and did anyone mention Twisted Sister and their new Christmas CD?

Juni- Actually Aerosmith started in the ' 70s.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I know what you mean LDB. However, I think it was a good thing that Nirvana killed the crappy wanna-be pop metal hair band genre. I really hated Nirvana and never really bothered listening to them until after Kurt died but I rather like them now. Virtuoso's they weren't, but their music resonated with a crowd that was tired of big haired bands doing lousey "rock" ballads with an Eddie Van Halen style solo thrown in the middle.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    with Nirvana, it became (once again - as with the Beatles) acceptable to not be able to play an instrument or sing and yet still become famous.

man....I dunno....there's a real art in being able to get wonderful noise out of a Fender Jaguar or whatever plugged into a fuzzed out Marshall turned up way past any sensible volume...not too many people can do it, imo. I love Nirvana. And don't forget Dave Grohl's part in the equation - the next time you hear "Come As You Are", pay attention to how absolutely perfect the drumming is on that song.

For a very long time after them, and even to this day, any jackass could/can walk into a pawn shop, buy an old Fender guitar, and think they are a musician worthy of a record deal.

yeah, but most of them are just that, jackasses who will not pass go or collect $200....Cobain had something to say, even though he was crazy and as cynical as cynical could be...maybe that's where the brilliance lay with him.

I couldn't agree more about Metallica's sad spiral into an artistic non-entity, when they had been so brilliant in the 80's. I got rid of Puppets, Lightning, and Justice when I became a jaydub, and I just can't bring myself to repurchase them now, just because I find their current sucky suckiness to be so unbearable. I think the downward spiral started with the song "Don't Tread on Me" from the Black album. James must have co-wrote that turkey with Ted Nugent or something, it's so "i'm gonna wave my flag and kick your ass" goofy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit