"Family day" Is this a new jdub thing?

by cultswatter 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mulan
    Mulan

We knew lots of JW's who did that. The first time I heard of it was back in the late 70's. One of my friends had a large fig tree house plant and put the presents under that. Hilarious.

We started doing it on our anniversary, and had gifts for all the kids and a special dinner. Our anniversary is December 29, so it was very timely.

• lilparrottx
    lilparrottx

My step father was one of five kids, and on each of his sibling's wedding anniversaries (and my grandparent's as well) the whole family would get together. Every child in attendance got a present, as well as gifts for the anniversary couple. We didnt call it "family day," but it WAS like having 6 Xmas's a year!

When my friends at school would feel sorry for me at Xmas time, I used to brag about getting presents all year long, instead of just at Xmas and birthdays. Even as a child, I knew it was a "replacement" celebration.

My step father is a PO now, and so is my uncle.

Nate

• detective
    detective

I wonder why these "family days" don't include the disfellowshipped? After all, they are still family, right? And it isn't an officially sanctioned biblically-inspired day- so you'd think it might be okay. You know, if people didn't eat together, but just gave each other "I appreciate you" family gifts. It might actually be a celebration of families then.

• detective
    detective

Just about a week ago I heard an awkward witnessing from one CVS employee to another. You know, just loud enough so that everyone at every corner of the store could hear it. The woman went on and on about how Christmas was pagan blah,blah,blah ( i almost intervened but was interested to see what the teenage girl behind the counter would say)...

Anyway, the poor teenager behind the counter was clearly humoring her, half-heartedly asking things about what they do celebrate etc. The JW woman enthusiastically said, "oh, we're big on weddings and wedding anniversaries, graduations... and we celebrate Jesus' death. We have a big celebration around that). I nearly busted out laughing at that point. What a great party! A death party.

Then she launched into that"we buy each other presents all year long thing"

Even my husband, who often defends the witnesses, called that "all year long thing" a bunch crap. he said his family never did that.

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

so family day is practiced by jehovahs witnesses only. They are trying to break away from the borg by inventing their own social dues

• Mulan
    Mulan

so do JW's really think non witnesses only give and receive presents at Christmas and birthdays? That's ridiculous. I can't recall if I actually ever believed that. I remember saying it though.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

You know, I had friends who had "family day", right after Christmas. They took advantage of the "after Christmas" sales, wrap gifts, etc... Its pretty funny when you think about it. They really are having Christmas!! I used to always think it was a little like walking a fine line..but who was I to judge!! They weren't calling it Christmas! Oh what a joke!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• dmouse
    dmouse

Yes, we had a 'family day' when we would buy presents for each other and our kids - our wedding anniversary on December 3rd.

Now we are divorced she has moved it to January, presumably to take advantage of the sales.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit