"Jehovah God"

by Jeffro 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Jeffro, I have revived several topic threads (not just ones started by you) which are more than 10 years old - and I will likely do so again and again. I see nothing inappropriate with that. You seem irritated by me reviving old topic threads. If that is annoying to you, why is that the case?

The main reason why I posted to old topic threads is because apparently Simon the moderator months ago put a restriction on my account which prevents me from creating new topic threads. [I thus now can only make posts to already existing topic threads; I no longer can create new topic threads. As a result, if I wish to post a comment I have to find an already existing topic thread, even if very very old, in which to post my comment. I now have no other choice when posting to this web site.] He apparently did that because he incorrectly thought I was intentionally spamming (instead of unintentionally spamming), because a number of times I created multiple topic threads with essentially the same content.

But the reason why I created multiple topic threads with essentially the same information was due to technical difficulties. Those specific posts were delayed in posting to such an extent that I thought they hadn't been fully received by Simon's computer system due to problems with my 46 Kbps dial-up modem based internet connection (which sometimes disconnects me from the internet while attempting an upload) and outdated computer system (and I also thought that perhaps some wording or punctuation in the title of my posts' topic thread created a technical glitch). As a result I made repeated attempts to upload them. Many hours later they posted, resulting in Simon having to delete the duplicates.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

But it wasn’t just because you can’t create new threads yourself. It was because you were checking out my history because of a perceived dispute in a different thread.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Those specific posts were delayed in posting to such an extent that I thought they hadn't been fully received by Simon's computer system due to problems with my 46 Kbps dial-up modem based internet connection (which sometimes disconnects me from the internet while attempting an upload) and outdated computer system

Wow. Sorry to derail the thread, but how do you manage to have dial up still? Please excuse my ignorance but have you set it up yourself or .....who is your ISP?

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Jeffro in your case of you I discovered this old topic thread and another because I wanted to understand you better, due to a perceived dispute. But I posted on very old topic threads by others even months before I started posting on your two very old topic threads. Furthermore I chose your two topic threads because I found them interesting and wanted to express my views about the topics.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Disiullusioned JW:

due to problems with my 46 Kbps dial-up modem based internet connection

I think the main problem you would have there is that there is no such thing as a "46 Kbps" modem. You probably mean 56. Either way, upgrade.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Diogenesister, Dial UP works OK for me most of the time provided the web pages I am accessing are mostly text, without a lot of Javascript and provided they are coded in a way which is compatible with older versions of web page coding standards. The ISP I am using is located in the USA and is call DialUp4Less (see https://www.dialup4less.com/ ). Before I opened an account with them, the company representative asked me several questions on the phone to make sure I realized the kind of ISP I was signing up for. After I told the representative that I have a circa year 2002 computer running Windows 2000 (later I switched to somewhat newer computer running XP) and that I primarily want to read articles (and not watch videos at home) and that I often have Javascript turned off and that I have been using Dial Up since the 1990s, I was allowed to create an account with them.It wasn't easy for me to find that company. I also found another dial up company, one which is by the company which bought out AOL (and thus Netscape) a very long time ago, as well as the Computerserve brand name and Netscape's (and/or AOL's?) dial up internet ISP, but I didn't like the terms of its service agreement (see https://isp.netscape.com/ and https://www.aol.com/ ). The last time I checked (a few years ago) AOL's (America Online's) dial up internet service was still used in those rural areas of the USA which do not have good access to wireless internet service.

The browser edition I am using at home on my Windows XP computer is Firefox ESP 52.9.0 (32-bit), since it is most up to date browser which can run on a Windows XP computer system.

One of these days I hope to switch to a Linux based computer system. I first tried installing Linux way back in the year 2000, but I never managed to get a version of Linux to run completely well on any computer of mine (at best the problem was with video when running software which displayed text, such as word processors); many times the install process would freeze up well before getting near to being fully installed.

When I need a better internet experience, than what I have at home, I use the computers in the break room at work (including after work) and the computers in the local public library. I now have a laptop with Windows 10 (I installed the 2021 Edition Update last Thursday onto it) and I hope to get modem drivers installed onto it so I can use a current browser edition (on the better computer) at home using my dial up connection. I already bought a serial to USB adapter for it and properly installed the drivers for it onto the laptop. Eventually I will get broadband internet (perhaps with 'cable' TV and digital phone) at my home, or by getting a smartphone with a Wi-Fi hot spot, or by getting a tablet computer with cell phone data capability and a Wi-Fi hot spot. But that will only be after I find a plan which is cheap enough for my liking.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Jeffro I have a 56 Kbps modem but on my phone line it never connects at that speed. The highest speed it connects at on my phone line to my ISP is at 46.6 Kbps, hence I said my connection is at 46 Kbps on my dial-up modem. But yes, the modem itself is rated at 56 Kbps.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding CompuServe see https://www.compuserve.com/home/about.jsp and https://www.compuserve.com/ . Back in the 1990s I had AOL (it is still in business) and later CompuServe for a period of time. I really liked CompuServe except for its pricing. Later I switched to a straight internet only (one without a database service) dial up company. A few years ago I bought a like-new condition soft brief case with the CompuServe brand name on it. I carry my Windows 10 laptop in it, when I bring my laptop to my place of work to use WiFi (such as to download drivers and Windows 10 Updates onto it).

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: There is a major editing error in what I posted to Diogenesister. Where I said "... I was allowed to create an account with them.It wasn't easy for me to find that company" I meant to say the following. "I was allowed to create an account with them. It wasn't easy for me to find that company."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    jayhawk Silly people, God is Jehovah's last name.

I thought his name was Harold. As in, 'Harold be thy name.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit