any help about this matter?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

" it is the only organization on earth that
    preaches the good news about God's Kingdom."

Let's see:

Going out selling or distributing magazines is not preaching - it is selling.

Most religious organization preach. They may use the same constricted definition of preaching as the wts, but they do "preach."

Their preaching is far more effective as compared to the wts.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

They are by no means the only organization preaching a message about Jesus. But more importantly, they are preaching a false message. Their teachings are demonstrably wrong, so why would god be impressed that they have spread them around?

And while their tiny group has preachers in all corners of the earth, they have still been wildly ineffective. For all the effort they've put in, only a slow trickle of new converts are brought in. While other groups are experiencing significant increases.

If anything, the billion hours a year of preaching and the mere handful of converts it produces should stand as proof that they DO NOT have god's blessing.

Dave

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Most jws are not aware that there are other religious organizations out there doing preaching work (much better too) because they are not allowed to do that kind of research. Jws assume that they are the only ones doing the work because that is what they are told by the society.

• Scully
    Scully

Would Jehovah's Witnesses be preaching if the WTS did not require them to do so?

What the WTS has set up, in effect, is a circular logic/self-fulfilling prophecy. The WTS requires JWs to preach. The WTS says that Matt 24:14 says that preaching the good news is what identifies the true religion (it doesn't say that in reality!). By requiring JWs to preach the good news sell WTS literature where ever they are, they are fulfilling scripture.

Circular reasoning at its finest.

So the question to your friend should be: if the Preaching Work™ or the reporting thereof suddenly became optionalwould JWs still participate in it?

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Scully:

Thank you for some good pointers. Can anyone
    else think of some reasonable things to say?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Gregor
    Gregor

What I find of interest in your post is your friend. He seems to fall into that category of miserable zombies who are not in good standing with the borg. (probably DF'd for some sexual transgression) but their minds are still under WTS control. They feel they are doomed to die at Armageddon but don't have the willpower to get back in. Horrible.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Was Jesus know as the great Preacher, or.................Teacher?

Outaservice

• NanaR
    NanaR

Wanderer,

THE PREACHING WORK PROVES IT IS THE TRUTH

My best friend is now out of the organization. However, he still defends
    the Society because he claims " it is the only organization on earth that
    preaches the good news about God's Kingdom."

The preaching work can only "prove" the Watchtower Society to be "the truth" if what they are preaching about God's Kingdom is the truth. For the Watchtower message to be "the truth" about the Kingdom, we have to swallow the whole Gentile Times chronology. We have to believe that Jerusalem was destroyed 20 years earlier than all recorded history says it was. We have to believe that a prophecy in Daniel about a Babylonian king (Nebuchadnezzar) somehow relates to God's kingdom disappearing from this earth for 2520 solar years (which time period is arrived at by counting "a day for a year" and making THOSE years 360 days (who ever heard of a 360 day year, anyway?)). Then we have to believe that Jesus took Kingdom power in heaven almost 100 years ago but still hasn't really done anything to FIX the world. (This argument is not mine -- it is found in an article by a friend of mine. He sent me the article in email. If you can pm me, I'll try to find out if he minds if I send you the article.)

Oh yeah, we have to swallow that a God of love is planning "very soon" to destroy billions of people due to their rejection of the aforementioned "good news" even though many of them have never heard of it.

Ask your good friend to define exactly what he means by "the good news about God's Kingdom". That would be a place to start.

NanaR

• jgnat
    jgnat

If the preaching work is the sign that it is the truth, then the Mormons win.

Or the producers of the Jesus film. http://www.jesusfilm.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit