"Family day" Is this a new jdub thing?

by cultswatter 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

I know of JWs that celebrate "family day" at this time of year. I have asked these JW about where they got the term "family day" Was it from the watchtower? I ask them

They seem to deny the watchtower had ever mentioned "family day", but I can sense they are trying to hide something here. So that is why I come onto this site to ask if any of the members of JWD have ever heard of "family day"?

My take on it is "family day " Is the JW version of Christmas. I was invited to a family day last year and there was presents but no tree.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I remember from when I was a JW that some thought it would be a good idea to have a family day or present day as a replacement for Christmas (which in my view was an excellent idea). However this was short lived and a local needs talk dealt with the matter by suggesting that replacing Christmas celebrations was just as bad as celebrating them in the first place.

Control control control....

Gary

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

We always had a family day growing up. I know of several families in our area, including elders and ms that did the same thing.

I think the issue came with when people would do this so close to Christmas, it was not much different then celebrating the big bad pagan day itself.

I do remember a few years back (longer then that I suppose) where the District Convention (here in Detroit) brought out in a skit that people were having Special Days for individuals, complete with a cake and whatnot. Apparently, that was too close to a Birthday, so via skit they showed how wrong it was.

Why it's ok to celebrate 2 people for their Anniversary is beyond me.

• caligirl
    caligirl

We always had family day growing up, usually January or February. We now refer to it as our childhood "un-christmas"

• restrangled
    restrangled

We had a Family day, usually after the first of the year for the after Christmas sales. My dad would have received his bonus check and we went shopping for everyone in our immediate family. Toys, clothing, appliances, etc. It was nice because it made up for Christmas.

We always had huge family get togethers over holidays, and most times we were taken out of school ahead of time. It was a way to make things special and in reality they were. Many cousins visiting, out of school early, and myself and my brothers would watch out the large picture window for our cousins to arrive. They were magical times and one of the better memories I have.

If we weren't having visitors, we were traveling to see them. My absolute favotrite memory is of getting called out of class close to Thanksgiving to make the 8 hour trip up to a Wisconsin farm to see my favorite cousins. We went 4 times a year. My 2 brothers and I always packed into the back seat of my Dad's latest sports car, (it was always tight) but we were so happy.

Sorry to go on......Just the good memories as a JW kid.

r.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

We had a family day as well. every couple of years. it was nice to get gifts from our parents and to give one another gifts. We missed out on lots as JW children.

Ours was generally held Oct - Dec. I knew other people including elders families who would have family day on the parents wedding anniversary.

• nsrn
    nsrn

I never heard of it. Got to be pretty new, or I am just old........of course my folks were very old school and didn't allow anything that could have been interpreted as a Christmas gift exchange in our home.

I can count on ONE HAND the 'gifts' I received as a kid. From anyone.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I remember "family day" from when I was in the borg over 30 years ago. It is just there way of skirting the issue. Let's face it. They all want to celebrate Christmas, birthdays and the like, but are affraid of losing their status in the watchliar sociopath society, so they candy coat it up to be a "family day". Just borg double-speak.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

There is also "Turkey Day". I bet you can guess about when that day is.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I don't remember it being called "family day" but we did have several days throughout December and January and it was filled with gifts and such. But my mother always made sure that during the holidays I was out of school and we would do something fun. But I also remember there being a local needs talk about people taking their kids to pumpkin farms around Halloween or Thanxgiving and how that look too much like celebrating those holidays. As we all know no matter what JWs do, it is never good enough, the higher ups always have to find fault, you never want a man who starts to learn to walk to take his first steps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit