"Family day" Is this a new jdub thing?

by cultswatter 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

"Family day" is not an official WTS policy/doctrine and you will not find anything in the publications nor hear anything about it from the platform.

It is one of those secret, behind the scenes ways that individual JWs use to circumvent official doctrine.

I have heard that rather than celebrate a person's birthday on the exact date that some individual JWs celebrate it 6 months later with cake, decorations, and gifts

Blondie

• Bryan
    Bryan

Back in the early 80's I married into a family that had a family day (I don't think they called it that) in Feb. In the one family there was the PO and two other elders. They would rent a place. All the kids received wrapped gifts. As you can guess, these three elders ran the congo.

Bryan

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

My JW family has "Family Day" every year (and my bil is an elder, too). I still show up for it. The date is different every year ... usually whenever everyone ends up with enough money for presents. Funny thing is ... we never did this when I was growing up. We started doing it when my neice and nephew were little ... about 10 years ago. We would all get together and eat dinner and give wrapped presents to the kids. About 3 years ago, I talked them into doing our own version of secret santa ... we draw names and buy a present for one of the adults. I think it is hilarious that they justify doing it, but I just joke about it being their "festivus". Every year, I threaten to put up an aluminum pole. (only Seinfeld fans will get the reference). I think its good for the kids ... I don't how they twist their reasoning to justify it.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Wow, I've never heard of this. I wish I had a family day when I was younger.

I think it's a great thing if a majority of the dubs are doing their own personal version of the holidays. To me it demonstrates that weakening grip that the wt corp has on it's members.

• TheListener
    TheListener

My family had a family day almost each year.

That was multiple decades ago :)

Unofficial way to make the kids feel good and not so left out. My parents were convinced that if they didn't supplement the holiday stuff with their own fun family things us kids would leave the truth. hahahahahaha - here I am anyway.

I loved family day.

• bubble
  • bubble
    bubble

Whoops, hit enter by mistake. We had 'present' day which we celebrated on our wedding anniversary in June. It made us feel less guilty about denying our kids a christmas celebration!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

We had "family day" too growing up. It was not a yearly thing tho.

• mama1119
    mama1119

We did, but it was usually around the parents anniversary.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

We had a "present day" usually in June when I finished the school year. My parents were cheap, so the presents always sucked ass. I remember asking for an alarm clock, and I got a wind up piece of shit that I hated. This was in the 1990s when digital alarm clocks existed and were affordable. I eventually built my own digital alarm clock out of an old VCR. Another year, I asked for a watch and got one that would be suitable for a five year old, but didn't fit me. None of my "present days" were very memorable.

My wife and I attended a surprise "present day" not too long ago thrown by my mother. I got a floppy disk case that holds about 5 floppies (who the hell uses floppies extensively anymore?) and my wife got some ugly woven geese. My wife has enjoyed making fun of "present day" ever since :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit