"Jehovah God"

by Jeffro 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

moggy lover: also Exodus 9:30; 2 Samuel 7:25; Psalm 72:18 (+ "God of Israel); 80:5,20; 84:9, 12 (+ tsebaot, "of Hosts"); 1 Chronicles 17:16f; 28:20; 29:1; 2 Chronicles 1:9; 6:41f; 26:18. The distribution and contexts imo suggest late liturgical use. Interestingly the LXX reads either ho theos or kurios ho theos in Genesis 2--3, which might suggest the MT consistency there to be late and artificial.

To me the French Jéhovah Dieu is even weirder than the English "Jehovah God," for the lack of any applicable syntax of juxtaposition in French. Together with Satan le Diable ("Satan the Devil," which is not even Biblical) they sound like the mistranslated names of cartoon characters.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

It always bugged me too. It almost seems childish, like saying 'moo cow', 'pussy cat' or 'car car'.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Jeffro, the name/expression "Jehovah God" never seemed awkward to me, just as the expression "Jesus Christ" never seemed awkward to me. While I was a JW I frequently used the expression "Jehovah God", possibly more often than I said "Jehovah" independent of the word "God".

Now I try to use the name 'Yahweh", but that name seems odd to me since for majority of my life I never used it. It probably also seems odd to me since all English Bibles (such as KJV, ASV, RSV, NKJV), except for some Sacred Name Bibles (such as ones which say 'Yeshua" instead of "Jesus") or hyper literal Bibles, have multiple names (such as "Jeremiah") in the scripture text which begin with a "J" but no names (to my knowledge) which begin with a "Y".

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think it's a way of adding honorifics to a person, to demonstrate just how great their stature is. With the idea that god is the ultimate being, it gets a bit out of hand, what with being called Almighty God, The Almighty, Jehovah God, Our Lord Jehovah, and so on.

I'd like to see a competition to see who could come up with the most over-the-top description. "Lord Jehovah God the Almighty, God of Armies, Ultimate Bad-Ass, Best God ever AND Best Human ever, Father of the Universe and Everything in it, the Best at Everything and -apologies to Moses- the Most Humble Being Ever to Exist."

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Clarification: Some non-Sacred Name non-hyper literal Bibles, such as the New Jerusalem Bible, say "Yahweh", though they still say Jeremiah and Jesus and Joshua, instead of Yeremiah, Yeshua, and Yoshua.

• Terry
    Terry

Once your ear adjusts to the constant rhythmic dit Duh dit Duh (Jehovah God) it becomes very natural.
    Same thing with Christ Jesus instead of Jesus Christ.
    Same as "torture stake" instead of Cross.
    Same as Kingdom Hall instead of Church.

In fact, brainwashing wipes away what binds our conscious minds to a historical Christianity and REPLACES
    everything with a CUCKOO'S EGG religious interloper cult.

Constant use like constant rain becomes white noise and we only begin to notice again if things go silent.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

How many 16 year old threads are you planning to dredge up?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Let's remember in the case of the O.T the writers, who were the Jews that came to Judah after the Babylonian Exile, they may have incorporated, and edited and redacted earlier Works, but they are the Writers.

They were well aware of the other gods worshipped by the people they settled back among, and they were trying to establish Yahweh as their god, with no other to be worshipped. So the text they came up with made it clear, not only that it was Yahweh that was being written about, but that he was THE god to worship. Obfuscating the truth that Yahweh was adopted quite late into the basically Canaanite Pantheon their Israelite ancestors worshipped.

• Gorb
    Gorb

The last years in the organisation I only used the prase "heavenly father" and "almighty father in heaven".

Of course I was more and more on the elders radar.

G.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

When I was in I would hear super righteous at the hall comment or prey " Geehovah this Geehovah that" using the name 50 million times in on setting. What a kiss ass. I'm sure if God was listening he would be annoyed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit