THE PREACHING WORK PROVES IT IS THE TRUTH

by The wanderer 45 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah. The good news as preached by the Witnesses is not even the good news in the NT. The WT good news is "You, too can live forever on paradise earth." The bible good news is that "Jesus is risen, you are no longer a slave to sin."

• Scully
    Scully

Another thing:

Is Matthew 24:14 an actual "commandment" to preach, or is it something else?

And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.

It is, in fact, a statement, or a prediction, but it is NOT a commandment by any means.

What, actually, does the Bible provide as a commandment and say is definitive proof of being disciples of Jesus?

I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves. ~ John 13: 34, 35

Then you get to discuss various aspects of WTS teachings and judge whether they are loving or not.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Wanderer:

With me, it was thinking about the door to door preaching work that convinced me the Witnesses did not have the truth.

First, I realized that we weren't really going house to house preaching anything - we were offering literature, and very, very rarely actually talking with someone. An explanation of any depth about the good news was at maybe one house in a 1000.

Second, it pissed off and upset way more people than it attracted. The h-to-h work seems more like an anti-Witness.

Third, I remember vividly the moment when I had a breakthrough realizing that this work was just terribly ineffective, especially for a life and death message. God would never use the method, if his goal was to not have anyone die at the Big A. Hey, he's god. A couple of awesome displays of his power, and even the Iman's would be shouting his praise.

Really, take a serious look at the method and what it really accomplishes. When I did, it was a serious factor in my leaving.

S4

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Besides what others have said, point him to the articles that said that the preaching work was to end in the 20th century, ask him, why is it still going on? If that was the truth, then he should now be in the paradise earth. God's Kingdom should have taken over the rulership of this old world back in the twentieth century. What happened to the truth?

Blueblades

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Board Members:

Thank you for all the pointers and suggestions
    regarding on how to speak to my friend regarding
    the preaching work.

Special thanks to Scully and Blueblades because
    they both hit on somethings that I will use.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Just go on Youtube, search for "witnessing" or "preaching" and see how many videos of non-JW preachers there are.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

As a basis for their preaching work, they cite the preaching work of Noah prior to the flood. There is nothing in the old testament to suggest he did any preaching at all, but there is a verse in the new testament that calls him a "preacher of righteousness". Based on that description, the Watchtower has created a whole story about Noah the Preacher.

I don't have any references at hand, but I recall a thread where this "preacher of righteousness" scripture was shown to be a mistranslation. It doesn't actually convey the idea of Noah preaching at all. So the whole idea of preach-before-destroy dissolves. Anybody have a reference to that handy? Or know the verse, so we could look it up in a few other translations?

Dave

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Whoops! I just looked around for references on that "preacher of righteousness" bit. Maybe I was just making up that "mistranslation" idea, 'cause it looks like everybody else words it that way, too. Moreover, there are articles all over the web that discuss Noah's "preaching" work before the flood. Whether it's true or not, it's clear the Watchtower isn't the only show in town saying it.

Sorry for the misinformation!

Dave

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Matthew 24:14, I believe was fullfilled in 1st century. At Colossians 1:23 Paul said it was preached "in all creation under the heaven." The end came in 70CE. It has no greater fullfillment like the Watchtower wants you to believe.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear The Wanderer,

Ditto my DFed friend!

Please see IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM: The Greatness of the Good News, pp. 524-554, by Ray Franz.

Franz provides ample proof that literature [much of which is read by neither the public NOR JWs] placements are not effectively spreading what the WT calls the "Good News":

"A very large part of the witness that IS given, then, in effect goes 'into the air,' with no genuine, telling effect. It is as if the distribution of hundreds of millions of publications of itself supplies an organizational sense of accomplishment, with no real concern that the vast majority remains unread." --p. 533

There's more!

Compound-Complex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit