"I wanted to throw the book across the room"

by GetBusyLiving 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving
    Don't get caught. You will make US look bad.

You will bring reproach on Danny Hazards name..

GBL

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've shredded a few wts and awakes, it felt good

• Terry
    Terry

I frequently go back over things in my mind related to when I was a good little JW. I marvel! Where was my mind??

I'm convinced now it was a social need I was plugged into; my mind had little enough to do with it other than grind away as if working a puzzle in the newspaper.

The book studies and Watchtower studies are chewing gum for the brain. That's all. Mindless repetitions. A little speck of flavor that teases and then vanishes slowly until you've got a mere nothing working around inside you.

The earlier books during the 40's, 50's and early 60's were pinpoint claims that bible prophecies were exactly fulfilled by conventions and pronouncements of Jehovah's Witnesses! Ridiculous claims, actually. Embarassing claims. There were two fulfillments of every prophecy in the bible back then! The so-called "greater fulfillment" always laid at the doorstep of the Watchtower's activitiies. The phrases of "greater" this and "greater" that were commonplace.

Now that has faded from consciousness. I'll bet 75% of the people posting on this board are totally UNAWARE of it.

I'll compare being a Jehovah's Witness to a group of people who are constantly given simple puzzles to solve with huge clues attached. They engage what is left of their brain and imagine they are so smart when they solve the puzzle. The New Light doctrine is the puzzle with clues. All you have to do is puzzle out how you are going to manage to make yourself BELIEVE the load of crap and then explain it to others without making their eyes roll back in their head!

(Often, it wasn't until I had to EXPLAIN these doctrines that I became consciously aware of how ludicrous and nonsensical they were!

I never wanted to throw a book across the room. I wanted to masturbate my brain by rubbing the Watchtower language all over my intellect and then heave a sigh of self-satisfaction that I was in the only "true" religion!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll be studying the Revelation book. Pray for me.

• sspo
    sspo

In january I'll be feeling that when we start studying the rev book once more and have to listen at its application toward the GB and the Borg.

• Will Power
    Will Power

I'll be praying that there's lots of Rev. books being thrown across the room!

Terry: Great analogy about the puzzle thing. My JW MIL would do the newspaper crosswords every day and would always have a snide remark when they'd misspell something just to fit it in - boy if I knew then what I know now - I'd have a empathetic remark or 2 LOL

wp

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

At the end what finally did it for me as the "Daily Text" . That injection of mental acid which we were supposed to taken in every morning. The applications of the scriptures had NO relavence to the actual descriptions. The last ones that I read were at the end of 2005 and they had gone beyond the pale. Utter rubbish

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I wanted to cry when I got the "Help for Arthritis Sufferers" issue of the Afake! back in the Fall of 2001. Such excrutiating banality, it was surreal to me. Like I was in a comic strip that was poking fun at JWism, only it was real life.

Just imagine...a world without...Arthritis?????? You expect me to go d2d and offer this????

"Hi, my name is DanTheMan and this is X. We were just in your neighborhood today sharing a scriptural hope from the Bible. Have you ever wondered if there will ever be a world where people don't suffer from diseases like....Arthritis??????"

I still just shake my head in amazement over that one.

• mavie
    mavie

Haven't thrown one, but was with a group who shot a NWT with a rifle...forget the caliber, but it was big.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

No but I did often picture myself standing up in the middle of another local needs talk about something mind bendingly stupid and screaming SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! The PO in my old hall was a hard nose and he wrote "local needs" talks all the time. It was more like his own thoughts on how kids were evil and women were evil and everyone but his precious son was evil. All that good stuff. I am sure had I done that, the electric cow prod would have been used on me to keep me in line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit